I want to have weight loss surgery but i dont know which one to have done.

Posted , 3 users are following.

My doctor said I could have gastric by pass surgery but i know there are other ones out there. I want to loose about 75 pounds. I am afraid if I loose more i will be a saggy mess. Please let me know if you have had any of these surgeries and how you feel about them.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hiya. My friend was a lovely bubbly person and about 3 stone overweight. She paid privately to gave gastric band fitted last February. We all went away for a weekend recently and the happy go lucky person had been replaced by someone who could manage to nibble on a tiny bit of food before excusing herself to go to the bathroom as the food had got stuck.  She spent the weekend a very unhappy person 😔
  • Posted

Hi Patty42962,

I am in the States so can you tell me how many stones equal what we call a pound??

I got the lapband surgery several years ago.I was nearly 400 pounds. I lost 135 pounds...but no more bc that was the very beginning of when my mobility got compromised from knee issues. I chose lapband bc I would still be able to eat what I wanted, but would just have to chew it better so it would go thru the small band that fit around the opening going into my stmach.

I would do it again if thats what you want to know. Someone's at my door now so I gotta go but ask me anything you like....

• Posted

DID YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH IT? CAN YOU EAT THE SAME FOOD ONLY LESS OF IT. HOW DOES THAT WORK. I AM AFRAID THAT I WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO EAT ANYTHING I LIKE AGAIN. IS IT A SURGERY WITH A LAPRA SCOPE OR DO THEY HAVE TO CUT YOU. WERE YOU OUT OF WORK FOR A LONG TIME? I NEED TO LOOSE WEIGHT BECAUSE I HAVE BACK PROBLEMS AND KNEE ISSUES. I WANT TO LOOSE AROUND 75 POUNDS AND MAYBE I WONT HAVE TO TAKE INSULIN ANYMORE. PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW THIS WORKS. THANKS
    • Posted

Hi Patt42962,

In fact that is why I chose lapband because it was a less invasive type of surgery, because yes it was done laparoscopically and I had no problems or side effects from it. I also chose it because I too love food and wanted to be able to eat the things I love just left of it and that is basically exactly how it works . However if you're wanting to lose weight more rapidly of course you're going to eat smarter and more healthly. But if we could all do that we wouldn't be fat in the first place we would we? There are a few things that I don't need anymore because you simply have to chew it too much and it tends to get stuck trying to go through that hole and that is beef and some types of meat but I'm so used to it I don't even miss it. You would really just have to hit and miss on your own to see what has a tendency to get stuck and what doesnt. The good thing for you is nowadays most ofThe good surgery weight loss programs come with extensive education and follow up from the doctor. Mine did not because it was in the new stages of the surgery. In fact insurance did not even cover it back then and I paid cash for it. So you will be very lucky and probably very well taken care of and very well schooled to do it now a days. It's a very smart thing of you to do because yes it's going to take the pressure off your knees which I am paying for dearly now in my life. I had already done too much damage. And if your diabetes is controllable by what you eat it's probably definitely going to help you with that. I hope this helps answer any questions for you... let me know if you want to know anything else....I'm happy to help. Ladyjack51

• Posted

Also...I missed very little work...just a couple days and that's the beauty of it being done laparoscopically.
    • Posted

Thank you very much for that information. How many years ago did you do this and did the weight stay off? I dont want to loose it too fast because I dont want to have saggy skin. I am almost 59 years old and I work full time so only having to miss a couple days is good. Can you eat most foods or only rabbit food? Can you have it reversed if you want later?
    • Posted

Hi patty42962,

Yes, I lost like 135 lbs and that was kind of my stopping point bc I was nearly 400 lbs. It's only in the past 5 years that I have gained back about 60 lbs bc of my huge decrease in mobility and also to make my life easier, I became hooked on BlueBell ice cream shakes. DON'T DO THAT!!!

Yes, as I said I think, one of the reasons I chose lapband was so I could still eat what I like....just less of it. And on meats and most things...you have to be careful and chew more.

Ya know...I can't remember what year...I think it was 2003 maybe?? It was right before insurances began covering it. Let me know...sorry I just found your reply to me!

Ladyjack51

• Posted

I HAVE BEEN READING THINGS AND I THINK LAP BAND IS THE WAY I AM GOING TO GO ON THIS. IT SAYS YOU CAN ADJUST THE BAND SO IF I WANT TO STOP LOOSING MORE WEIGHT THEN THEY CAN FIX THE BAND I GUESS. I WANT TO LOOSE ABOUT 75 LBS, MAYBE I CAN GET OFF OF INSULIN. IF I WILL BE EATING ALOT LESS THEN THEY WILL HAVE TO ADJUST MY INSULIN LOWER. WERE YOU ABLE TO EAT WHAT YOU LIKE JUST ALOT LESS OF IT? WAS THERE ANYTHING YOU COULDNT EAT? HOW LONG DID YOU HAVE TO BE OUT OF WORK?
    • Posted

Yes, you will have to adjust the band a few times to get it small enough to where you will consistently lose weight. Sorry I didn't mention that. The most important thing you can do is join a lapband group...something like this...where they have had it done and everyone shares their problems and issues and you will learn sooooo much that they don't tell you. I would do it again if I had it to do over. But...I would check into the sleeve bc I don't know much about that and they have that now too. I still have my lapband in my body and have never had a problem with it shifting or coming loose. But...the last time I had it adjusted was as small as I could tighten it. So...I haven't had it adjusted in years.
    • Posted

HAVE YOU KEPT MOST OF THE WEIGHT OFF SO FAR? ARE YOU ABLE TO EAT FOODS THAT YOU LIKE ONLY IN SMALL PORTIONS? I TAKE INSULIN SO THEY WILL HAVE TO ADJUST THAT DOWN OR MY BLOOD SUGAR WILL GO TOO LOW BECAUSE IM NOT EATING MUCH. HOW DO YOU TAKE MEDICINE WITH THIS. CAN YOU SWALLOW PILLS OK? DO YOU KNOW OF A GROUP TO TALK ABOUT THIS BEFORE I HAVE IT DONE. I LIVE IN PALMDALE ,CALIFORNIA. THAT IS ABOUT 50 MILES NORTH OF LOS ANGELES.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.