I've recently moved into university and have been barely able to eat?

Posted , 4 users are following.

When i moved into university I felt terrible for the first 2 days but now I am able to eat but I am only able to eat one meal a day and every morning I have been woken up with the urge of trying to be sick. I went to the doctors and they gave me some beta blockers they help keep me calm but I still cannot eat properly. I have had this problem for years now and it's starting to affect me physically and mentally. I am becoming so scared and upset about it, ive actually been consdering dropping university because i dont feel like i belong and i feel like hell all of the time. 

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to ask such a pertinent question but do you have subconscious anorexia
    • Posted

I've never been diagnosed with it but I guess i could. I'm in my doctors tomorrow morning.
    • Posted

I always want to eat though its just when i start eating my body dosen't want to swallow the food 

• Posted

good lad, tell your doctor just how you feel, I would imagine this is all down to stress and perhaps you need to see the university counsellor to help with stress management, I remember when my son was under such dreadful stress he laid on the lawn in the rain and shook as though he were having a seizure, fortunately I was a qualified nurse and prychotherapist, so I was able to help him through it, get the help you need sunshine
  • Posted

Hi Sam,

Are you a nervous person? do you a have a problem with mixing with people?

It sounds to me as if you are very anxious about starting uni and that you have

had a problem over the years regarding anxiety.  Perhaps this is why you feel sick in the morning before you start your day, anxiety can make you feel sick

and unrelaxed. Im not sure about beta blockers though they are usually used

to calm heart beat... are you getting palpitations? anxiety can cause this too.

If you are suffering with anxiety stress you should go back to your GP and tell

him/her about your anxiety and along with this comes confidence in yourself..

I don't know if I am on the right track here with your problem...but whatever you do don't give up university! Once you have got into a pattern and made friends you wil be fine. I went to uni and starting off is a bit daunting, but it gets better if you make the effort to join in. Making friends is uni is a great asset as you can help one another with course work, exams and fitting in. Most students feel a little anxious when starting uni....I know ive been there! You will love it once you have

settled in.  Hope this helps...best wishes.

• Posted

Hi lilian just to let you know. I have recently been trying to jump into things a lot more. My body is starting to calm but I am still finding it difficult to eat. I'm assuming that i have hurt my body quite a bit and will slowly have to work my way back to health no matter how hard. I'm settling in now found people I can talk to and am heading to see the counseller tomorrow to see if i can get an appointment
    • Posted

Hi Sam,

Sam is a male and female name which one are you? I am so glad Sam

that you are taking forward steps and meeting with a counsellor. I have had times when I have difficulty eating after an illess or operation and I have started with a couple of spoonfuls of yogurt or something that is not solid and easy to swallow. Why don't you try that to begin with and take it from there. Please let me know how you get on with your counsellor and if you need to chat at any time feel free. Best wishes.

• Posted

Hi Sam,

I forgot to mention that you can get tons of help from the university counsellors, they are a great help, just tell them how you feel and they will do all they can to help you. There is always help for everything on campus... you will not be left on your own to deal with things you can make regular appointments with them if you feel the need. Go for it and all the best!!

• Posted

What I think, is you are going through the same thing we have all experienced. Scared of life and what the future holds, what you want to be when you grow up, I'm still deciding and I'm 61😳. You're nervous about everything and can't calm down.

I have been that way all my life too, but trust me you're misssing out on wonderful things. Take a deep breath, exhale..don't worry about other think or say or do to you.

Live your beautiful life....feel good about everything you do and you will feel some ease.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.