I was given Trimethoprim tablets for a urinary infection...

Posted , 28 users are following.

I was given Trimethoprim tablets for a urinary infection, and then two days (4 doses) later my doctor changed them to CEFALEXIN following the results of a urinary test.

After the second dose, I began to feel even more ill than I already did, and was extremly nauseous, and actually vomited. It got worse and after the fifth dose I absolutely could not continue with them. Unfortunately it was a Sunday, so I hd to wait until the surgery opened on Monday to put this side effect to my doctor. At the time of writing I still haven't spoken to him.

The Trimethoprim was beginning to clear up the infection, and by the time of the second dose of Cefalexin, my urine looks clear and much healhier, so it has certainly done the trick, but it was such a horrible side effect (I've ended up losing 6lbs as could not eat, either!) that I think it's worth considering this before prescribing.

[i:20762a04bc]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:20762a04bc]

1 like, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Wen to doctor and he prescribed me nitrofurantoin. I have taken only one tablet last nightbut really make me so ill. I had high temperature and now having bad headache and very tired. But ive got to finish the course a tablet four times a day .....it's not really nice.will see if i feel better from this UTI.
  • Posted

I am currently on nitrofurantoin - infection started properly in the wee small hours of Saturday - the worst of pain and felt like I was peeing pure blood - then diarrhea started . Pretty grim. Was given trimethoprim later Saturday at Go to Doc - there was no way I was going to A&E in the middle of the night and sitting there waiting to be seen while needing to pee constantly. The GP told me to take my urine sample to my own GP on Monday morning because they had no facility to send it off on Saturday sad . On Tuesday evening having developed vaginal thrush in addition to the cystitis because of the antibiotics I got the results of the urine test which said that it was resistant to trimethoprim. So all it had done was give me thrush in addition to the cystitis. sad They then gave me the nitrofurantoin. I am not in pain or needing to wee as much but I feel exhausted -is that normal? I have been off work all week and still got the thrush. I pity all you poor things. It is grim.
  • Posted

I had all the symptoms and severe pain of a urinary infection but none showed up. My doc still prescibed Trimethoprim and I am on day 4 of a 7 day course of 200mg twice a day. Only symptom was feeling nauseous second day but that passed. I take them after food with a pint of water. But why give me the antibiotics when there is no infection? 
    • Posted

Hi Elizabeth.  I have been told that sometimes the infection doesn't show up, I'm not sure why.  Because I have suffererd  so frequently before my GP still prescribes antibiotics (trimethoprim) if I ask. If you have had infections before then this could be why.  Or maybe your symptoms were classic uti symptoms so he was happy to prescribe it.  Otherwise they send your sample away for analysis and make a decision on that.  However you'd have to wait a good few days and as most would relate when you have a uti then you need treatment now! Hope you are feeling better. 
  • Posted

I guess my hunch was right... I am in NZ and I have an urinary infection since Sunday afternoon (today is Tuesday). Yesterday I went to the Dr. and he prescribed me Trimetoprim. I am licensed in Pharmacy and in my country Trimetoprim is not the first option for that infections. I had a lot of urinary infections and the doctors never prescribed me that one. It has to be a reason... I taken 2 pills yesterday afternoon and by night I was feeling weird. I get up to eat something and then I was trembeling all over my body, pale like the wall and feelling really nauseous... I had to sit down and take a deep breath to calm down. This morning I felt no improvements, it seems like the antibiotic is having no effect. I am still feelling that burning and the discomfort in my bladder.

I guess if tomorrow I am not better, I'll go to the doctor again.

I use to have a lot of urinary infections and I do whatever I can to avoid that. Peeing after sex, cleaning from front to back , cotton underware, no tight clothing, no waiting too long to go to the bathroom, drink water and teas , and even take cranberry capsules when feeling discomfort. Nothing works. I guess the best way yo avoid that is became a nun! 

• Posted

I have had a UTI for the past 4 days now and been taking the Trimetoprim. But it does not seem to be making much change. I have stinging during and after wee'ing and a fair amount of discharge from the penis. It's really awful.

Even though I still have 3 days left on the tablets do you think I should go back to the doctors?

They have sent my urine sample off but told they will contact me if anything is found. I've been given 7 days on these tablets so not sure If I should just hold out or maybe go back??

