I’ve started taking Selincro for 2 days but think the side effects are extreame.

Posted , 12 users are following.

I started 2 days agtaking Selincro, the first day I had 2 glasses (Cava) I usually drink more than one often 2bottles. I didn’t expect the spaced out feeling and felt a little sick, similar to starting strong pain killers.

The second night I took another and didn’t have a drink at all but I felt so I’ll during the night feeling sick with headache and stomachache similar to withdrawals, which I’ve experienced coming of prescription painkillers, but it only lasted around 4 hours so can’t have been alcohol withdrawal as when I drive I do without alcohol on those days and don’t get withdrawals. 

I think it was the side effect of the tablets as described in the information but I’m worried about taking another this evening as I can’t go through that every night, did anyone else have any of these symptoms? If so, how long? 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lindsey,

As with many medications, Selincro can cause some side effects but they do get easier each time you take the tablet.  Most report the same as you have explained, and it can be amplified a little by the fact that you definitely have less than the 'usual' amount of alcohol in your system.

Please eat a good, solid meal about 30-60 minutes before the tablet, and keep drinking plenty of water.  This is only until you get used to the medication.

I have recently been in contact with the clinic in Finland where this treatment is regularly used with Selincro.  They advise me that if the side effects are very problematic, then they suggest someone (carefully) halves the tablets for the next couple of times they take it, to allow their body to adjust to it a little slower, before moving up to the full dose when they are much more used to it.

Please keep on with it as side effect issues are usually temporary, and the long term benefits of this medication far, far outweight this temporary discomfort.

• Posted

Hi Joanne

Thanks, I talked to the nurse and I have decided not to take one tonight or have a drink either to see if I have any withdrawals as I think that could have been something to do with it. I’ll try again tomorrow and see how I go 

Many thanks for your help

Lindsey

• Posted

Hi Lindsey

I have started taking it for the last three days and excalty like you sick, spaced out, stomach pains

I was told to take half a pill for the first few days untill my body gets used to it , however yesterday after reading Joanna "hit's and tip's" I eat before I took the tablet and I only felt spaced out which I have been advise will go

Hope this helps

• Posted

Tough journey Kevin. Stick to the plan if you can. My thoughts are with you hoping you will have fewer problems and feel better
  • Posted

Keep pushing on with the Selincro Lindsey .Take all Joannas advice on board and you will find your body will adjust , it took me about a week and it was so worth it

Good luck 😊

• Posted

Lovely to chat on the phone, Lindsey.  Hopefully the little bit of encouragement will make tonight's Selincro a little easier for you.

)
  • Posted

Just an update

I took half a Selincro last night and an anti sickness pill so the side effects were not as bad. I drank half a bottle of Cava instead of 2 bottles.

I’m taking the other half tonight and then will try a full one tomorrow and see how it goes 

• Posted

I started on Selinco 10 days ago Lindsey. I had the spaced out / feelings of nausea for @ 3 days with mild tummy pains, but that has all settled. I do take it daily as I am a daily drinker (ATM), I have it after a meal with a pint of water to wash it down. Well done on taking the first steps and for seeking support. x
    • Posted

I’m going to take a full one tonight and get it into my system ASAP as I feel I can’t get on with normal life at the moment but I’m sure it will be worth it if I get control back 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.