I was diagnosed with high of prolactin,what should I do

Posted , 4 users are following.

my name is Nene, I am 21years old,I find out that my prolactin is high of 227 .what should i to lowe it and does that mean that if i do not get cured well.I wont have children?Thank you

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I would make an appointment with an endocrinologist and an MRI so your doctor can see if you have a tumor on your pituitary gland.

• Posted

Nene, as you are new to this, may I amplify a little?

A tumour on your pituitary is

(a) NOT a brain tumour (it is in your skull but not in your brain. If it has to come out (fairly unlikely as prolactinoma responds well to drug treatment) the op is simple and almost painless, with no visible scarring

(b) not cancerous in 99.999% of cases.

If you ignore it, well since your pituitary (the size of a pea!) controls all the important hormones in your body, you will get unwell but very slowly and in all sorts of vague ways. Feeling tired all the time. Irritable. Ridged, peeling and brittle nails. Sleeping problems (restless legs, apnoea). Gradually going blind. Dying from a minor accident ("adrenal insufficiency"). Of course none of these are true today, they are consequences of an untreated and very large pituitary tumour, so best not to let them start.

Believe me, the cure is a LOT better than the disease.

• Posted

Hi, I agree with what the previous person put. You may have a small pituitory growth called a Prolactinoma which would show up on an mri scan. If you were found to have that there is medication which lowers the prolactin levels. I have a prolactinoma and had no issue conceiving. I currently take Quinagolide tablets and have had Cabergoline in the past. There are also other reasons for high prolactin. Have a look on the pituitory foundation website for more information. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.