• Posted

I also have been put on Trimethoprim and have got a really bitter taste in my mouth all the time... Is this normal?
    • Posted

It is the same for me.  But I had a horrid bitter taste in mouth, and nausea , before taking the pills, which is due to the kidney infection tht was caused by the other infection. So it might just be how you are, not a side effect.
  • Posted

Hi for help going for a wee whilst you have a uti a teaspoon of bicarbonate soda in a pint of water can ease the pain of urinating whilst waiting for anti biotics to kick in. I suffer constantly with utis its a side effect of my medication makes me more susceptible to the darn things ever since i was a little girl. And just drink loads of fluids flush out your system.
    • Posted

Hi. This is the first time I have had a uti. Came down with it on Monday with needing to wee constantly. By lunchtime I had blood in my urin, by dinner time I couldn't eat. Drank lots of water & Ural & seemed to be getting better. Went to doc who said give it another day or 2 & see if I can get rid of it on my own because I'm sensitive to antibiotics. Anyway Fri night I started having severe back pain and couldn't eat again &'was extremely nauseous so I started the antibiotics because I was scared the uti was going to my kidneys. Anyway that was two days ago. The first night I was lucky to get 4hrs sleep & last night I got none. Have you heard of this antibiotic causing insomnia and I have severe pain in my stomach & no appetite. I have only had 2 doses of 7. U think I should stop taking them? It is Sunday so I cant see my doc until tomorrow 😢 I just don't know what to do but don't want to feel this way. Thank you
    • Posted

Am taking the same thing and also have severe pain stomach, headache and no appetite.
  • Posted

I have sufferd urine infections for years and only last year went in for operaion the anibioticks CEFALEXIN are normaly a good pill to cure it unless you have been on them and your body becomes amund if i was the way you are exsplaing the way you feel and are suffering with your uti i would go up AE in your local hospital it is a nasty exsperiance to go through i got so bad 1 night with it in hospital i was unable to pass urine very very little i was walking up and down corridoor next thing doctor came gave me a injection knocked me out and i woke up on a drip for a few days
  • Posted

I was given Trimethoprim for a urine infection, it took a while to kick in but I had severe lower back pain, burning and abdominal pain.

After the 2nd day of a 3 day course I suddenly experienced it getting worse, everything was burning. I called the doctors, aware that I didn't want to be in A&E over my birthday weekend. She has switched me to a more 'stronger' antibiotic, so I am guessing this one is for people with less severe infections. I have now taken amoxicillin, fingers crossed it kicks in so I can get back to work!!

Quick tip to take the edge off, I had an Epsom salt bath which really helped smile

• Posted

HI ladies, ive just read all 26 replys, im sitting hear now with the burning even though im not on the loo so wondered if i have thrush as well as a UTI. Getting hot sweats and dreading going to the loo. Thing is when i go to the doctors 9 time s out of 10 although it feels like a full blown infection im always told no its clear. So im wondering what else can cause these symptoms if not an infection.

Im trying herbal treatments at the moment, urva Ursi and bucha, drinking aloe vera juice in between with lots of water.  I do actually have in front of me a packet of trimethoprim and im wondering should i take them, its not easy making an appointment to see gp as it is but i would like to know do i have an infection or not? Of course it has to be a bank holiday coming up doesn't so no doctors available Monday with a pile up on Tuesday. Ive also noticed that i have a feeling like a pressure in the bowels like i need to go as well but never amounts to anything. Anyone else tried alternative cures and found them to work.  Was thinking of buying some more waterful D mannose but if ive no infections its very exspensive and whats the point. used to take it years ago and then took one dose every evening as a precautionary only to discover it was this causing me to wake up with a throbbing sensation over my bladder!  Then i get told by my kenesiology that i was wasting my money as it wasnt doing me any good any way! So i dont know, but i do know id pay anything to get rid of this right now. Been years since i had it this bad.

Sue 

• Posted

I tried d mannose for uti last Sunday,  it made a very slight difference but not enough to rid me of infection , by Tuesday I needed to see doc since pain was bad. A simple urine test tells the doc if positive for infection or not - don't  understand why that hasnt been done for you- maybe get it done asap. Anyway, watch this space,  I am waiting on doc to call me back since I am on Trimethoprim and after 3 days not working so need to get it sorted. Not sure if you do or not,  but don't feel bad for questioning the docs. they don't always get it right and I will certainly be asking why Tri is still being prescribed!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.