I was diagnosed with glandular fever 4 months ago. I am still exhausted.

Posted , 17 users are following.

I am still not able to go to work or drive or do household chores.  Does anyone have any advise?

I no longer have a sore throat, swollen glands, fever, enlarged liver or spleen.  I am 61 years old and am quite depressed that that the fatigue symptoms have not resolved. My doctor says this happens sometimes for older people, that it can take months to get my energy level back to normal.  

Is this what others have experienced?

Gerbear

2 likes, 220 replies

220 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi all. I was diagnosed with ebv and cmv in November 2015. It's been 6 months and I'm just now back to work half days. I'm still extremely tired yet still have insomnia. Never had anxiety prior to this illness...but that is slowly resolving. Lately very fatigued with dizziness and brain fog. This is too the hardest thing I have gone/going through. I've heard a year is what it usually takes for adults...I'm 45 single mother of two. Tough! Did anyone else have heart palpitations through all this?
    • Posted

I hear you Rolane. I too have had this illness for way too long and i have two young children too. It's very depressing but it's good to know we're not alone. I've been getting the odd heart palpitations too.
    • Posted

Aquino, were you diagnosed with ebv or cmv mononucleosis? I get really dizzy and brain fog still. Kinda like vertigo. I was diagnosed with pots that can show up after mono. Since my heart rate has been returning to normal as well as blood pressure slowly....do you have sleep issues?
    • Posted

So far just ebv but im currently waiting on test results for cmv. My brain fog has been the worst.. some days i feel like i'm in a dream all day.. really hard when you have to be alert when caring for children. My only sleep issues is that i wake up every morning very early while it's still dark and anxiety hits me like a train as soon as i open my eyes and i can never fall back to sleep. Thankfully no trouble getting to sleep.. just horrible anxiety every morning between 4-5am.

How about you?

• Posted

Aquin, terrible insomnia through entire virus. I finally had to start lunesta. I get some sleep now but yes on the early wake up. Terrible nightmares some nights too. This is horrible stuff. Keep me posted on cmv. It's going around her in schools. I live in Idaho.
    • Posted

Hi Rolane,  the heart palpitations I have had are most often a result of over exerting myself.  Like carrying the full laundry basket upstairs.  I am so weak that I have to have my husband do that type of chore.  

Even tho I am in my early 60ies I was always a very active person--working full time, member of a walking group, tending my garden and going camping.  Well, for now all of that is on hold.  I have not worked or done anything since the end of December 2015.

My father had mononucleosis in 2011 at the age of 80.  It took him 9 to 12 months to recover.  But the GOOD NEWS is that he did recover!  So us younger people will recover!  However, it takes a ton of rest.  I can't imagine have kids and trying to rest enough.  My sympathy goes out to you.

The insomnia I have is trying to fall asleep.  I have been sleeping in the guest room since I got mono because I was keeping my husband awake with my tossing and turning.

My doctor told me that rest is as important as sleep.  So I try to relaxe and be peaceful in my mind and body even when I cannot sleep.  I listen to music to help with that.  I know relaxing is easier said than done because I also, have unusual anxiety since I have had mono.

I also have the dizziness and brain fog with the fatigue.

• Posted

Hi Aquin and Rolane and everyone,

I tried to post a message earlier with a link to a healing video on You Tube which has helped me a lot but very disappointed to see that a moderator removed it. Not sure why they would do that perhaps they don't want people to be helped as much as we who are chatting here do.

However, just wanted to offer you all encouragement to let you know that I still firmly believe you will recover and get there. I can imagine how difficult it must be when having children and feel so wiped out all the time. It really is a life changing experience this illness when it gets a grip.

But the good thing is as much as it's debilitating, there definitely is recovery, there definitely is change and I really believe that you will get there in the end with it. Those medical / NHS type posts that say 4-6 weeks or 6-8 weeks are generally wrong for adults, it often takes much longer and a year seems to be a standard time for people to start to feel a bit more like themselves again. It will take time but keep the faith - you will get there!

Wishing everyone all the best

Craig

• Posted

Craig...thank you. It is lonely here but support groups like these help. Thanks for sharing the braking fog and dizziness I the worst! Keep in touch and let's tell ourselves we will be us again...it's a virus. ♡
  • Posted

Hello All,

I'm so happy we can share our experiences and keep in touch this way. It helps a lot to find people in the same boat because no one else in my life can fully understand. It's a lonely illness.

Gerbear, that's great news about your father. If he can beat it at 80 years old then i'm sure we all can too. Thanks for sharing that info.

Sorry to hear you guys are experiencing bad insomnia. That must be frustrating. I look forward to bed time because i don't have to deal with the bad symptoms anymore. Do you both experience "flare ups"? Good periods and bad periods?

Rolane I will let you know how the cmv test goes. I wont be getting my results back for a couple of weeks but i'd love to keep in contact here and update each other on our progress.

Craig, thanks again for taking the time to reassure us. I've been listening to guided meditation in the early mornings when my anxiety is the worst. I helps a lot.

I'm back to work today after having last month off. Fingers crossed it goes well. It's only 2 days a week thankfully. I'm in Australia by the way. How about you guys? Also i wanted to mention, i've also been frequenting the ehealth forums as they also have a mononucleosis page there with lots of conversations happening from people who have experienced the same situation as us. 

• Posted

Aquin...yes first good hours...bad hours...then good days bad days...now good weeks bad weeks. Just when I think I'm making gains...boom dizzy, nausea, and extreme fatigue. sad
    • Posted

That describes my experience EXACTLY! Good hours bad hours. I haven't had a good week in 8 weeks but even when i feel "better" I'm never 100%. There's always a lingering feeling of malaise. I get nauseous too.
    • Posted

I feel like i have had the flu with dizziness and nausea for 7 months....we will get better. Stay in touch. We in this together!
    • Posted

Rolane and Aquin,

You are both very welcome. I just wish I could do more to help. I don't want you guys to get discouraged because it's easy for that to happen when you see no change and feel the same day after day, week after week.

In the like of maybe someone who has a mental breakdown, sometimes in my own mind I liken glandular fever to a physical breakdown, where all of a sudden your body becomes unable to cope with the small things it was used to doing every day. This is one nasty virus and it is persistence it keeps trying, but it won't succeed in the end because it does get defeated and you do feel strong again - take it from me from someone who was in a very similar situation and for whom it went on for a long time too.

I still fully believe you with both recover, want you to know that I'm thinking about you. Ask God to help, watch some healing videos, these are the kind of things that have helped me. Maybe that's not for everyone I know, but it's my top recommendation definitely.

Keep in touch and let me know how you are both doing and remember to keep hope in your hearts that things will start to look up very soon.

Craig

• Posted

THANK YOU! Craig your words could not be more true. I keep goibg everyday and I know we will get better. Scary ride. Thanks a million ♡
    • Posted

Rolane and Aquin,

I have the same recovery you are describing.  There has been improvement,  but the daily exhaustion has not allowed me to go back to work yet.  I appreciate reading your posts.  It helps me to know I am not alone. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.