I want to know when the swelling goes down

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi, i am 49 and had my left hip replaced 6 days ago. I also had a bone graph on my pelvis as it was nearly eroded away!

I am at home but my leg swells up like the Incredible Hulk in the evening. I am in a lot of pain especially at night and find it so hard to sleep on my back! I am only 8.5 stone so weight is not an issue and I am a fit person who is doing all the recommended exercises after surgery! Please tell me there is light at the end of the tunnel

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi

My THR IS 7 days today and 4 month other side , regards swelling as others will tell you we have had brutal surgery and your body is in early stages of healing so please don't worry it's all normal and to be expected , also you've had extra surgery to pelvis and some heal quicker than others You could ring the ward up , they will be happy to answer any anxieties you have but please be patient and take each day at a time , you will feel a little better every day

My leg isn't as swollen as last time at this stage however I have more pain this time so every experience is different, keep your chin up , there is light at the end of the tunnel my 1st THR feels like it did 20 year ago !

Do try Ice and elevation it helps with swelling .

• Posted

Hi angie York

Tried the ice last nite and it's brilliant! Leg down to normal size this morning and the doc gave me anti inflammatory so I think this has all helped

Best of luck with yours and keep going strong!

And it's great to have a place to chat to others who have been through the same

Thank you

• Posted

Hi stargate, 

Warm welcome to this hippies forum where we share our personal experiences and stories, exchange tips and lend unconditional support ..

From previous repsonses you already know that you are really early in recovering from major surgery .. 

Good that you had your pain meds checked and are getting stronger ones - 

Pain and swelling in the hip can persist for a some time because bone, a living tissue, continues to re-model and adapt around the metal implants and, in your case, repairing your pelvis --

this is normal and part of the healing process .

And there are many reasons why swelling occurs:

during surgery tissues were cut, handled and pulled aroundand  can make fluid build up in the hours afterwards. This can stay or ebb and flow for days and even a couple of weeks. 

After my 1st THR surgery my leg was swollen, started at the top and going down until it reached my ankle where it lingered for weeks ... in addition I had a big handprint bruise on back of my thigh 

When getting 2nd THR I asked my surgeon (same one) if he could handle me with care this time ... Apparently he did, because there was hardly any swelling rolleyes

Are you taking any blood thinners?

you are doing great .. 

be gentle with yourself, okay and come back here anytime you have a concern., question or just want to vent ...

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi renee01952

Thanks for all the support! It's been a major boost!

And yes I am on blood thinners for 6 weeks and I suppose I was naive going into surgery as I thought I would be better after a few days!

I have taken all the tips and put them into practice and I just am listening to my body now! I am exercising and walking but sitting down too😘😘😘 thanks again

• Posted

Does your name reflect the series "Stargate or is it something else?Sorry had to ask. I am now exactly 2 weeks out and just tonight I noticed that my foot and calf looked better.Its been improving over the last week..You had more work done due to the graph.Ghe more work done the longer the swelling and the greater the pain. Be patient. I was awake until at least 3 am due to groin and upper thigh pain.I finally took a 800 ibuprofen and listened to a hypnosis for pain relief on YouTube which helped.Tonight I have an ice bag on my upper thigh and I'm going to take Tylenol.I only took pain medication s once today,I told myself if I needed it I would take it but did not need it.Its so wired becausx I honestly was on the verge of tears last night.The back thing is a pain.Give It a while though.That graph might make you more sensitive.Good luck,don't forget ice pack,Tylenol or Ibuprofen at bedtime or stronger if needed ,sleep is important🙂🌹

• Posted

hi msky, 

so sorry to hear this, darling - our bodies are amazing, aren't they ?  repairing the damage as fast as they can and letting us know that they are working on it .... like growing pains .... bone is living tissue after all ..

hypnosis for pain releif is great ... it relaxes your body, muscles, tissues, tendons, cells while healing is taking place ...

wishing you a good night with many uninterrupted hours of sleep ..

angel blessings

• Posted

Thanks Renee,going to give my pillow a spin right now.Angel Blessings to you as well??😊

• Posted

I didn't even realise that my left leg had swollen (some must have been the OA / osteonecrosis before the opp too) because my right ankle and lower leg are very swollen due to the damage there - when one ankle resembles a small planetary body, then the other one is bound to look slim! Then a few weeks ago I was wondering why my  slipper / shoes were falling off the left foot. Realised that it's shrunk! 

Mind you, that just means the other ankle now resembles a larger planetary body! C**p ! 

• Posted

Hi Msky

First yes I am a huge stargate fan! The stargate series so total geek 🤓 and I am 49😂😂😂

But yes I am on day 7 now so still on pain meds! But must check that you video!

You need to look after yourself and take more pain meds if you need them! I am going to stay positive and think that in 12 weeks we should be getting back to normal

Thanks again😘

• Posted

Hi beth2509

You are so right as I thought my leg resembles the Incredible Hulk but hey it's funny when ya think about it!

Look after yourself and your planetary body leg😂😂😂

Thanks

• Posted

I liked Stargate Atlantis too.I love shows that depict woman as leaders.I have 3 daughters and always sought programming and books depicting woman as not needing to be rescued but intelligent and capable.Loved "Everafter" with Drew Barrymore. .I had the same issue with pain again last night.I think the ice pack may of helped .I fall asleep in sheer exhaustion.I keep trying different things.willfind out what works.

• Posted

I am very much a believer if mind over matter.I used relaxation breathing techniques before I took that 4 hour exam.I studied for months,in pain while working full time. I felt much. Enter with relaxation techniques and prayer.Passed It.
    • Posted

Hi Msky,

Loved stargate Atlantis too and adored Everafter as well!

Sorry to hear you had another bad night, I had to take painkillers in the middle of the night but I feel a bit more normal today! They stronger painkillers I got are working better so don't be afraid to take them!

We all need our sleep and the ice pack is great!

Look after yourself and sending hugs

• Posted

It will get better.1 Day at a time.1 Night at a time

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.