I was recently prescribed Citalopram , does it get worse before better ?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Started on citalopram 3 weeks ago, 5 mg first week,10 mg the past 2 weeks . i have never been on any meds for anxiety or depression . My problem is intrusive thoughts that create high anxiety . I dont know if I have Ocd or what condition I have . Very frustrated !! One therapist said , high anxiety and ptsd , another said anxiety , yet another said ocd .

I feel for anyone suffering from this crap .

My question s does this drug get worse before it helps ?

I feel like my days were a bit better the second week when the dose was upped but now I'm crying everyday , seems like my mind keeps creating awful thoughts .

So i have to wonder if the meds are making my problem worse ?

0 likes, 166 replies

166 Replies

Next
  • Edited

They will make you worse before better! I had horrible side effects for at least 6 weeks and have got them again as ive recently increased x

• Posted

Oh that's my fear , guess I'll keep taking the meds , hope for the best .

Thanks!

• Edited

yeah they can make you a lot worse before better. my advice would be keep a diary of how you feel each day so you can check for any progress. as it's so slow improving at first. you need to give each dose 8-12 weeks. some people see a massive improvement before some people after.

just keep going. you should start seeing some little improvements by week 6-8. some people are even back to normal by then. I'm one of the unlucky ones and take months to see improvements.

also a lot of anxiety disorders have a lot of the same symptoms. so it is hard to tell.

you will get there x

lucky you are on the first time taking a med it seems to work faster the first time and not as hard to handle too x

• Posted

Thank you so much for the encouragement that i need to keep taking the meds .

And you're right , I am very fortunate to be taking meds for the first time at my age . I have adult children and young grandchildren that I pray will never experience anything like this ,

I was hoping for a quick fix but I guess ill

have to be patient which had never been one of my strong suits .

God bless you , hope you have a wonderful day !

• Edited

I did find 10mg made my anxiety worse so dropped to 5mg, but was previously on citalopram briefly and stopped because made my hair fall out and swapped to sertraline, which then gave me OCD type symptoms, so have chopped and changed a bit. My intrusive thoughts centre on thoughts may have harmed someone, therapist I saw said those types thoughts often linked to PTSD. Husband nearly died 4 years ago so maybe linked to that. The self help books all tell you to just accept they are thoughts but not that simple I know. Distraction helps but difficult to put into practice with so many limitation at the moment.

• Posted

Thank you for replying and reading your post helps since I have similar issues .

I can relate to self help books , easier said than done to accept that they're just thoughts 😦

and not sure if I want to continue taking citalopram , that's terrible that you had hair loss from taking that med !!

I so agree that distraction is tough right now and it defintely can help , need to make myself go outside and enjoy the sunshine instead of lying on the couch over thinking all the time!

God bless ❤

• Edited

I'm using shampoo with collagen this time in case affects my hair again. It's worth carrying on with it fir a while longer it is recommended for helping with OCD? The sertraline was awful it's much better than that, 'm only 3 weeks in like you. I have just started seeing a psychotherapist who is helping I think, the books ae OK but not easy to put into practice. Think all meds take while to start helping. I know that feeling not wanting to go out don't beat yourself up couple weeks ago I couldnt go out but this wwek improved a bit. It seems very up and down ride but give the citalopram a while longer.

• Posted

Hearing this helps alot , thanks for posting!

I've been afraid of taking anything for this prob

but knew I had to do something .

Glad your therapist is helping and hope you continue to improve !

Taking your advice and give the citalopram a little longer , praying it works ! Supposed to see the doc later next week to discuss any progress.

I' ll pay close attention to my hair too , thanks so much for letting me know .

• Edited

Iwas reluctant to try any other meds too as zopiclone withdrawal caused all this but struggled for 8 months waiting for things to improve doing nothing , but that didnt work so figure it's worth a try. Only seems affect few peoples hair so wouldnt worry, and the shampoo with collagen does help and hopefully if happens again will gradually ease. Think they all seem have some sort of side effect . It does seem from what other have said you need to give them about 3 months sonetimes to really start kicking in . It is difficult Iknow you get impatient to start feeling better but i do think the current situation is making us with anxiety feel worse.

• Posted

I'm glad I'm not the only one that was reluctant to trying meds , helps so much to hear that it can get better .

Just in an awful space right now and the fact that I'm a very sensitive person isn't helping. .

Hate being whiny , just seems like the meds are making things worse at the moment .

I'll stick with it because like you said it does take time .

So encouraging you are!

Stay well ❤

• Edited

You aren't whiny no different to the rest of us. All bit trial and error, I'm wondering when to increase the dose as think I need to get up to 10mg to get rid of the thoughts think maybe I'll try in about 3 weeks go up to 7 then 10. The thoughts are still awful when I go out but I do want to actually try and go out, and my husband thinks my mood definitely lifted. Think any improvement is very subtle so you almost aren't aware of it. They are threatening to stop anybody exercising outside over here, as had crowds ignoring the distancing rules this weekend in the parks. That would really push me over edge as desperately trying get out. I went through spell of crying all the time it does go off trust me!

