I was diagnosed with cervical spondylosis a few years ag...

Posted , 1 user is following.

I was diagnosed with cervical spondylosis a few years ago. I was referred by GP to a neurologist and an orthopaedic surgeon. Following that I went to a manipulative physiotherapist for treatment following referral. The condition remains ongoing and self management is the key I usually have neck pain but worst of all "flare ups" which can be severe and frightening. This is worst when out and I can feel that I am about to blackout and get very dizzy - I have been assured that this is just a feeling - it is made worse by bright lights (eg in big supermarkets) - this can make me panic which makes things worse.

The feling I get is that my condition is understood but there is not a lot that can be done - most days I am okay, others suffering mild pain in my neck - others the severe onset with pain (cerviogenic headache) more severe in my head, the conditions described above then sometimes kick in. My neck can get very "crackly" when i move ti and so can my upper spine.

I thought i would share this - does anybody else suffer similar symptoms. Ian

[i:2c1cdbb7c5]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:2c1cdbb7c5]

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi ian i have same symptons flare ups as you say some days its mild pain but other times its so bad that i think i am going to pass out or worse,i also suffer headaches and have sometimes a feeling of immense pressure in my head.

my vision also goes blurred and as you say it brings on a panic attack to be honest you think you are going to drop dead,i have had some relief from the back man but it just seems to carry on.

i have had facet block jabs they were great for a week then bang back to normal headaches are terrible i think that i need a brain scan but the docs keep assuring me thats its all to do with the spine disc 67and8 in my case.

yes its terrible but you just got to try different things and hope something will help

all the best steve.

[i:2b917a027a]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:2b917a027a]

• Posted

hi ian just been reading your comments on cervical spondilitis. I have had ankylosing spondilitis for about 14 years now, I have been taking indomethacin for about 10 years which gave me my life back. now the dr has taken me off them due to stomach problems and hypertension and I have become virtually house bound I get no relief from pain at all. I am now waiting to go to the hospital to see the consultant to see what he can do for me. I know one thing thiugh I will not be taking any more nsaids they will prob kill me off. the dr prescribed co-drydomol pain killers the other day but totally useless to the pain. I hope you have more luck than me all the best Barbara smile

[i:304dd4a6b0]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:304dd4a6b0]

• Posted

Hi Ya,

just reading through all these replys its like listening to myself!!!

im totally fed up.i had surgery for scoliosis 10 yrs ago (im now 37) and this week saw a doc in the hospital,his principle diagnosis is cervical spondylosis and cong' thoracic hemivertibra.

I have constant aches in my neck and shoulders (not forgetting the crunching and cracking when i move my neck!!)and the last few months when i lie down i get a dull ache in my upper right arm,never associated it with my spine...now i know its to do directly with it..iv not experienced dizzyness yet,so i guess iv that to look forward to...great!!!!!!!

im so fed up this week and after reading these replys,i realise that i have a lifetime of pain ahead...im sorry im in a negative mood this week.

so just thought id share my 50 cents worth

regards

Trisha

• Posted

Oh my God!!!! Thankyou thankyou Thankyou!!!! At last i'm not going mad!! I too suffer from dizzyness and yes it does especially get worse in supermarkets and places such as those! I have been suffering from cervical spondylosis since last year ( read my blog) and i am so relieved to hear that i am not the only one who suffers from this unwelcome effect so often bought upon us by this bloody depressing and painful diagnosis!!!

If you hear of any miracle cure for this undesirable condition then please let me know!!!

• Posted

I was diagnosed with cervical spondylosis about 10 yrs. ago also. I am constantly in neck, shoulder and back pain. Sometimes worse than others. I have become uncoordinated and have recently been experiencing some severe dizzy spells. I become nauseated and sweaty when this happens. My GP is sending me to an ENT doctor. I shared with her my spondylosis situation but she didn't want to acknowledge that that could be causing my dizzy spells. She said that wouldn't do that (I know better). It sounds to me that I'm going to have to do my own thing on this so I am doing a lot of reading on it. I appreciate hearing your experience. Makes me feel not so along.
  • Posted

yes i have this problem but i dont get dizzyness ,i get severe pain in my kneck constantly and muscle weakness in my arm,flare ups can be bad when i cant even move or lift my head from the neck,i also get the crackling symptom and heavy clicking in the shoulder joints when removing my jacket which can be rather painful actually i have suffered this since i was around 27 yrs of age i am now 48 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.