I want to share my experience of taking zopiclone

Posted , 6 users are following.

​I have been taking the drug now for insomnia for about 7 or 8 years,it is only meant to be  used short term but i quess you would say my problem with sleep is acute. I was getting 30 a month but it was reduced to 20, this was fine by me and the reduction was done ever so slowly that I had no ill effects from reducing,there is alot of negative feedback from this drug, but if it taken as directed it does do what it is designed for, i am just wanting to put it out there that like all drugs if abused will stuff you up mentally,emotionally and physically, PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE if your abusing this drug seek help as an accidental overdose will kill you frown

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes, Zoplicone is as dangerous as any other addictive drug. My sister is an alcoholic, and the nights when she doesnt drink herself to sleep she takes zoplicone, otherwise she just doesnt sleep.

I have a problem with diazepam addiction and my withdrawal is now being managed by my doctors and local drug counselling services.

Yes, these drugs are dangerous, but I have overdosed heavily on diazepam several times and not died.   The danger is in the addiction and reliance, and long term use harms your'e memory.

Good luck with coming off them.

• Posted

Yes i totally agree with. I have been on Zopiclone for the same amount of time as you for insomnia. Its been a very good medicine for me, however with most meds they come with dangers and side effects. If Zopiclone is not abused it works a treat. If you increase your dosage stop and get help. For me i take 1 and a half(7.5m) a night and i never have gone over that. Like alcohol and many other drugs it can be abused.
  • Posted

Yes I agree it's a dangerous drug, and as addictive as any benzo I have ever taken. I was prescribed the maximum amount (3 7.5s) for 15 years and was abusing it off and on in the end. My doctor said it's actually hard to overdose on this drug, I should know I took 180 7.5 tablets out of pure desperation almost a year ago and was admitted to the psych ward to wean off of it.

If you are in the beginning of dependence on this drug try and get off of it. There are better meds for insomnia. I am on Lyrica and Latuda now.

• Posted

Hi

Speaking from 7 years of Zopiclone addiction I was initially given a pack of 28 7.5mg tablets, and this led to long-term addiction. It wasn't the case that I needed more and more of the drug, moreso that I could not sleep AT ALL without taking the zopiclone. In the end I ended up seeing a psychiatrist as I felt like my life was falling apart. I lost my partner, my home and my job. The doctor had started trying to wean me off the drug by giving me 4 tablets to last a week each time and I just found this too hard as my body seemed to need the zopiclone every single night.

I was diagnosed as severely depressed by a consultant psychiatrist, as I had become suicidal. I was placed on a combo of antidepressants and now have my life back. I really don't think I would ever recommend this drug as people can become dependent very quickly.

It was not a case of me "abusing" the drug by any means - but needing this pill every night for the rest of my life was not a path I eventually wanted to go down. And the withdrawal effects were as close to "Hell" as i have ever been...

Please be careful with this drug - i know it may seem like a Godsend but it really can end up causing more problems and it can even worsen sleep long=term as it changes the architecture of our sleep, it took me almost a year of being clean to be able to sleep without palpitations and waking up drenched in sweat. So glad I came off this drug x x

Emma

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.