I've started dating someone with mental health issues and i'm struggling

Posted , 8 users are following.

I feel awful, I've started dating a really amazing guy and it went so well for the first month, then his depression and anxiety kicked in.

From the start i have expressed my understanding and listened to many of his thoughts and feelings.

I ama very empathetic person largely because i too suffer from depression and anxiety.

However, it's quickly developed into me being a sounding board and turned a somewhat dark corner really early on.

I myself am happy however feel this deteriorating because of his poor mental health. This is not what i want the start of a relationship to be like and i hate to admit it but it has made my feelings for him diminish. I don't know what to do due to his fragility and equally verbalising how he 'can't lose me'. I feel so guilty. Please can someone offer some advice?

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Don't feel guilty-- it's your life too.  Do what you can to get him help.  Encourage him to seek a therapist, he will learn how to cope and possibly take meds..   Good luck!

• Posted

You need to be honest with him now well your relationship is new. He's dragging you down with him. I had a girlfriend ( just friend) she was always in the negative and I just couldn't stand it any longer. I tried everything to

change the subject to happy things or take her out of her apartment to positive places. She was determined to

make everything depressing. I had to end it for my own mental health reasons. Forget the guilt feeling it's your

life. Some people you just can't change or help. If you want to be real gentle say you will be friends. Then you

aren't committed to visit much  and slowly back off.

• Posted

Hello,

All I can advice is you talk to him according to his condition. You can continue listening to him. Do anything you can do to help him with his condition and be honest about your feelings to him.

Best wishes

• Posted

First of all tell him frankly what you think or feel about the relationship you both have. If you can help him then do not hesitate and try to make him happy and busy in some work. Sometimes love and care helps to cure people with depression and anxiety try your level best if it still not works then backoff slowly without hurting because he is already suffering with mental health....all the best 
  • Posted

Get out of that relationship ASAP I've been in a crazy relationship for 15 years now and it's up and down but really effects you. Loss of family friends life style it all disappears and constantly sucked dry like a vampire.

• Posted

You are right about that!!  I've been married for 18 years and the last few years have been horrible.  He still refuses meds and therapy.  So frustrating when 'they' don't want to help themselves.

• Posted

DOnt set yourself on fire to keep another person warm. Relationships should make you happy. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.