I want to stop taking PPI medication

Posted , 4 users are following.

Has anybody stopped taking PPI medication and took Zantac instead I'm fed up with all tbd side affects like thinning  bones hair falling out joint pain would i get acid rebound if i just stopped and took Zantac at a high dose I'm still getting heart burn mist days anyway I've been in Zonton for five years now had enough im depressed about my constant joint pain and the way my hairs gone so fine and falls out help please anyone got the answer 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Gillian, I was in your shoes for 13 or so years. I started taking PPI medication at the age of 17 and it wasn't until I turn 30 that I could stop and no longer need the medication. About 2 years ago and actually it would be two years this coming August I had a procedure done to eliminate all symptoms of acid reflux. It's called linx. I am not sure where you are located in the UK or in the States but from the people I've spoken with in the UK it's hard to come by but in the States it's a little easier to have the procedure done. It's still considered a new procedure and not everyone is able to get the device put in. There are some preliminary testing that needs done to see if you are qualified to be candid it to get the procedure. If you are able to goes to your gastroenterologist and ask about the device. I know it has changed my life and only for the better I can now eat things I have not been able to eat before and drink things I have not been able to drink before as well. And the nice thing about the procedure it's a very simple procedure in the device starts working right away and does not take any time at all to kick in. But you're right about the PPI medication they are not good for any parts of your body there are lots of studies that shown they have negative effects on areas of the body. One area that affected me greatly was my liver I have what they call a non-alcoholic fatty liver but the levels in my liver were very high since I have not taken any PPI medication my levels for my liver have come down and now my liver is almost back to normal. So if you can schedule an appointment with a gastroenterologist and ask about the device it will change your life only for the better not for the worse. And in case you hear of any negative things about the device they are not true one thing being that you were not able to get any MRIs however that is not correct you can get an MRI they just have to do it in a lower dosage. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to respond back to me

• Posted

That sounds great. I'm in desperate need of surgery. I go to my gastro tomorrow. I had an endoscopy in November, I need another one. I've gotten worse. I had a stomach polyp from years of acid burning my stomach. Which was benign.. I can't keep sitting here and do nothing. And wait for bad news

• Posted

Make sure the doctor doesnt keep shoving those PPI meds down your throat. All that is doing is putting a band aid on the problem. Mention the Linx and if they wont do it or hear you out go to another doctors. Do some research on the device too just so you know what your getting into. Very easy procedure.
    • Posted

Thank you in going to an appointment this week with my doctor I will mention this I'm in the UK 

• Posted

I found some doctors who do the surgery. If my doctor doesn't hear me today, I'm still going to talk to the surgeons to schedule that procedure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.