I wake up to pee now more than when I had a prostate. What's up with that?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am just over 4 weeks post op right now.  I am waking up more now to pee than I did when I had my prostate.  Before I would wake up about 3 times a night. Now I am waking up about every hour and a half to pee.  I am getting tired quicker throughout the day, because I am not sleeping through the night. I hope this is temporary.  Has anyone else experienced this problem.  Is there anything I can do decrease the amount of urine I am producing at night? Any help would be appreciated.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

My first few months I had increased need to pee during the night. That began to change after about 6 months post op and now after about 9 months I actually go through the entire night without needing to get up and I now sleep 8 to 9 hours a night!!!!!!

It's been at least 5 or 6 years since I have been able to get through the night and back in those days I only slept 5 to 6 hrs a night.

Be patient, you underwent a major surgery. Your body needs to heal. Before you realize you will be back to normal and your surgery will be a faint memory

• Posted

My husband just finished 9 weeks of radiation treatment and he has the same problem.  We "kind of corrected this" by cutting off caffeine after a certain hour of the day (5pm).  It seems to help.  He also had that issue before the treatment.but we didn't curtail the caffeine.  I don't know if that's the issue but if it works, why not do it?  Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply.  I really only drink 1-2 cups of coffee in the morning.  That's about it on caffeinated beverages.

• Posted

I agree with Richard, give your body time to heal. You might try Tamsulosin, it works by relaxing the bladder. Has your Urologist discussed this with you?
    • Posted

I haven't spoken to my Urologist about yet.  Hoping it would something that would go away soon.  Have you tried Tamsulosin?  Just wonder how effective it is.

• Posted

Don't drink after 8pm to 9pm and keep working at your Pelvic Floor Exercises, I was 2 years before dry after a TURP, but you could well be quicker.

• Posted

I am drinking plenty of water, even late in the evenings.  My leakage seems to have improved and hope it continues.  Thanks for the reply
  • Posted

Hi I know how you feel I have locally advanced protection cancer and have been on radio therapy ,zoldex implants ,Prednisone &zytiga y PSA is down to 0.2 yet I still go to toilet 3 or 4times per night and feel very tired all the time. My oncologist says it's a combination of all & to try to drink less liquid after 7pm.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.