I was 50 Years Old, Iam suffering prostate enlargement since from last 8 years.

Posted , 9 users are following.

Recently i have undergone prostate biopsy and result was not related to Cancer. size of the prostate enlargement was morethan 100. 2 times daily i used to pass urine through pipe. Iam using Urotone tab twice in daily and Afdura once in a day. What was the treatment suggesitions, should it is further increase or can we control the increase in size. Doctor was suggesting to go for a surgery to remove protate. Should it is suggestable, if yes what was the effects can i face after operation. Please help me in this

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Are you self catherizing (CIC) twice a day? How much urine in millilmeters (ml) is coming out of the catheter. How much urine comes out when you void without the catheter? We're not doctors here, but removing your prostate is very extreme. The major possible side effects are incontinence and erectile dysfunction (impotence). I would only do that as a last resort. Lots of other options available today. 

Is the Urotone helping? This is not commonly prescribed here in the U.S. Have you ever tried Tamsulosin (Flomax)? 

Jim

• Posted

Are you in the U.S. or UK?

Look at the options. No, removing the prostate is over the top. You have a lot of other things to choose from. My prostate was 125 cc. I chose FLA or  Focal Laser Ablaton. There is alot of success with this but first you should know what you are dealing with and a Urologist will not even really know so he will not tell you.

You need to have an MRI. And if you are past 8 weeks from the biopsy then the wounds from that biopsy have healed enough to look at then inside of the gland and see if and where you are getting blocked. You can also check out you residual retention situation. Take your time get the facts. Know what you are really dealing with and you can get repaired. Look at the threads on this site about "FLA" there are at least 3 threads and they have conversations and facts for a year back. If you want more information. I will personal message you. But you need to calm down and do your reasearch. It can be done quickly but you must become educated first.

John

• Posted

Hello Sir, I was in Hyderabad, India. How much time i have to wait without operation and can i forward my reports to you please go through it, give your suggesition.
  • Posted

I don't understand your statement: result not related to cancer? If there is no cancer why would they suggest sugery which I agree is an absolute last resort. Lots of men live with BPH (myself included); I would definetely get a second opinion about the surgery. Is your doctor a urologist? If not, he should be. Living without a prostate is not good. How old are you? 

• Posted

I haven't had this done, so others will tell you better than me, but I think the things to think about are:

As most of the ejaculatory fluid is formed in the prostate, you will lose the sensation of release of fluid at orgasm. There is risk of loss of ability to have penile erections. There is risk of not being able to control urination = incontinence. However, there may be relief that the benign enlargement could become cancerous and with no prostate, there can be less pain when sitting or defecating.

• Posted

Please look into one of the other less evaseive surgery to help the prostate.  Rezum or Pae or Urolift.  There are less side effects.  I had the urolift done to mine and it worked well.  Do not have your prostate removed all that will do is cause you more problems.  And at 50 you don't need them  Take care  Ken 

• Posted

Yes, I agree with all these posts. If something does need to be done, check out FLA, PAE, Urolift, REZUM, Itind, Gat Goren, etc before even thinking about removing the prostate. There are many discussions on the website about these other procedures with posts from men who have had them.

Rich

• Posted

Total removal of prostate may considered when it is absolutely inevitable. I had enlarged prostate (probably 70 gms or so) about 15 years back.I decided to have TUR not the total removal of prostate. since then I have no problem. Immediately after the op, my prostate decreased to 19-20 gms. Now after so much time it is 47 gms. I do not have any other problem except going to bathroom about 3 times during night and this acceptable in my advanced age.
    • Posted

Thanks for you reply, can i forward all my reports to you. Please give a suggesition after going through my reports 
  • Posted

With no cancer why does this doctor want to remover the prostate just because it's big.  Maybe 15 or 20 years ago that was the was they did it.  Turp or remove it.  Within the last 5 years we have come a long way Now you have urolift pae rezum tio help you.  I had a urolift done 2 1/2 years ago and it is doing great.  My prostate was the size od a lemon.  It felt like I was seating on a ball.  Go see another doctor.  Please  Ken

• Posted

Hello;

There are a lot of different options for this.

A laser procedure, such as a "holmium enucleation procedure" could be performed by someone with experience for this large of a gland. A removal of the prostate can be done, but that is a very large procedure. A TURP can be performed by a very experienced urologist who does large glands, but most urologists should not do a TURP of a gland that large.

There is a newer procedure as well, called the "Rezum"; it is technically for glands between 40-80 g, but some centers are involved in a large gland trial, and 100g can be performed (depending how much larger than 100g it is!)

All of these procedures are covered by insurance, but I always tell folks it's never a bad idea to get a second opinion, as it is your body, after all!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.