I was diagnosed in November, i just wanted to know does anyone

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was diagnosed a month ago, I'm not to sure how far its progressed but I've been getting pains in between my shoulder blades and just wanted to know if anyone has had the same problem. And if you all had some way to deal with it. Also would having someone step on my back have any bad effects.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

O, gosh NO, don't let anyone walk on your back!  You shouldn't be getting chiropractic adjustments either.  My primary pain is upper mid back.  It can be quite intense too

• Posted

I get pains in between my  shoulder blades too now.  I was told not to go to a chiropractor and definitely don’t let anyone step on your back.
  • Posted

I believe besides SI joint pain, between the shoulder blades is the most common problem with AS sufferers. It's one reason why we are commonly stooped forward.

I use ice and hear to help relieve pain.

As far as treatment goes, you and your Dr need to figure out what's right for you. If it includes aggressive PT, that's up to your doc. Many here will tell you to stay away from Chiro and massage, but if that works for you, do it. Your disease is different than mine. Each case is unique. I actually stayed clear of massage and PT stretching. My Dr had me begin both about three years ago and it's been worth every penny I spend. I sleep better, I have more energy and despite being 100% fused, I have decent flexibility. So, use your best judgement and don't be afraid to explore alternative therapy. You don't know what works for you if you don't try it.

• Posted

Look into alternative treatment. Diet for AS, supplements, yoga, acupuncture etc there many groups you can join on FB. pm me for more info xx
  • Posted

Dill.Big.... please don't have anyone walk on your back! I had an appointment 2 days ago with a nuerosurgeon about my neck. It has started to fuse together and he said, if I were to get in a car accident or something, my neck would probably break. There could be something similar going on with you and it seems like the last thing you should do is apply pressure to that area. If I were you, I would not see a chiropractor without talking to my doctor or rheumatologist first either. 

Your pain, yep. I feel that too. It's pretty much a constant. Nights are the worst.

Stretch. Stay active. Try acupuncture. Or yoga. Also, peppermint essential oil is my go-to for back and neck pain! I dab a few drops on the area, massage it in and it doesn't take the pain away but it really helps. You might walk around smelling like a candy cane but it's extremely soothing!

• Posted

For God's sake don't let anyone walk on your back!!! You will regret it. I did.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.