I was diagnosed with Graves disease 4 months ago with very high T4 levels.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have decided not to take medication for the time being and am trying to manage symptoms using herbal preparations, acupuncture, vitamins etc.  I have read on this forum that L-Carnitine and Vitamin D are helpful.  Is there anyone on this forum who has succeeded in stabilizing their T3, T4 levels without the help of Carbimazole or other prescribed meds?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

There was a lady, I am not sure if she posted to this Board or another one, but she said she was able to stabilize her values on 4,500 of Acetyl-L-Carnitine and avoidance of Aspartame containing foods and drinks. That is a fairly high dose for Acetyl-L-Carnitine but not for Regular L-Carnitine. The highest recommended dose for Acetyl-L-Carnitine is 2,000 mg. Acetyl-L-carnitine is more sensitive in restoring blood values. When taking Acetyl-L-Carnitine along with meds, I would not use more than 500 or 1,000 mg a day because the two together are stronger than either one of them alone.
  • Posted

Hi Kit, I appreciate that you don't want this thing to beat you, but please be careful as you might make yourself really sick by not taking the anti thyroid drugs.  Without the tablets, you are very unlikely to reduce all the extra thyroxine floating around in your bloodstream.  If your levels get too high you could end up with a thyroid storm which could be fatal.  I too hate the thought of having to take regular medication, but I truly believe there really is not a natural solution.  The Carnitine meds may alleviate some of your symptoms, but they won't cure it.  Please be careful.
  • Posted

Hi, after several years of poor health and even poorer health care I am now doing very well. I have been on/off Carb and beta blockers ( for severe heart symptoms ) I currently take 4500 mg of L Carnitine ( bought on eBay from hemansupple ) and

2000 mg fish oils along with 200 mg selenium.

I take no other meds and my heart rhythm is virtually normal -just the very odd minor flutter if I am seriously stressed. My blood pressure ( systolic was crazy ! ) is perfect, in fact it's slightly low. Had bloods done last week TSH 0.9 T4 17 T3 5.9. My levels are all near the top end of normal but the L Carnitine appears to be controlling things well. I started this on 28/01/14, at that stage I was in total despair, had fallen out with my incompetent Dr and was a wreck. Now have a lovely new GP and my life back. I was first diagnosed in October 2010 and it has been a total nightmare. All good now though. Hope this helps.

• Posted

I know this is an old post and you may not be here anymore Linnet, but can you tell me did you have both TPO and TSI antibodies and what was your diagnosis, just Graves?  I have both kinds and been bouncing around in blood levels and symptoms.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.