I want to stop taking zopiclone.

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've been taking them secretly starting off with one 7.5 per night gradually increasing to 2 per night and maybe one during the day , must add I'm buying them off the Internet I've tried to come off them but the anxiety palpitations and moods are awful , can anyone help x

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You must get off this horrible drug. Google Dr. Heather Ashton....she has a plan that has you weaning off the zop with valium, then slowly weaning off the valium. My husband has been doing this for just over 2 weeks and last night was his first night without zop or valium ..... so glad to have him back. He was a mess on zop...he is not totally better, but 90% better than he was, and this will improve the longer he is off the drug. Good luck with it.  Just do it.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your reply but im frightened of coming off even though I want to I've tried so hard but the headaches and sleepless nights were awful. I will google that Dr. Thank you cx
  • Posted

You have to put up with sleepless nights learn to use them, you need to talk to your DR as I need and take the help the give, it works
  • Posted

Talk to your doctor honestly about your situation, he'll help to wean you off zopiclone. Being prescribed this addicting drug is bad enough, but you seem to be getting all you want. I was told by my doctor before he prescribed them that they were addicting. Google zopiclone to see the effects of the drug, not good !! I take zopiclone, 5mg a night with 30mg of mirtazapine, works great with me, but everyone has a different reaction to the drug ? Anything over 7.5 mg a night is very additing, wean yourself off now or face worse problems in the future, good luck !!
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply , I'm gonna try and get an appointment with my doctor asap , I'm afraid to say I'm already addicted to these horrible things , I will let you know how I get on God knows when the next available appointment for my doctor will be 😢
    • Posted

I know you're afraid, but he's a doctor, he won't have any judgement against you. What's Nike's theme, Just Do It !! Good luck !
    • Posted

Ok, I was on them and getting them online, I plucked up the courage and phoned the DR one evening, they were amazing, I was so worried and they got me an appointment fast as I worried I would back out, Let me say this, my DR did not judge, told ne it is NOT an addiction but a deppedancy , they gave me a box of 3.75 Zop and then for a round 2 months I would go in and talk about it, and they gave me ideas to help, it did help me, they it wont be a fast thing to come off, so 5 months on I get a prescription for 3.75, but I only take one when i really feel bad the other nights I cut them in half, I want now to cut them half again and come off them, I havent even told my DR that i do this, im sure I will see her soon and take it further, so please phone your GPa nd chat to them, even as I did the duty GR late one evening, they will help, they wont judge you, they tell you off, but they will work it out with, also everyone is different, they askedd me to try a different drug and I said no, I would rather just come off the one thing , dont be scared, dont worry, please phone them
  • Posted

Hi,I've only just come across this discussion by chance.

I've been taking zopiclone secretly for nearly 20 years, so am obviously addicted to it. I've tried not taking it at times, but because I know I haven't taken the pill I automatically can't sleep.

It's a nightmare that I can't seem to get out of.

Waiting for a doctors appointment is also a nightmare.

If I'm honest I didn't realise the effects of zopiclone until a few days ago and now its worrying the life out of me. 

I'm glad you are taking steps to sort your problem out, let's hope I can be as strong as you x

• Posted

You should not go off cold turkey, it will be a long, gradual process likely with the help of another drug for a while. Google Dr. Heather Ashton, she has provided a process that might help. And please see your doctor before you do anything. You can do it, but it won't be easy. But you'll have your life back. Best of luck.
  • Posted

Hi fiona

Is it safe to be ordering these pills from the Internet ? Are you having them shipped over from somewhere be careful when it comes to this incase they might not be what your meant to be taking

• Posted

Manmy are safe, in the UK since they became illegal , you have to have a doctors prescription, its all done from a chemist in the UK, still bad to do though
  • Posted

Hi Fiona,

I'm on a lot of meds, I've smoked and drank but zopi's are the only thing I can say I'm truly addicted too! So you have my sympathy.

To offer advice, would be helpful to know why your taking them? X

• Posted

Hello all.

Been on the Zops for 8 years now @ 7.5 per night and I dare not miss one!  The feeling is awful, and one I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.  They really have no effect now, and the only reason I take them is because of the fear I mentioned. I'm not the same person I used to be, mood swings, palpitations etc., and I want off them so badly now.  I'd rather not sleep!  Any advice guys an gals? x

• Posted

You need to go to a GP doctors, and first take UK pills not off the internet.. Doctors are suprisingly helpful now they know it's their fault!
    • Posted

Hello Daniel

I wish all doctors were helpful but I don't think they are well at least not my doctor I have been taking 2x 7,5mg everynight for like 18 years and now have they only decided to take me of them not even ask me first just stopped my repeat perscription and told me to get on with it that's not the way any doctors should be

• Posted

That is awful. You need to switch doctors. You can't just stop cold turkey...you need to go off slowly likely with the aid of another drug to start. 
    • Posted

