I want to exercise!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I really want to start exercising again.

How long before I can go for a run?

Or maybe even mild yoga?

Xx

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

A lot depends on how you feel and how well you've healed. This is where it's important for everyone to have a post op check.
  • Posted

Hi there,

Not sure what surgery you had but I started running 3 months after pelvic floor & TVT bladder repair and my prolapse returned because of this do I would definitely advise against running or high impact excercise. If I had only known I wouldn't have done any.

• Posted

I had a posterior repair and a perenium repair on the 8th of October and had no problems following surgery. I did gentle walking until I saw the surgeon on the 2nd of Dec. He was happy with healing etc. I asked about returning to my excercise routine which is running on the teadmill during winter(outside in drier weather!) and yoga. He said yoga was ok but to wait until 12 we.eks for running (he said the crosstrainer was ok to use until then). I started gently and have built up to a 30 minute jog and feel ok! Hope that helps
  • Posted

Hi Laurajaday, I would really caution against high impact exercise, check out articles by Michelle Kenway - she is an Aussie Physio who has done a series of free films on You Tube, artilces and books about 'safe' pelvic floor exercises. By safe, that means not putting your pelvic flooor under pressure with crunnches and high impact exercise (such as running), and instead adapting exercises or avoiding some all together. Yoga is great, but again, as in pilates, there are some moves you need to avoid. Following your surgery it is vital that you continue to strengethn your pelvic floor, but do it in a way that is safe, so you do not suffer prolpase.

Changing your posture will help, watching your weight, supplementing with Vitamin D3 when you pelvic floor exercise and avoiding constipation will all contribute greatly to you maintaining the benefits of your surgery but more importantly make sure you don't have to repeat it.

Good luck.

S

• Posted

Just wait Darlin.. It will be well worth it in the end... Just a little more time. Hang in there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.