I was diagnosed with GERD and Esophagitis and now im freaking out because of Esophagus cancer...

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi...So i've was diagnosed with GERD and Esophagitis few months ago and now im freaking out because of esophagus cancer...Its not getting better especially because i wasnt perscribed any pills...My GP only told me to eat helty try to excercise and not to lie on the bed much and that was all...I still have troubles with swallowing as same as acid and food coming back...Any suggestion on what should i do...I was going through the internet and i find some tips and diet changes...What do you think?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You likely weren't prescribed any pills because your doctor is wise to the fact that PPI's only keep you on them forever, and if you stop, it is worse than before.  I know, as I was a slave to them for years on end.  I stopped again, yet still need to take rantinidine, usually twice a day.  If I am very careful, don't eat spicy food, chew well, which is tough for me, I do tend to eat fast, so I try to be conscious of that, but if you really need something, buy yourself some generic zantac, and also some good probiotics, if you can afford them.  Mostly it's just knowing your triggers for reflux, like spicy, dairy, bread, what have you, till you figure it out.  

• Posted

HUAAA for that Doctor, we need more like him. ;-0 Sure, he could have given you more details on the diet but we are all different so giving you a diet without knowing the details about your health is not to smart so another HUAAA fo your Doctor.  Many here go by what worked for another but in reality that all depends on medications you are taking or sensitivities (like gluten sensitivity) you might have. Sure, we all know the basic like not eating the last 2-4 hours before bed, getting a wedge pillow and eating 4-5 small meals instead of 3 large meals.  Supplements?  They help a little and then they run out just like everything else, so is not a good option but better than medications.  Try to keep the above 3 basic rules plus eat organic if you can pay the extra money. Try to stay away from antibiotics has much as you can, but sure their is some cases you have no option so you need to take them. ;-(  God bless!
  • Posted

Make an appointment with a gastroenterologist and get tested They can determine the condition of your esophagus, determine if you have reflux, how many events per or percent of the time you Haase reflux and they can determine whether the reflux is acidic, bile or digestive enzymes. You don’t have to and you shouldn’t take ppl longer than 8 to 12 weeks. The MD may say wou can take them forever but that’s not what the manufacturers recommends of the FDA approves. Be your own advocate and go and get diagnosed and tested.
  • Posted

PPIs only treat symtpoms, not the cause. The best solution is a Nissen fundiplication, a simple surgery that narrows the esophagous and creates an area of protection from reflux. I had it done and it saved my life, literally.  If you want to prevent esophagal cancer, eat normally, get your life back, consider it. It depends on your insurance, because in the US the health industry is about making money rather than promoting health. If your insurance will cover it, I recommend it highly. My surgery saved my life.   My surgery wasn't covered by my insurance and it costs $60k in the US, so I went to Spain and had it done for $6k.  Best health decision I ever made.

• Posted

Right, and then you have the mini fundoplication (TIF) which is a less invasive procedure which has a success rate of over 80% as well.  Not as good, but pretty close to the fundoplication.  I'm considering the TIF if it gets worse or I see no improvement.  Doctors already told me they will request if I like.  I only have mild reflux, but for some reason (maybe bile reflux) I also have mild barretts.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.