I was diagnosed with Chronic Kidney Failure 4 months ago.. need advice

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello all, I am a 20 year old student, who has always had health issues, but 4 months ago I found out i have Chronic Kidney Disease, I have been put on 10mg of Ramipril... I just want some advice as I don't really know how to cope with this news, my friends don't understand so I haven't been able to get the support I need so I want to know how can I explain to my friends what CKD is and how it will affect me? 

Thanks x

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jenny, I have CKD stage 3. It's hard to make people understand sometimes, unfortunately the words chronic kidney disease, in my opinion, makes the condition sounds worse than it is for me. Obviously others with the condition may feel differently. I think I'm one if the fortunate ones in that it doesn't affect my daily life at all, except for when taking ibrbrufen would help my back condition. I try to stay healthy and my meds are well controlled. You don't say what stage you are at/ if they found a cause and what if anything else they are doing for you, this might help others to give you some advice.

• Posted

Hi Louise, 

Thank you for replying,  I know what you mean CKD isn't the nicest name and it can sometimes make people feel weird when you say it. I don't know what stage I am at, I have always had kidney issues and from just a regular check up they found my kidney was struggling and protein was in my wee, so my kidney wasn't doing it's job properly, so the medication I'm on is trying to basically help my kidney for as long as possible, but I think by the sounds of it, I will at some point in my life have to have a kidney trasnplant. 

• Posted

Hi Jenny,

I understand your difficulty in coming to terms with CKD.  However on the positive side now that you know you can take steps to prevent further damage.  It is not a communicable disease, so there is no risk of transfer to other people.  It is a sign that your kidney has been reduced in efficiency by some health event, medication which may have caused damage, physical injury or some other outside cause.  You will need to check that anything you consume is 'kidney safe', and ensure that you stay hydrated all the time.  I would expect your Dr to refer you to a urologist as you are so young,  so that you can get the right advice on how to protect your remaining kidney function.  If you are fortunate you are quite likely to find you have no symptoms day to day!  The very best of luck!

KenR

• Posted

Hi KenR,

Thank you for your message. I really appreciate the advice in trying to do more research into CKD and contacting professionals and contacting my Dr to ask more questions. I have many years to go in my life but it's just an obstacle in my way that I will overcome

• Posted

Hi,

I feel your frustration as other do on here, I was still at work with stage 5 and 6% GFR and because I only told certain people when other found out I always got "well you look ok to me" I wanted to punch them in the face and say what would you know but I never I just smiled through gritted teeth and nodded.  As you come across things or questions that you want to ask, come on here there are lots of lovely people and there is no point us telling you what might happen as we are all different and what symptoms some have others don't so no point getting caught up in possible things that may happen.  Also remember we can only advise and are not a susbstitute for medical advice.  Have said that there is personal experience by the bucket load on here so never feel alone.  I have done all the stages, the dialysis and the transplant last year and I am still kicking, depending on the reason for your CKD you may never progress the very best of luck and there is always someone to listen if you want to ask a question or just have a general rant (we have all been there) you are not alone my lovely x

• Posted

Hi Helen,

I don't know what stage I am on, because I have only recently been diagnosed properly stage 1 or 2. I know exaclty how you feel, it is that constant battle of looking fine and friends saying "well you're okay as I can't see whats wrong". The hardest struggle i've found with telling friends is that many people don't understand and therefore just ignore i've said it, and that's been very hard to deal with. 

You have made me feel better about my condition! I do feel like I needed to join a CKD group and contact people with the same condition as me, we all have to stick together!  I wish you all the best of luck! x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.