I walked with a cane! woohoo

Posted , 11 users are following.

PT just left, I walked for the first time with a cane!!!  I walked all around inside, so happy, it didn't hurt my shoulder either. Then i got in and out of the car on my own, then walked up and down our very steep driveway with the walker.  I feel accomplished using the cane!  2 weeks post op tomorrow, some days it's the little things.

Annette xoxo

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Well done annette keep up the good work that your doing I'm 4 weeks post tlhr with removal of hip screw and plate first I found it impossible to walk unaided for 4 months before op since the op I feel like a new man again I'm walking with 1 stick 2 miles a day and doing 4 miles twice a day on exercise bike and it's so nice not to have that pain from groin down leg onwards and upwards your doing great keep it up 😀

• Posted

dear annette, 

wow, that is great girl - and the steep driveway even greater ... 

it is so important to have a good PT - I have not been lucky so far ...

same here regarding going in and out of the car as a passenger - at around 14 days post-op the staples needed to be removed by surgeon's assistant, which means a 20 minute ride ... so enjoy your outings --

stick = cane I think -

poor Ann - terrible neglect ...

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi Annette I'm 2weeks post op tomorrow. Found myself walking across living room without stick, got to remember yo be careful. Staples came out today. Can't wait to get these stockings off, but another 2weeks yet. Will see how we both get on seeing as it was almost the same day.

• Posted

unds like you are doing wondeful Bet! Congrats!  Did you have a lateral incision?  My knee is a bit messed up today.  sad Had my staples out last Friday, I have the sox off since 3-4 dys post up as zi hve no swelling, i did put them on las night. Wishing you continued healing!!!  

• Posted

Hi annette, actually it's anoth 4weeks before stockings off, not 2, think that was just wishful thinking on my part. Did have diarrhoea which was surprisng as on iron tabs, but my gp said that iron can do that apparently. Had staples out today. Gp wants too see me again to make sure bowels have settled down. Envy you having socks off so early, maybe because of my age as have had no swelling.

• Posted

Bet,

I battle constipation, doubt age is very different? I turn 60 in a few short weeks. I use a lift recliner so my legs are up a lot. Great to get out those staples right? 4 dsys later I get a few stabbing pains in them, I ice them, I hve steri stips on till they fall off. xo

• Posted

Hi Annette hope your knee is better this morning. Surprising how advice varies from one doc to another. Can get in a car. No getting in a car. Remove stockings after so many days. Don't remove until 6weeks as in my case. Suppose it all depends on the individual. Need to start putting some weight back on as lost quite a bit before op as lost my husband suddenly in February. Thankfully appetite coming back. Would have to be hottest day of year with these sexy stockings on. All in all can't really grumble so many others are getting a lot more going on. What's confusing is advice is keep mobile but then they say rest. Is it best to raise both legs when sitting. Enjoy the sun today.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.