I've seen some threadworms and have some questions for others who have had it.

Posted , 6 users are following.

About a week ago I started feeling itchy and didn't think much of it. I'm 23 and female and have occasionally felt an itch in the past but it has only ever been for a day or so and then goes away, so I assumed that this was due to something I'd eaten. This time the itch didn't go away in a day or two, and to my horror I saw a threadworm when wiping about 3 days ago. I managed to get some Ovex on Tuesday (2 days ago) and have taken my first dose. I saw a further 3 on tuesday (2 on my bum and 1 I found crawling nearer to my v hole which I find very worrying). I haven't seen any since and haven't really felt itchy either. I have changed bedsheets and have been washing down there morning and night and some times in between because I feel gross. I have been washing my hands so frequently they're in a constant state of dryness and redness after only a few days! I've started having garlic and Apple cider and eating pumpkin seeds because I want these gone immediately!

After reading many forum posts here I have a few questions as I'm really worried about them invading other body parts. I'm also worried about having them forever! I remember having an itchy bum sometimes as a child but I've never seen these little worms before!

If you've had them in your v - how did you know they were there? Can medication reach there? Can you still have sex (obviously not oral)?

If you've had them in your nose/ears - again, how did you know? After reading many posts here I feel itchy and freaked out.

What usually happens after taking medication? I haven't seen any coming out in my poop since taking the Ovex but my itching has almost gone. I thought they would come out?

Thank you to anyone who has read this and can give me a little insight!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

I had threadworms a few years ago.  I got them whilst living in an Eco-project, where there was a communal kitchen.  Lots of my friends got them too.. 

I had a persistent infestation and tried many ways of getting rod of them with varying degrees of success.  What worked in the end was regularly applying petroleum jelly down stairs.  I did this every morning upon waking up, after showering, after going to the loo and before going to bed.  I also did it every time I felt an itch.  I did this for three months to be sure I had got rid of them.  The itching actually reduced very quickly and was hardly there after a couple of weeks but I carried on anyway.  I reckon the worms were probably gone after a month.  

• Posted

Thank you! I'll give that a try

Sorry to be a bit TMI but did you see any come out in your stool? I haven't seen any come out actually in there only when wiping and I was wondering if that's normal.

• Posted

Hey, yes I had the worms in the stools.  The infestation varied in intensity.  Sometimes I didn't see any for weeks, but had itching.  Then at other times I saw several.  

• Posted

So, I’m a 27 year old female and had a similar discovery last week. I didn’t have anything near my vagina and actually only saw them in my stools once. Like suggested below, I did the petroleum jelly thing and it definitely worked/helped! I took my first dose of medicine (I bought the Reese’s drink) and within a day or two the itching stopped. I’m not sure I’m out of the woods yet but I have my second dose of medicine to take in the next few days. What also helped me was taking some MSM supplements that I got at CVS. I read online that it would help and so far, it has. And as far as I’ve read, it’ll help with the vaginal part as well. I haven’t seen (or felt) a single worm since taking the medicine as well as the supplements. 

I can say the worse thing I did was panic, but it’s hard to not feel that way when you’re disgusting with freakin’ worms inside of you. I have still been cleaning myself like crazy (but overcleaning can also cause dry skin which can also lead to itching) and washing almost everything that I own.

I don’t know that you (or I) will have them forever, but I am trying to stay positive because I honestly do doubt that I’ll have them forever. My plan is to just take the medicine every couple of weeks (as directed on the bottle) until I feel satisfied that they’re gone. Probably gonna do so for a couple of months. 

I guess my main point here is that you aren’t alone and as long as you nip it in the bud (so to say), you probably won’t have them forever. Hope this helps and good luck!

• Posted

Thank you, I think I'll definitely have to try the petroleum jelly

I'm from the UK so I'm not sure what CVS is but I've had a look and have found MSM at a shop here called Holland and Barrett so I'm going to give that a try too.

I haven't actually seen a worm for 48 hours now and the one I found crawling near my v was on the outside and I think maybe because I took the meds in the morning it was trying to escape or something, I'm really hoping I don't have any in there. There were none coming out when I was on my period recently so I'm hoping that means they aren't up there!

Good luck to you, I hope that you've banished them for good!

• Posted

I'm really starting to worry this is all psychosomatic because I haven't seen a single worm since taking Ovex. None coming out alive or dead.

Also before I took Ovex I would feel itchy from around 9pm and then I'd wake up at 2/3am itching and now I don't feel an itch at all. It's really freaking me out because now I have no symptoms but I still feel like they're there because I haven't seen any dead ones coming out! And I know that I saw live wriggling worms before so it's really creeping me out

I'm still cleaning the house and myself all the time and will also be taking a second dose of Ovex as recommended just in case - but maybe I caught them earlier than I thought I had

Or they've migrated elsewhere (which is a terrifying thought) in which case I have no idea what to do and I'm definitely right to freak out

• Posted

You don’t need to freak out smile you did good. I’m not even sure threadworms can live in your vagina or anywhere else as they need nutrients to survive, which they would get from your gut as that’s where your food you eat goes. I also wouldnt expect to see the dead ones coming out, maybe they get smooshed up with all your waste matter or something I don’t know, but I definitely didn’t.

I’m pretty sure threadworms are actually very easy to treat with the medication, millions of people do it successfully all the time, it’s only the unusual cases that you hear about here, and I think these are often not actually threadworms. I wouldn’t say it’s exactly psychosomatic, either, you probably do get an occasional itching feeling and because you have had threadworms you assume that’s what it must be.

I had threadworms 3 years ago, and in reality I had them for like a week, but I thought I had them for 6 months because my butt kept itching, because I was washing like crazy. Once I realised this I stopped overwashing and I’ve had no problems since.

Short version: don’t worry, it sounds like your infection is gone.

• Posted

Thank you, it’s so refreshing to see a positive post here, I am one of the people constantly complaining here because nothing seems to make any sense! But the positive outlook is needed as searching up an itchy bottom is a rabbit hole, you assume it must be worms and you get stuck, as I am and others here are, because you just assume you’ve been reinfected over and over. You really lose out on time over this it’s crazy. But again, thank you. More posts like these can help reassure thousands of people who have lost hope over this. 
  • Posted

Thank you everyone for your advice, I haven't had any itchiness for 3-4 weeks now and haven't seen any more threadworms either! Very very happy with this but will always keep an eye on any itching or discomfort I do feel in case they ever come back.

I took Ovex twice (a week apart), added pumpkin seeds and garlic into my diet, used petroleum jelly a couple of times before bed (using gloves so I wouldn't spread anything!), and have been cleaning consistently which I think has all come together to help.

I hope that anyone who is currently suffering has the same luck and gets rid of them soon!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.