I've never seen one but am convinced I have them

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've suffered from vulval and anal itching on and off for years. I saw doctors and even had hospital appointments for my vulval itching as a teen but nothing was ever found and they put it down to sensitivity to soaps etc. A couple of years later I started with anal itching as well, which again was put down to sensitivity and I started using sensitive washing powder which did ease things. I remember checking for worms and never saw anything so didn't take any medication.

I'm 35 now and since then have had bouts of anal itching over the years that have sometimes been worse than others. One particularly bad one was about five years ago after moving in with my ex and we went in holiday, I itched the whole time. I had however moved in with her a couple of months prior and stupidily hadn't been using my sensitive powder. When we returned I started using it again and it did subside. My vulval itching is just something I've resigned myself to living with, it's up and down and sometimes can be worse with walking and sitting for long periods.

Since mid December 2021 I have had anal itching again. It became noticeable on a walk whilst in London and dawned on me I could feel it, but I don't remember it being constant throughout our holiday, nor do I remember anything too extreme in-between then and New Year. However the past couple of weeks have been really itchy on occasion, and I've decided to take some Ovex even though I've never seen anything concrete I can say is a worm. I do sometimes get flecks of white in my underwear which I always assumed was dry skin or bits of loo roll. But in absolutely paranoid and terrified I have them.

I went to the doctor's last week who suggested it could be fungal and suggested Canesten for my bum (she didn't even mention worms). I used it straight away and the itching did subside. However on Sunday evening just gone, I woke up absolutely boiling and quite itchy, and thought enough is enough, I'm just going to get some Ovex. I've been checking myself and when I go to the loo, and still haven't seen anything moving, on me or in my stool. I did see something the other day but think it was mucus. But I need peace of mind and just want rid if that's what it is.

My partner has been very understanding and has a very 'it is what it is' attitude, which I'm very grateful for.

So I'm now waiting for it to do it's job, if there's anything there for it get rid of! I took it at 10pm last night, changed the bed, and will hoover and clean today. I suppose I'll find out in the next couple of days if my fears are true. I'm terrified but am trying to be positive. I've been reading horror stories about people having them for years and worried I am one of those people, and my itching over the years has been worms without me seeing any. But on the other hand my itching is very inconsistent - ironically I woke up last night just as hot as the night before but had absolutely zero itching all night - like I say I've never seen one and as far as I know, no one around me has been infected to my knowledge, who I've lived with over the years, and putting Canesten (and previously Sudacrem) on my bum does help calm things down.

I also have itchy ears and have done for a few months but have a habit of over cleaning them which can start off a cycle of itching. Imagine my horror when reading yesterday they can live in your ears. I just hope my worrying is over nothing, but I literally can't think of anything else at the moment.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I have suffered from pinworm infestation in my butt since childhood. The itching is generally more severe at night but that's not always the case. I have another infestation as we speak and felt itchy during an important business meeting which drove me mad as I couldn't do anything about it. I know it's not a pleasant job but why not ask your partner to check you the next time you feel itchy in that region.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.