I was prescribed Simvastatin (40mg) by my doctor because...

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was prescribed Simvastatin (40mg) by my doctor because my cholesterol levels were high, even though I have no other risk factors. I took one pill and in the morning found it difficult to wake up, my throat was bone dry, my speech was slow, I felt sick, dizzy and had no strength in my limbs - I could barely shuffle, let alone walk, and could not even dry my hair with a hairdryer. The previous day I had felt totally fit and healthy, even doing my usual 3 mile walk. I could not drive so my husband took me to the surgery. A friend was there and she was shocked at my condition. I saw a doctor who told me to stop taking Simvastatin and he prescribed cetirizine (an anti-histamine) to damp down the reaction. Even so he said it would take days for the statin to leave my bloodstream. Within 20 minutes of taking the cetirizine I began to feel better. Within an hour I was able to walk fairly normally, my head had cleared, strength had returned to my limbs, though I felt very tired. I am allergic to penicillin and wonder if this contributed to the problem, or whether the does was simply too high. Either way, it was a very frightening experience - I went overnight from being a fit, active person of 56 to a shuffling octagenarian.

[i:bd488638b5]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:bd488638b5]

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I too was prescribed Simvastatin (40mg) by my doctor because my cholesterol levels were high. Within a few days I had joint pain in the fingers and wrists, unexplained swellings in my arms and palms of my hands. My throat was also dry.

My doctor told me to stop and and these symtoms subsided over several days. A fortnight later I resumed the treatment and the problems returned. The pains in my hands were very similar to RSI pain and the swellings on my hands and arms felt like bruises, though there were no bruises visible. Most alarming however, was that this time I had severe swelling on the inside of my mouth and tongue. The side of my face was completely numb owing to the swelling.

I saw a doctor who told me to stop taking Simvastatin and prescribed an anti-histamine. I will not take Simvastatin again.

[i:cecf490b63]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:cecf490b63]

• Posted

i have just been given simvastain 40mg by doc for high cholesteral and after reading the side effects im really scared to take them but i no i need to to reduce my cholesteral .....scared of hackney....helpppp
  • Posted

My dad has been on this medication for some time now.  simvastatin damaged his kidneys severely. He is on dialysis now.  He had the same complaints but his doctor ignored the complaints.  And kept him on the same medication.   He is weak, can't swallow,can't stand or walk.   I'm so angry at that doctor. Thinking of talking to a lawyer.
  • Posted

hello to you all and wishing good health.

i was prescribed statins because my cholesterol was 7.3.  My mum died of heart failure during the night (aged 59 )  Iam 53yrs.  So the doctor has said I must go on these statins (never met the doctor - just pick up prescription).  I have been taking them for about 2 months now, and I wake up with my hands really stiff. They work after a few seconds or more. Surely that's not right?? 

• Posted

Nobody has to take statins;, whatever your GP says.

GP's are not too well informed about their benefits and potential side effects.

Why somebody should take them is all done by a Qrisk assessment dictated to by NICE.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.