I want the operation but my gp isn't offering me it!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello.

I was diagnosed end of March with a Rolling Hiatus Hernia. It has been causing me a lot of pain and I was relieved when I found out what had been causing all my pain. I went for a follow up at my GP after my endoscopy and I was explained what I had, I really want it gone but my doctor says the operation is a major operation because of my hernia type I would have to have part of my stomach removed. She's perscribed me back on 15 mg lansoprozole for now but I don't want to be pumped with drugs for years if it's only a short term effect to settle my symptoms. I want the surgery because in the long run for me it would be better as I am only 21. She hasn't offered me the surgery and only seems keen on me taking loads of medication! She hasn't even seen how big my hernia is, it's like she doesn't care and isn't bothered in helping me, I feel really in the dark about all this and it's my body and I don't even know what's going on!

Help! I can't afford to go private and I really need this surgery, what do I do?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi SJK16, I also suffering from hiatal hernia. I know how painful from suffering hiatal hernia. Ignoring hiatal hernia in a long time IS VERY DANGER. You MUST heal your hiatal hernia as soon as possible by undergo surgery. If your current doctor don't want to heal you, that's because he/she doesn't know how danger the hiatal hernia is.

The longer time you postpone to heal your hiatal hernia (by undergoing surgery), I am affraid if your hiatal hernia will become strangulated and the stomach's hernia part will become a dead organ and thus poisoning another body's organ.

Hiatal hernia will also affect to your heart because large hiatal hernia can make pressure to heart, and also pinch the vagus, aorta, and vena nerve at the diaphragm.

So, please go to find a high experience doctor that know well about this illness, and tell him to do surgery to repair your hiatal hernia.

• Posted

Hello.

If you haven't already (sounds like you have) then I'd be direct with your GP - literally say that you want the operation as you're young and want to be active, pain free etc. Being direct and asking what you'd like may just work; sorry if this is what you've already done... if you've done this already and still gotten nowhere or you go back and get nowhere then If you're in the UK (sounds like you are) then I'd check out your local PALS - Patient Advice Liason Service. These guys are contactable by freephone number and they can explain what rights you may have in respect of being able to want an the operation. PALS may speak to the GP or even the practice manager on your behalf (as they can advocate for patients) to see if some agreement and best of all, a greater understanding of needs can be achieved.

I hope you're able to progress things! Be good to hear that you have and all's gone well ??

• Posted

You need to go to a surgeon ask her for a referral get a second opinion google herinal surgeons in your area and look st there rates and read the about that dr

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.