I want to see a specialist or did the test again somewhere else

Posted , 4 users are following.

Doctor had done one test on me. and it shows I have hypo. and I am going to take another blood test at the same practise place. If the second test shows I really have hypo. Can I ask my GP to reffer me to a specialist to do more test or test again and get advice? I read that is up to my GP say yes or no. 

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

  • Posted

    Get them to refer you to an endocrinologist if they won't treat you or are unsure what to do.

    I had tests done which showed my Tsh to be slightly abnormal and even though I didnt have hashimotos disease (the main cause of underactive thyroid in women), they put me straight on a large dose of levothyroxine. I've spent years feeling awful and lost a load of my hair too.

    Just paid to see an endo myself as the nhs waiting list was long and he thinks I never should have had the medication in the first place. (now will probably be on levothyroxine for life).

    In my experience seeing a specialist would be my advice (even paying for one is well worth the money in my opinion and I'm not wealthy by any means). If in doubt always get more than one medical opinion and don't start these drugs unless you have to (or maybe they might suggest a low dose as a trial period).

    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      I'm not sure if you are UK based or whereabouts you live, but I have the contact details of a good endo in the Berkshire area if you would like them (he does private and nhs)
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Sayhitocaz I live in Berkshire and would like the details you have for an Endo.

    I had been on Levothyroxine 100mg for 2 years and thought I needed to up the dose as my hair was still falling out, exhausted etc.  However the dose has been reduced to .88mg due to readings of Tsh etc.  Now hair has gone from my forearms and lower legs.  Still exhausted, put on 10 pounds, sexual desire is in the negative and my hair is still falling out.  Now on antidepressants due to feelin low and tearfulness.  I certainly need help from somewhere.  

    Everyone's story seems to be the same. How can this be?

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up