Thank you linda for understanding me all it has done is made my aniexty worse than ever and I have asked to see another doctor and I am going to ask can I see a psychiatrist to at least try and help me out and I can not believe that after all these years they suddenly want me to stop like it's really beginning to affect my mental health also I get really bad migraines which is another reason why my sleep is so important to me but they don't seem to care and treat me like I'm a drug addict
    • Posted

I'm on 15mg too, I'm lucky in a way that I'm a pysch patient so it's not just that I have insomnia, so I get pretty much what ever I want or need to be "stable" - but I suggest you see a new GP. How long have you been off them? Technically you shouldn't get physical withdrawals just major sleep deprivation
    • Posted

I've had terrible withdrawal symptoms including anxiety , palpitations, horrendous headaches , you really need to wean yourself of them 😢
    • Posted

Im not yet of them Daniel they stopped them on December the 16th and gave me 56 x 7.5mg to get on with and telling me to take just one at night and I have really tried but I just can't sleep with all the worry so I'm still gone back up to 15mg because of the worry and stress it's giving me but they run out on the 11 of Jan so next week I am so scared at this moment in time I can't think straight
    • Posted

I'm exactly the same, I'm scared, I'm taking 15mg and told to take 7.5mg I've tried to stop but I just stick another one in my mouth! I can't help myself. Why don't we reduce together? Can you cut a 7.5mg in 4 pieces? and take 1 7.5mg plus 3 pieces of the 7.5mg?
    • Posted

Daniel how can I cut a small pill into 4 ? I can cut one in half and then maybe take one and half its the thing in your head that keeps saying to me oh you haven't taken the right dosage that keeps niggling at me I'm even looking on the web trawling sites that sell them yes bad idea I know but mentally it's going to affect me I know
    • Posted

Thats the same as me, my brain says oi take the rest you idiot! But its pyschological. 7.5mg should break into two with a split down the middle, then take that and half it so you're left with 4 pieces
    • Posted

I will try tonight to see if it will work

And your lucky if your doctors are keeping you on them and they really don't say anything to you at all?

I mean do you have to keep going for a check up like every 6 months or so ?

• Posted

Could the migraines be a result of taking the zopiclone?? I know my husband's head problems are a result of the zop and he is getting better now that he's been off them for about 2 weeks now, Yes please be persistent and see a psychiatrist or a psychologist for a proper weaning program. They might give you ideas on how to sleep better without the zop. things like meditation, breathing exercises, etc. I can't believe some of these doctors can be so insensitive, after all they started the over-prescribing of this drug. It is only intended for short-term use, yet they keep prescribing more and more. I wish you luck....stick with your plan....you can do it.
    • Posted

Thank you Linda I was getting my migraines before I started to take the sleeping pills I only started getting migraines from a blow to the head

That I had when I was dating my now ex boyfriend and this was how they started in the first place and as a result I get them every month nothing I do can stop them and some say it's post traumatic stress and most doctors don't really want to know they say I should be over it by now but how can you ever get over being beaten up and blows to the head ?

• Posted

They're not happy I'm taking 15mg, but I've had a repeat script for 7.5mg per month for nearly 10 years
    • Posted

Yeah but if your taking 15 mg are they giving you 56 pills a month then ?
    • Posted

Yes and no, I've used two doctors to get two loads of 28's but now I'm just at one doctor, used the 28 in two weeks and got another 28 on Monday she said she would give it me early but I need to reduce down to 7/5mg again. So I'm guessing if I go back in another two weeks I'll be turned away
    • Posted

Yes that what I did I was getting 28 and I was taking 2 and then I kept putting the perscription in and they then called me in to ask me why I was getting through loads so I told them and back then they sent me to see a psychiatrist who then said oh I can't just stop them otherwise you will start seeing pink elephants so that's why I do know they can cause side affects and he didn't have any problem with me taking 15 mg a night but he left it up to the doctors to decide and so they left me on them all the more years up until now they want to cut me of without anything so panic stations have set in and now I'm like whoa 18 years I have become so dependant on them and don't get any support from my family at all they agree with the doctors I'm glad you know how I feel because no one else apart from this forum know what it's like
    • Posted

How old are you? Do you have any other issues? Any medical conditions?
    • Posted

I'm 48 years young lol and no I don't have any other medical issues but the doctors are saying they want to take me of them for medical reasons so I don't know what they are but I know I will have to cut down at some point because it's like someone else being in charge of your life and I need to try and get of them so I can get my life back and not have to keep worrying every single month am I going to be getting them or not what about you ?
    • Posted

Making myself 10 years older I'm 38 how can I have put 48 I have been on them since I was 20 so quiet a long time I have just been reviewing these online and yeah I think it's time to come of now I hope you manage to come of yours as well good luck with it all
    • Posted

I took a 1/4 less last night, my first night I managed to reduce from 15mg zopiclone to 11.25mg I didn't sleep well, but I slept, I just didn't get very deep sleep (feel achy and unrested) but happy I managed it - how did you get on Kelly?
    • Posted

Hi I took my normal 15 mg last night but I am going to take just one pill tonight and see how I get on I don't have many left now like only until Monday but got a appointment with a doctor on Tuesday so got to go through it all again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.