I've stopped taking my venlafaxine 150 mg

Posted , 12 users are following.

i know all the guidance suggest slow withdrawal. My memory is terrible and making silly mistakes when typing is sooo frustrating I could go on ....

anyway 3 days ago I stopped taking the tabs. I'm not feeling very good, headaches, numbness in head, lips and tongue. Aching all over. But I am determined to get off them. 

I am am looking for discussion with people doing something similar to help me through what could be a rough time.

also can't sleep but feel tired, hence writing at 3:20am.  Nausea and a bit emotional. Irritable !!!! I am biting everyone's head off except the dog who is getting lots of walks, excercise make sure me feel better. Washed 4 cars yesterday. 

1 like, 54 replies

54 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

A better nights sleep. No dreams. Was itching a lot, feet legs back. I think it is a side effect or my youngest having toast in my bed. 🙃

Can 't believe how active I've been. Feels like I have had new batteries fitted. I even enjoyed emptying the dishwasher. This rate the wife will be redundant. Joke I hope she reads😉

My my issues were a mix of anxiety and some depression, related to work. Home is my sanctuary. I lost my job at the end of January. I blame the Meds  for making me too laid back. 

So I need to start work soon too and wanted to be clear of the drug and find the real or new me! 

I hope im not kidding myself, and all this will come tumbling down around me.

so this next week will focus on getting a job.

I seem to get a real kick out of helping others. Talking to an old bloke the other day who struggled finding his dog when it went into bushes. So I went an bought his dog a flashing lead. I felt great giving it him.

I have read that spending can be an issue, so given unemployed i will need to watch this.

Tongue not so numb so far today. Bottom lip is though.

my notes are a bit random apologies. 

• Posted

Altruism is good for you!  It truly does feel good to give or be of service to others.

I hope that this continues for you!  You are right to watch the "extremes" as I had a phase of losing good judgement while in withdrawal, 'nuff said.  

Just don't go too overboard with pushing yourself, because that can bring on withdrawal; gotta be gentle with yourself.

Just know that if you start to feel extreme depression and anxiety, it is not YOU or a relapse but a very well known set of withdrawal symptoms . If it happens, it will be a wave and will pass, so just remind yourself "this is withdrawal and it will pass."

I think the people who do best handling withdrawal have a "this won't beat me" attitude and don't let secondary fear take over.  Those with nervous/anxious/victim personalities tend to not fare as well, as they get caught up in the fear and catastrophize.  Not judging, but I've seen it over and over.  So, knowing in advance what can happen can give you a leg up to ride it out with the right attitude :-)

• Posted

Apologies if I am repeating myself. Just typed a few paragraphs and I lost it.

Been grumpy today, upset most in the household. The Head numbness on the left back of my head is now painful with some zapping. touching my 2mm length hair in this area is sensitive.

No alchohol today, as i noticed that having some wine yesterday made me feel quite low. So nothing today, other than orange squash and Tea. 

I also seem to want to eat for England and have to make real effort not to gorge myself. Not helped by buying a box of danish pastries from Costco!!

My next focus will be on my diet, not joining weightwatchers, but will look to modify and increase my 5 a day. 

Kids back to school and college tomorrow so house will be empty. I left work at the end of January and looking for a new role, may even set up my own business. but not until i have this black dog under control!

I hope i am still motivated to do some chores rather than go back to bed when everyone is gone, and then get up before they return. Who have I been kidding!

cleans the bathrooms and the oven - can't wait lol

• Posted

What are the points for? 

• Posted

Not sure I can top yesterday's activity and discussion. It's currently with the moderator as I think I swore😤 It is a bit of an epic discussion which got quite emotional toward the end. Up at 9am yesterday and bed at 5am, cleaning most of the time. I seem to feel very protective toward my family, yet I have been horrible to them. It must be a week since I stopped taking the meds. 

My my wife likes the cleaning side-effect!

it's a bright day outside so I may give the grass a cut.

i feel that I am waiting for some explosion of hurt, a land mine maybe!

I'll try an tread carefully

• Posted

Day 8 nearly over. 

I have been out and about today, feeling tired after yesterday's marathon getting stuff done day. I have not had any alcohol for 3 days now, as don't think it was helping. I have had a headache all day and still have it. Feels like pressure in my sinus's and that my head us about to explode. 

My Sister came to see me at teatime. I was talking to her about how nasty I have been to my wife and kids. Snappy etc. I could not understand why I would do this to those closest to me. If they haven't been through enough!!!!

as I was discussing this, a wave of emotion came over me and I got really upset. 

I sense that that the 'chickens or Turkeys are coming home to roost'. I did over do it yesterday but it felt good at the time.

so an early night tonight 

• Posted

I've asked the question before, so I'll it in a different way 

what do points make?

• Posted

I was hoping someone would say 'prizes' !! 

I must be on a different wave length 

• Posted

Hi ,in the same boat as you at the moment, I was on 150mg 6 months ago I felt that I wasn't seeing any benedits. So I have been withdrawing the last 4 months, I was down to 37.5 and decided to go cold turkey from there.4 days off and getting the so called brain zaps and headaches not to bad at the moment when I move my head quickly it's bad.going from 150 to 75 wasn't that bad but was very sleepy, best way to go is slowly I think but just wanted to get of this drug.doctor never told me about what to expect on them and coming of them has been no help to me at all.doctors or gp should not be allowed to give out these drugs they don't have to take them.just stick it out mate its got to get better have to say dropping from 150 cold turkey is not a good idea but it's your body so it's up to you good luck mate
    • Posted

I must be heading towards week 4 off Ven. I am in a real ratty short tempered mood. Not getting any zaps or anything now. My sleep at night has been the best for 25 years. 

Just wish I could stop being a miserable daily. 

sounds like you doing the sensible approach. I lost my job at the end of JAnuary so I want to be med free b4 I start the next. 

Any jobs requiring crumpy old men - let me know!

good luck and keep chatting 

• Posted

Hi david 

have read thorough your post, this frug seems a real horror, 

im on day 6 toady feeling  not good, jaw and head painm, feeling sick and detached, and some palpitaions, 

i stopped cold turkey due to medical issues withthe ven, im now introducing sertraline and using low dose of valuim to help with side effects, i threw all my ven away so i wasnt tempted to take them if things got bad, i am determined to get off of this drug.

it really does help to read other discusiions and know that your not alone 

Rachel 

• Posted

Been 2 weeks off ven ,mood bad, brain zaps now and then get very Humty over the little things got a bad chest and ache a bit. Don't no weather it's the chest or withdrawel.one thing I know I will never put ven in my system again.its a case of button down the hatches and see it out but it's rough bloody rough ,I have always looked after my family ,but they just don't understand no one ever asks me how I am keeping.i always ask them ,message back in a week
    • Posted

That's the spirit! 

we have heightened awareness of peoples feelings and are extra sensitive around looking out for people. I get a bit grumpy and low, thinking that people don't care, but I have decided it's up to me to get on with it, I was not so sensitive before. lol

I hope the chest clears up soon and the aches, well they could be part of the withdrawal, particularly lower back. 

smile

• Posted

How are you doing ,how many days are you of it,are things getting better

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.