I was diagnosed with gastritis, but could it possibly be something else?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello Everyone,

I would like to share my story with all of you; in hopes of maybe finding some helpful advice. I am a 24 year old female who has been experiencing a variety of stomach issues for the past 8 months. I was experiencing extreme nausea after eating, heartburn, belching, bloating, and black stool. Around the 4/5 month mark, I had an upper endoscopy and was diagnosed with gastritis. The doctor took biopsies and was able to rule out Celiac's disease, cancer, and H. pylori. I was prescribed omerprazole 40 mg and sucralfate. After taking these medications consistently for about two months straight, I haven't seen any improvement and symptoms seem to be getting worse. Now, my symptoms include tenderness/sharp pain where the stomach is located, pain radiating to the back, extreme nausea/bloating after eating, loss of appetite (there are also some days where I don't eat much just to avoid the pain), and constipation. My doctor now thinks I may also have IBS. He prescribed me dicyclamine and it was awful. It didn't help much with the symptoms and it made me very dizzy. I am doing whatever it takes to get to the bottom of this. If anyone is going through something similar, please feel free to share your story with me. I look forward to hearing from all of you soon. Thank you!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

I'm sorry that you're going through this.

I was experiencing night time nausea, bloating and heartburn a few months back and my GP diagnosed me with gastritis.

I have this constant upper abdominal discomfort which feels like some kind of dull pressure and it's uncomfortable.

I've been on medications for almost three months now and yet, no improvement.

I've been scheduled for an ultrasound soon so hopefully that'll rule out other conditions. I've already given up on coffee and trying to make diet changes too.

• Posted

Hi Tzumi,

Thank you for sharing! I just had a CT scan done and they haven't found anything wrong or abnormal in my abdomen. However, they have found a 5x5x5 dermoid cyst on my ovary, which is also leaning on my rectum. They believe that this is causing my bloating and gas, but they aren't too sure if it's causing my other symptoms. I personally believe it is. I am scheduling to have it removed, and I'm hoping my symptoms improve. Hope this was helpful!

• Posted

I'm glad you found the cause of your symptoms. For me, the ultrasound came back clear except for excess gas in the bowel. Could that be the cause of the discomfort? I'm trying to get tests done for h pylori and sibo if possible.

• Edited

Ask the doctor to change the medication or lower the dosage of your meds. The higher the dosage the more likely you will experience symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.