I want off Prednisone and back on Aleve

Posted , 1 user is following.

I have told two doctors that I want off Prednisone. It seems to go in one ear and out the other.

Some history: I have had muscle pain for years and have controlled it well with Aleve. I have had two back surgeries, one involving fusion, for Spinal Stenosis and a hip replacement. A year and a half ago I developed pain in my left should when reaching overhead for a bowl out of our kitchen cabinet. Put up with it for awhile, then decided to see the family doctor. He put in a Rx for 20 mg tabs of Prednisone taken at 3 tabs oral daily for 4 days, then 2 tabs oral daily for 4 days, then 1 tab oral daily. That took care of the shoulder pain. That is where I should have demanded to end it. I continued taking 10 mg for 10 days. All this time I am off Aleve and of course my muscle pain comes back. Kept telling the family doctor I wanted off Pred so I could go back to Aleve. Finally had enough and ask to see a Rheumatologist. Of course I had to start over and be off pred for a week and have blood work done, sed rate and C-Reactive Protein. Family doctor did this as well. Reactive Protein was never out of the upper or lower normal range. Sed rate was 19 and above only twice in about a year and a half. C-Reactive Protein was out the very first reading with the family doctor and never since. My Rheumatologist has had me drop 1 mg per month from 10 mg. I have insisted that I want off to see if I can function with taking aleve. In looking back I should have insisted my family doctor put me on a prednisone regiment like he did for a sinus infection. That was about a two week time frame, starting at 20 or 40 and dropping down.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.