I want to heal PCO naturally but doctor said I should take pills to have "fake period"

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I've recently been diagnosed with PCOS and the doctor has given my the combined pill. After doing some research I've decided I really want to heal myself naturally if possible and im really determined to do everything I can to get my period back naturally. The doctor has given my the pill in order to given me a "fake" period and im having some really bad side affects (and I really don't want to be taking anything) so I would like to stop taking these but concerned they'll be consequences to not having a fake period? Is this the case? Any advice please would be appreciated 😊

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Have you been offered metformin? It is a safer way to balance your hormones, it isn’t “natural” but a lot of herbal remedies can have side effects that are unknown because they haven’t had all the research and trials pharmaceutical medicines have.

How long have you been on the pill? What side effects have you had? 

• Posted

Hi thanks for your comment

Nope! I haven't been offered that. But to will do some research on that now

It really intensifies my depression and anxiety, makes my sleeping all over the place, awful hormonal acne and I really don't understand why im taking this in the first place if it's only a fake period. I had next to no symptons before taking this other than a bit of extra belly weight (but still in normal BMI) and no periods.

• Posted

I got loads of bad side effects from the pill. I put weight on, got cellulite, got very intense mood swings and PMS and after years of being on it I developed multiple pulmonary emboli(blood clots in lungs), so I would recommend trying something else. It also can make you very lethargic. It is important to regulate your periods and shed the lining of your womb regularly because otherwise you are more at risk of female cancers, that is what my PCOS nurse said and that is why I stayed on the pill for so long. But I wish I had tried other alternatives. The other option is the progesterone only pill it is supposed to be much safer with less side effects. Good luck I hope you find something that works for you and keeps you healthy and doesn’t have unpleasant side effects.
  • Posted

First off I also have pcos. It sucks. You need to have a period. I haven't been able to have one in 4 years and they are very worried about cancer for me so please try anything to get your period to start again.

Second, pcos isn't a heal it and done thing. It's a lifetime disease that isn't curable. It's manageable but there is no cure for it. I don't know if your doctor told you this or not. My doctor before I switched to an endocrinologist (who specializes in pcos) told me it was easily cured. It not. It's easily managed. But no cure.

Third, metformin can be used for women with pcos but do your research. It caused a lot of problems with my sister who also had pcos. It's for people with diabetes so please be careful.

I'd try progesterone pills. They make you have major mood swings but it's only for a week. But it'll probably be a good solution to getting your period.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.