I walked out of my pip assessment anyone know what happens ??

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi 

Im new here so dont know if im posting right but really need some advice. 

Today i had my pip F2F assessment my mum went along with me as she is my apointee. I am 28 and suffer from anorexia and borderline personality disorder (emotionally unstable) and i was very anxious and worked up and after the first few questions of which my mum answered i found it all to overwhealming and i couldnt handle the situation i became very upset and distressed and i said i had to leave the appointment the lady doing the assessment said i could take a break and come back which i knew i couldnt do she then said i could sit in the waiting room whilst my mum spoke on my behalf which i couldnt also do because of how distressed i was does anybody know what happens now will i be taken straight off my dla and refused pip ?? 

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

As the assessment was most likely not completed it's very hard to say. The assessment report will be returned to DWP and it's possible you'll be refused yes. Was evidence send to support your claim?

If you are refused your DLA will stop 4 weeks after the decision is made on your PIP. You can of course ask for The MR if you are refused, followed by the Tribunal.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Denise does anybody know if you score points in your assesment for severe aniexty and depression and not mixing with people 
    • Posted

Hi Morag,

It would have been better to have started your own thread with this question because asking questions on other peoples posts cause confusion.

Yes,  people do score points in that descriptor, it's called engaging with other people face to face descriptor number 9 for daily living. It does depend on how your conditions affect you though and like i said before, evidence will be needed.

• Posted

Hi thank you so much for the reply as i am past myself tonight and ive already been losing sleep over it all my mum rang the number on the letter when we got home and the explained that the DWP will be given the comments from the assessor by wedensday and they will make the decison on that i do know that she had wrote on her notes i was highly distressed but that she gave options as to what to do as the person on the phone told my mum this.

Thanks so much for response 

• Posted

HI kay,

You're very welcome. Was this a home assessment?

I really hope your claim is successful and the HCP does write the assessment fairly. Hopefully your mum did send in evidence and the report can be done based on that. It does sound like the person you had today was nice, it's just infortunate that you couldn't deal with it.

Good luck and if you need further advice please do ask. please also pop back and let us know the outcome. Take care Kay!

• Posted

Hi 

No it wasnt a home assessment it was in there offices. I was already in a state having to go and do it and was sat in the carpark till 5 minutes before because i was saying i wouldnt be able to do it. I think i will have lost the PIP claim but it cant be helped i had to leave because thats what was best for me and i also couldnt put that pressure on my mum because had she of done it on my behalf and i lost my claim she would of blamed herself. 

• Posted

Hi Kay thanks tomthe response from Denise as I have never come across this situation before so had absolutely no idea, glad one of us is awake, did your Mum not ask what the consequences would be of you abandoning your assessment
    • Posted

Hi 

My mam rang them once we had left and they told her the assessor had wrote that i was distressed but that she gave me options and that it will be passed to the DWP by Wedensday and to ring them then. 

• Posted

Hi, Kay,

Thanks for the post.  I had a home f2f.  Was diabolical.  Nasty woman.  Contradicted herself on her report.  However, she said "i can see im stressing you out, would you like me to come back another time".  I knew i didn't want her in my home with me trying to cope on my own.  She was bad.  Really bad.  She used a raised voice the whole way through and noted i could not communicate with her then.  However, i told her i couldn't let her back in to my home so let's go on.  She huffed and puffed at all my answers, wrote i was incoheren't and uncommunicative but also, later stated i was communicative.  They always let themselves down in their ereport.  I scored no points after her stating that 'She really wanted to write me the best report she could; lol.  She shouted at me the whole time and i really felt i should have dialled 999 to get the police to remove her from my property for harrassment and abuse.  i should have.  it would have been the end of her career.  i should also have written to the NMC about her.  I think you need to contact DWP and tell them the whole situation of the assessment.  Ask them for another assessor.  Just know you need someone to be with you and if all else fails ask a CIC (ithink they are called that) to be on your side.  They may ask you to spend a bit of money for them to act on your part with your evidence.  They have inroads to DWP at MR level that we never will have.  They were worth £50 any day,  I donated to them after they got at MR level from 0 points on both to enhanced living and lower mobillity. Don't dispair.  You can win at MR level but usually if you cannot physically or mentally speak for your self.

Contact DWP and tell them what happened and tell them you need another appt.  Good luck, Kay.

• Posted

Hi 

Thanks Diane it sounds like you had such a bad time of it so horrendous that they can put people through this. I am in such a state tonight and know i wont sleep.

• Posted

HI

I think you may have read kay's post wrong.

Her assessment provider did offer her to to take a break and to come back into the assessment later. As Kay has an appointee she didnt have to answer any of the questions herself because that's one of the reasons she has an appointee. Kay never stated that she was shouted out, more to the point that her mental health meant she was unable to continue. Ringing the DWP to ask for another appointment is of no use at all here because it's nothing to do with them, not until the report is returned anyway. Another assessment is most likely not going to help Kay here because her anxiety probably wouldn't deal with it, in exactly same way it couldn't deal with it today.

Assessment providers don't always tell lies or let theirselves down in their reports. They do have a habit of coming across as very nice during the assessment and then stab people in the back with the report. I realise yours was shouting at you, which wasn't right by any means.

