I want to change my Thyroxine to night time. How do I do it.

Posted , 9 users are following.

I need help with taking my medicine and Thyroxine. Right now I take lots of meds and its very inconvient taking my thyroxine in the morning. (the hour before food). Here's how I take. Take Thyroxine as soon as I wake. 30 minutes later I take diabetic medicine Glipizide. 15 min later I take water pill and pepcid AC. Then I wait another 15 minutes and thats an hour and I eat breakfast. In early evening about 8 pm I take 325 asperin, Lipitor and a mild dose of atenenol. I take a Xanax before I go to sleep. So thats kind of my issue. Does anyone else take xanax at night and thyroxine?? Should I seperate them by an hour? Can anyone help with this. I also heard taking thyroxine at night helps lessen all the side effects with taking it. I'm 69 and on thyroxine for about 16 months. I hate it but have to take it. I'm on 50mcg. I take xanax twice a day. 1 around 2 pm and then like I said I take 1 at bedtime. Just thought maybe someone else take xanax at bedtime too with thyroxine. Also how do you make the switch on thyroxine from morning to night? Need some feedback. Thanks

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

everyone is different so what might be good for tom dick or harry ( no offence jane) smile smile smile .. might not be ok for you .. ask your doc .. especially as you have quite an array.
  • Posted

Yes I agree it is best to speak to your gp.  I had considered taking my thyroxine at night but have not changed as yet.  Like you I am on other medication so thought that it might work better if taken at night.  My gp said that would be fine but I should ask your gp because of all your other medication.  You will want to change it to away which will mean there will not be a long gap between the doses when you first change.  If am sure others on this forum will be able to tell you had they did it if the doctor says it is ok for you.
  • Posted

Hi,

It is best to take the xanax at least 2 hours before or after levothyroxine as xanax may interact with the levo and prevent maximum absorption.  Having said that I looked up any contraindications with these two meds and there was none. As for taking levo in the evening before bed, take your normal dose of levo in the morning and then another that evening, your then in the swing of it. It does no harm. I changed myself after about 4 years of taking in the morning and I wouldn't look back.  Much more convenient all round. Could have my coffee and breakfast when I wanted and the change in how I felt when I got up was fantastic! I also stopped having nighmares and panic attacks during the night which I had been plauged with.  It does not however work for all, we are all different in our constitution, but well worth a try. You can always switch back if you find no benefits.  This wont hurt you.  Good luck!

• Posted

I am commenting again regards another comment suggesting you swop by taking one in the morning and another that evening. Sorry to come in on that. It is not my intention now or after this post to comment again. However I must say that is not a good idea, not in any way. What I say or anyone else is saying is not what you should do without your docs nod. I am sure he or she would not approve of the suggestion made. If I made a suggestion here I would in effect telling you what to do without your docs approval, I can say my thinking is quite different, but I wont go there. You must see your DOC 100%, many docs may not understand what we go through but they are the authority to point you in the right direction, you must see the doc, if you go it alone on anecdotal comments they could refuse to treat you onwards, note "Could". I may be right the other comment may be right, but its not our position to advise anything without FIRST seeing the doc.
  • Posted

Hi I am trying to figure out the same thing I've Been on thyroxine since I was 2 weeks old I am 26 now. Now I am taking 30 medications I take 4 calcium pills 5 times a day. And a b

Crap load more

• Posted

WHEN you take your med is YOUR business, NOT the doc. The doc advises taking in the morning because that is what it says in the packet, which is the same as it has been since it first came on the market since the 1970s, which has never been reviewed by further research by the pharmaceutical companies, and that is why it is only a suggestion. Thyroid researchers results worldwide, are now advocating this, not because of convenience, but because of much better absorption, and closer match to sleep/wake cycles. Pain killers usually have no probs taken at the same time as levo, but it is best to have at least about 2 hours after any other meds and food, and definitely from anything with calcium in as these all will interfere with absorption. I wouldn't personally advocate taking morn AND night of the same day,unless you are quite hypo at the time, (You will probably be able to tell whether you are quite bad at the time by your symptoms) as this could cause sleeplessness issues on your first night swop. Instead, if you are feeling (for you) quite well, miss a morning and take that night. By far, themajority of sufferers get on hugely better on this regime, and Ithoroughly recommend it.By the way, I am a fellow sufferer and for a number of years worked in a pharmacy, this is why I know about the advices from doc issue.
  • Posted

Thanks everyone for your feedback on changing my Thyroxine to night time. Here's something I do know for sure. My daughter had gastric bypass surgery and in her training class before surgery there were quite a few people who were taking thyroxine for hypothyroid. Because they have to take so many vitimins plus other meds they were told to set there alarms to go off at a certain time in the middle of the night to take their levothyroxine. Interesting huh? I'm sure there are other situations where some have to take their thyroxine at a weird time. But I will check with my GP first. I'm very tired of this medication holding up my time in the morning or having to get up supper early. I'm retired. I want to sleep in. smile I think I would start by missing my morning dose and take it at night.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.