I want to stop taking co codomols.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. I’ve been taking my “happy pills” cocodomols for nearly 5 years. Started for back ache. Then realised they made me feel so happy and relaxed. Now I’ve had enough. But petrified of coming off them. I was taking 8 a day. 30/500. Woke up 1st priority was taking 2. Them if clock watch till I can take another 2  never gone over my limit. I’ve reduced myslef down to 4 a day. But today. I’ve not taken any. 1pm.) normally I would of been on my 2nd lot by now. I’m getting cramps and irratble and hate People at the min. Is this normal ???  How can I help myslef? The cramps and toilet runs ?! (Sorry) no sweats. Yet!!!! I’ve reduced my intake slowly... do I carry on or take 2?? And hold off for a while. Feel like there part of my life now and I need them. But so dertamined to get off them. There nasty even when the doc is late signing. I’m waiting like a druggie. I’m ashamed no one knows how I am. I make excuses up to take them. Back ache headaches etc. No more for me. I need to quit this I need help and support without friends and family. What do I do. Thanks ??

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kellieanne , nobody said it was going to be easy, I am 2 weeks off and my IBS isn't great now but for me ,he all depends how bad you want to stay off them. My doctor knew about it and gave me paracetamol's. I did cold turkey straight off, be brave good luck .

• Posted

Thankyou. I really really want to be off them. I’m more scared of the symptoms of not taking them.  I’m so used to taking them now too. I’m dreading the cold turkey feeling. I want to se a doc about it. But not sure how to go about it. X 
    • Posted

Hi Kellieanne

I think it’s the fear of the withdrawal symptoms that make it so much worse!!! I started coming off them 2 weeks ago. The Friday I took 12 which was daily dose (nurofen plus and/or panadeiene). 6 when I woke up and 6 around lunch. On the Saturday I took 4 in the morning and then 4 in the afternoon. On the Sunday I took 3 in the morning. On the Monday I took 2 late afternoon and then didn’t have any for a few days!! I do have a packet in the cupboard and have had a couple here and there (no more than 2 a day) but not everyday. I had the runs for first few days but then took Imodium which helped. I had mild restless legs but was already taking magnesium so it wasn’t too bad. I got a script from my dr so I could get something stronger if needed. 

Whenever I went to the loo I just kept saying to myself yay my body is getting rid of this horrid drug. I did feel a bit like I had a cold (aches etc) but again Judy kept saying it’s my body releasing the drug. I stayed very positive and I honestly think that helped. Good luck. You’ll be off them in no time!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.