Not everyone has a bad experience, although i realise that we do read mostly the bad stories. The thing is if someone has an award they're happy with then they have no questions to ask, so we don't hear their story but lots of people are successful whether it's transferring from DLA or a PIP first claim without the transfer.

A lot of people do not understand the PIP descriptors and automatically think she should be awarded, unfortunately that's not the case. The descriptors are very specific and won't apply to everyone.

I most certainly do not agree with companies who charge people for their advice/services, even more so when people just don't have that sort of money to pay for the help. There's advice agencies who give exactly the same advice, for free.

Yes people do win at MR stage but it's rare and only 20% of people are successful.

Any complaints about any HCP's should always be made to the assessment providers by writing.

I'm glad you got your award.

• Posted

Hi Kay I hope you managed some sleep at least, I know it's hard to not over think the situation but now it's happened then you just have to let it go and hope that it doesn't impact on the decision too much, it is a shame that you couldn't have taken some time out to compose yourself and gone back in, never mind what's done is done.

Hopefully they will come to a beneficial decision without you having to put in an MR remember that the vast majority of claiments are awarded PIP without any problems at all.

Good luck and try to chill

• Posted

Hi 

I had a rough night as my anxiety is through the roof i have managed to control my illness so well that this stress has tipped me over the edge because whilst i had geared myself ready to to then PIP f2f i then got my esa review saying i had to be reassesed for that also so i have really struggled since then im hoping and praying i havent blown it for my PIP as i dont think im going to be mentally and emotionally stable to do my ESA.

• Posted

Have you asked for a home assessment for the ESA? If you do have to have an assessment for that then at least being in your own home will help, even if it's a little. You will need a letter from your GP stating the reasons why.

Are you in a group for ESA or still in assessment phase? Either way did your mum make sure she sent in evidence to support your claim? Evidence will be needed for both ESA and the PIP because they very rarely contact anyone for this.

Good luck for them both.

• Posted

Hi kay I'm sorry that people have to go through the stress of these assessments but obviously there's no other way to guage that someone is entitled to claim these benefits, I'm not saying that your not of course I'm just saying that if their wasn't these tests everyone could claim it and of course that cannot happen, I agree with denise you should follow Denise's advice and ask for a home assessment, at least you will be in your safe environment.

Like Denise also said you need to make sure that all the relevant accompanying evidence has been sent in to back up your claim

• Posted

Hi 

Ive been in th support group for esa for many years and it seems ive just been called in too have it looked at so have to fill the forms out again and have a medical assessment. I arnt going to go ahead with the ESA claim as it is all too much for me . 

My mum wasnt aware she had to send any information in as she thought they contacted my gp and therapist. 

• Posted

Have you had the appointment for the assessment? It's such a shame that you refuse to go because your ESA will stop and you'll be found fit for work if you do.

No, they rarely contact anyone for evidence. As your mum didn't send any for the ESA claim, i'm guessing it's likely she didn't send any for the PIP claim either? This is a worry because evidence will be needed. I'm not saying the never contact anyone but it's very rare and the onus is on the claimant to make sure it's sent.

• Posted

My ESA forms need to be sent in by 16th July and wellfare rights will be helping me fill them in but i know i wont attend the assessment so its a total waste of peoples time. 

I know i arnt fit for work and i know i wont attend appointments at the job centre so i will not even be able to claim jsa but my health at the end of the day and my sanity is more important.

• Posted

Kay, please try to calm down because it's not helping you.

It's possible that with the right evidence that you can have a paper based assessment, this means that no face 2 face will be needed. Are you in a group at the moment? or is this a fairly recent claim?

For ESA there's 2 groups, WRAG and Support Group. If placed into the support group then you won't have attend the work focused interviews. but your mum is going to need to make sure she sends in evidence to support your claim. If you're placed in the WRAG then you will have to attend those interviews. So aiming for the support group is my advice.

You say you have a therapist, can your mum ask them for some evidence to support your claim? Ring your GP to ask if they will also give you a letter of support (there maybe a charge for this) you can also ask if there's anything in your medical records that you can use. Please don't just expect them to contact anyone and make sure the evidence is sent. This way you're giving yourself every chance for that paper based assessment (no face 2 face)

When that form is filled in you can ask for a home assessment, and someone will come to your house to complete it, rather than you go to them. For this you will need a letter from your GP stating the reasons why this is needed.

• Posted

Hi Denise 

Im in the support group at the moment and have been for the last 7 years. I can get my therapist and doctor to write a letter as they have both agreed to do this. 

Im just passed myself with worry its awful thank you so much for your replies the advicr your giving is really helpful. 

• Posted

Hi Kay,

Yes ask them for a letter, for sure! Also ask your GP if there's anything in your medical records that you can use. Any past appointment, Consultant letters. If they're detailed and explain your conditions these will be very useful.

Always happy to help! Yes i totally agree, it is a worry for everyone. If an assessment is needed then maybe a home assessment would be better. I do know that if you're already in the support group that there's more chance of having that paper based assessment, i read a lot of people have them. It's not 100% certain but there's a chance. I had a paper based assessment for my last review. Good luck with both and i hope for you that it's a decision in your favour. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.