I want to stop taking Lorazepam. How do I stop?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have taken approximately 86 Lorazepam over the last 104 days. Sometimes 1mg a day, sometimes 0.5mg a day and, sometimes not at all. I really did not know that these could become addicting or that I could go through withdrawal when I stop taking them. I don't want to take them anymore. Over the past couple days I have taken 0.5mg a day. Not at any specific time during the day. Should I taper off or just stop taking them? I am not sure what to do. I am scared and upset with myself for taking this drug in the first place.

Thank You!!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Erin, don't best yourself up over taking them, it sounds like you've been taking them responsibly and guess you've only taken them as abd when you've needed them.

Tapering off is the best way of coming off them however I would do this after consulting your GP who may well suggest a tapering off plan for you, the key I guess is to do it slowly to avoid any withdrawal symptoms.

Im taking Clonazepam when needed which is usually once a day at 0.5mg, I can take two a day but don't, they are my safety net really for when I'm really bad.

• Posted

Hi Erin

Not your fault.. doctors prescribe benzos not realizing the terrible effects they have on some people.

I had been on 1 mg a day for 2 1/2 years ;doctor said I could stop cold turkey. That was not the right way for me. The medical profession did not support me so I went online and followed the Ashton manual.

I didnt feel good on them so I pushed through tapering and was off in 3 months.

See what your doc has to say and check out the info on the internet.

Good for you for wanting off. It may be really easy for you.

• Posted

Hi Erin it is hard. I am taking 1.25 mg per day of valium tapered slowly over 2 months from one month on 5mg. All of a sudden today my blood pressure and heart rate shot up and I know it is because I reduced by .25 a couple of days ago. Hate Benzos. It sure is tough to get off even a low dose. Perhaps we can support each other thru this. Take care. You can do this! Shane

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.