I was never put on warfarin this time,

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had my first PE 42 years ago after a c section, and was on warfarin and blood testing for six months, I had another PE five weeks ago after surgery and this time put on rivaroxaban and don't have to have blood tests so I worry if this is just as effective as warfarin I was on heparin injections whilst in hospital.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I had my first dvt in calf 10 days after going on the pill nearly 20 years ago. Two years ago I had had a cough for a year before it turned into pe, followed by another dvt in upper leg. was on warfarin both times. Not heard of rivorabaxan. I have heard that a new medication came available instead of warfarin but don't know name. It does not require weekly blood testing. Hope you get on ok with this.

• Posted

Hi Dorothy

thats exactly the same as me... DVT multiple PE 12 years ago due to a number of triggers, long haul flight being one. Then in January 15 I was diagnosed with more multiple PE's. I was put on warfarin again but it hasn't been working and my INR dropped to 1.4 so I'm now on rivaroxaban...but I've no idea if it's going to be working. Been told by the Anticoag nurses that once I start it I'm 'Anticoagulated' but how do I know??? With warfarin I knew where I was...I knew it wasn't working but at least I knew it wasn't. I'm only 4 days in taking rivaroxaban so I have to give it a go but it's challenging me.

• Posted

Watch out for side effects with it, I was put on 15 mg twice a day but now after 3 weeks I am on 20 mg once a day,  they talked as though it had taken over from warfarin, but I don't think so, at least on warfarin I had my bloods taken every 2 weeks and tablets adjusted accordingly, just wondering if I will be offered a scan at the end of six months to see if it has dispersed, apparently it is your body's healing system that  gets rid of the clot, meds only thin your blood. I haven't been monitored since stating rivaroxaban.??
  • Posted

I didn't have a scan last time and told I won't this time either...which I find strange. 

Theyve told me I'll be on 30mg for 3 weeks and then 15mg. I'm due to fly to Egypt in 4 weeks so I have to hope it's going to work. In the last 12 years since my last clots I've had to inject heparin before a flight...now they've told me on rivaroxaban I won't need it...which again is a bit scary.

• Posted

I'm on 20 mg once a day now, I wondered if it was safe to fly or not, as I used to travel a lot now it worries me, I had heparin injections before and after my surgery, still didn't stop me getting a blood clot.
    • Posted

I went to see my GP as we wanted to go on a special holiday, a safari to Kenya.  He said I was medium risk of having a clot up to 7 hours flying.  Further than that it would be high risk. This would be even doing all the exercises on the plane, walking every half hour, and taking Aspirin before the flight.   After multiple clots in both lungs we decided it was not worth the risk, so are cruising again!  He did say that I had scar tissue on the lungs (permanent), so doubt if I will ever get to see the places on my wish list.  Have to make do with cruising or short haul flights.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.