I've never had a panic attack before and now I am

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi, I'm 20 years old and have never had anxiety before, but all of a sudden last week I was sitting watching tv and my heart started to race and I just got really really scared and felt nauseous. It was a really strange sensation and I felt totally disconnected and out of touch from reality like i was going to lose myself. I have never felt this before and since then Ive had it twice again. I've been in the middle of eating dinner and all of a sudden I cant eat and have a lump in my throat. Im not sure what to do about it as all I feel like doing is hiding and sleeping to see if the feeling is gone when i wake up. 

Im also not sure if all these feeling is because im moving away from home for a year to the other side of the world. Im just extremely confused and would do anything to feel normal again sad has anyone got any advice for me?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It isn't easy to control anxiety but the more you fear the worst it becomes.  Try and be level headed when it happens and control your breathing. Breath slowly and continuously until the attack dies down.  I hope you feel better soon.

Richard

• Posted

Hi, the move is probably what has started your painattacks if u haven't suffered before, jus remember although it's an awful feeling havin an attack nothing bad is going to happen to you, I have suffered 7 years with panic disorder I was having them daily more than once, I have only just tried to sort it out I am due to start cbt therapy and take 400mg citrolapram which really helps me, but if u have only jus started getting attacks try.and think of the reason, when I had my first attack I thought I was dying I went to hospital I jus couldn't calm down the nurse gave me a paper bag to breath.slowly into because the reason ur havin an attack is there.is too much oxygen in ur body so you need to get co back into ur body,try it next time hope it helps 
  • Posted

Hi Lola, 

It is anxiety you are suffering with. I am 28 and have sways been a very relaxed person until last year. I started University and I was sat in class one day and like you my heart started racing. I thought There was something wrong with me. It really frightened me and being scared made it worse because the more I worried the more my heart would race. The same thing happened after a night out and I ended up in hospital- I thought I'd been drugged, my whole body was shaking I was freezing cold, my heart was racing, I felt sick and paranoid- so paranoid I had to ask the doctor for a quiet place to go as I thought everyone was looking at me. Doctors told me it was just anxiety but I have seen many doctors since and They all told me the same. I am calmer now I haven't had a panic attack since because I finally know there's nothing wrong with me. Key for stopping the anxiety for me is being happy and worry free.

The thing that got me was that I didn't feel worried when starting uni but in my unconscious mind I was I guess. 

I would recommend you give up caffeine and access sugar if you take these. Also cigarettes make me anxious and alcohol spirits too. I have a balanced diet and I exercise alot which really helps me tired and sleep well (which I struggled with).

Are you travelling alone or with someone?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.