I was diagnosed with gallbladder sludge after a visit to ER due to emesis and indigestion of food.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I was told by the doctors I have thick sludge build up in the gallbladder. They told me to follow up with my GI, but I am still awaiting an appointment date. They advised me to eat a low-fat diet, and cut down on unhealthy foods, which I did. At first, I didn't take it seriously as I researched it, and it seemed common and normal in people and disappear on it's own. After that, since I didn't have much pain, I continued with my regular diet and that specific week, there were many events, that led to eating out and consumption of alcohol (moderate but it was 2 days in one week, which is very unusual for me). But after that week, I started having abd pain, in the right upper side. Before docs telling me about the sludge, I had the on and off pain since last May in the same general area. It started with constipation, then it was pain the right side abd, and I had an US and the doctor said it was normal, nothing bad. I also underwent an endoscopy because of the pain and discomfort. They said it was just a little inflammed, and gave me anti-production of acid meds. It seemed to help at first, but there was still pain in the area. Along, with thte medication, I started eating healthier with adding more fiber to my meals. The constipation would come and go, sometimes normal but other days very bad. Now after the ER visit, the constipation is BAD. And my pain has become more severe. Starting this week, I've been on a strict diet to avoid stressing out my gallbladder but the pain is still severe. Even if there is no pain, there is discomfort, as it's swollen. I don't understand if gallbladder problems can cause this severe constipation issues, or if it can be something else. I have read people's personal experience and the gallbladder remove may or may not fix the issue. I already had surgery when I was a kid, and I'm very afraid and anxious to have it again. I'd want to know if there is someone with similar symptoms. I'm a 20 year old female, and it's getting really worrisome due to my anxiety and it's getting in the way of my school. I'm going to follow a strict diet, but Im scared to even eat healthy as I don't know what foods irritate it. It seems like I'm too young to have problems and I don't know if it's serious. Are there are tests that I can do that might help in right diagnosis and any special diet to reduce the sludge on its own? 

Thank you! I appreciate it 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Just recently, I noticed some swelling, I don't know if I am just freaking out but it looks swollen. And I heard people get HIDA Scan. I also am feeling heavy in my head and can't focus. I also have a lot of straining due to the constipation problems. 

• Posted

Since you have already being diagnosed with sludge,  the better option is to try with ursoacid /antigall tablets to see if it dissolves he sludge. I was having a non working gallbladder with 0% working with no stones. But whenever i felt better after a period of healthy foods, i ate at restaurants which ended up in multiple gallstones. I also get same symptoms like you where i will have pain when i eat in restaurant and more fatty/oily foods. We don't know the success rate of ursodiol and side effects ,but better check with your doctor. 

For me what i feel, once the gallbladder causes problem,it can be only controlled it can never return to normal functioning.

• Posted

Sorry you're going through this.  There is a gallbladder diet on this site.  Unfortunately, no one is too young to have gallbladder problems.  That's a myth.  And there is no way to reduce sludge with diet.  

Once your gallbladder starts producing stones, it won't stop.  It also affects all the other organs in your digestive system, including pancreas, stomach, liver and intestines.  Because the organ is diseased, it can fuse to other organs, making removal difficult.  It can also rupture or turn cancerous.  Best to have it out...xx

• Posted

A farmer friend of mine swears by two teaspoons of raw cider vinegar in a little warm water 1st thing every day.

It's an old 'wives tale' but it might work..... A very low fat diet can cause gall stones as well as a very fatty diet because apparently the gall bladder does not flush it's acids out on a regular basis. I would ask about Ursodioxycholic acid which dissolves cholesterol  gall stones.   I was told it's not nice to take but it did not bother me at all and it did dissolve a few stones for me.

I also drank a foul potion of whole fresh lemon in a quarter of a cup of very warm olive oil. The experience was not nice but it did flush my gall bladder out on two occasions but it did not get rid of 5 stones but the urso did. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.