• Posted

Oh wow, hoping they don't go to extremes.

its so nice out and I can see how that would be quite distressing to not be allowed to exercise, jog etc .

Hoping people will follow the social distancing rules so it doesn't come to that '

My thoughts are still awful too , makes me cry then I get mad because its so difficult to understand what's going on or why . But none of it makes sense !! Ahhh , so frustrating but that's anxiety i suppose .

Hope the dosage increase in your meds help , your hubby sees an improvement , that's fantastic !!

Blessings , stay well ❤

• Edited

Think there would be riots in the street, already talk in papers that some of the measures too extreme. Yes the thoughts are awful, didnt find books helped Iunderstand it's due to anxiety and that they are just thoughts and no quick fix but letting them go very hard. Be good to hear how long it took other people before thoughts eased. I'll give it few more weeks before i increase. The current situation doesnt help especially as no idea how long restrictions be in place. Hope you soon feel bit better.

• Posted

I wonder as well about how long it took for other people's thoughts to ease . That would be great to know !

You're so right about books and it being so hard to let the thoughts go . I've googled , researched and there isn't a quick fix, wish there was such a thing ! But there is hope and faith that the meds will work . Just so difficult

waiting it out .

Hopefully the restrictions will be lifted soon when things calm down .

Something that I remember a minister saying years ago is that tough tines never last but tough people do !❤

Hoping you feel much better soon!

• Edited

Yes would be helpful to know if meds did eventually stop the thoughts for others as worry be stuck in this loop forever. Did post question to Katiecogs in another post as know she posts a lot but it's being moderated for some reason. I don't google about thought and OCD too much now in some ways just make you more aware of them. Had them for over a year gradually got worse so not going go overnight. I just get some bored at moment with all limitations gives me too much time to think . Hope you soon improve.

• Posted

Yep i have to stop googling , it does make things worse ,

You are the second person that told me that besides my husband . I'm stubborn and think I can find the problem and fix it , Nope 😦

I do have another question for you ,

Do you take the citalopram in the a.m. or later in the day ?

I dont know that it matters its just that I realized this morning that my mind is calmer and I haven't taken the meds yet.

Seems that when i take it early in the day it makes me very anxious and ofcourse the thoughts are harder to control .

This could all be in my head , the meds could actually be starting to work after 3 weeks but then i dont want that dreadful feeling . hmmm, what to do .

Also,

I've read Katiecogs posts as well , she offers great info.

Okay enough about me !

How are you feeling ?

Hope your day goes better .

• Edited

Katie cogs hasn't replied to post maybe she doesnt dip in anymore.. Would be interesting to hear how long it took others thoughts to improve though. I must admit do still google sometimes just see if anything else others do to improve things or what I'm doing wrong.. Am seeing psychotherapist but via skype now so not quite the same, the books did nothing for me although some find them helpful i know, think therapy better as she's trying get to the root of what causing the anxiety. I take them after my dinner in the evening was thinking of swapping to morning but maybe not after what you said! Seems common theme that most people find mornings are worse anxiety wise. Just getting so bored with these restrictions maybe sign improvon a bit but would be helpful to know how long to leave it before increasing. Hope things improve for you too.

• Posted

I think I will start taking the meds after dinner and I hope i didn't share too much about taking meds in the morning 😦

You are most likely correct that anxiety is worse in the mornings and has nothing to do with the meds .

My sister takes her meds at night , says it helps her sleep.

So glad to hear that therapy is helping you!

I haven't asked my therapist how long its taken people to stop having the thoughts or at the very least ease up but i think that's a question

inquiring minds would like to know 😃

Would your doctor or therapist help with deciding when to up your meds ?

I'm still on 10 mgs. and i think I''m feeling some improvement .

Stay well , better days soon ❤

• Edited

No it's better to know they don't improve things in mornings. When I took it first time took it in morning and affected my sleep so swapped to evenings and sleep not too bad.

Doctor useless he said go up to 20mg and encouraged me to swap meds which has made the thoughts even worse by messing around with different meds. I think if 10mg is helping stay on that, just think 5 is probably too low long term as 10 seems to be normal starting dose.

Some doctors seem keep getting people to keep upping the dose rather than giving it time to work. As I'm bit older recommended maximum dose is 20 anyway. I've only seen therapist twice so haven't got to that stage!

• Posted

Yeah me too on the therapist .

Only 2 sessions so far ..

My doc isnt really concerned or so it seems . I can relate .

I'm a bit older as well and i read that 20 mg is the max dose . Hopefully you'll gradually increase your dose and feel the improvement!

As far as taking meds in the morning , i may be feeling more anxiety after taking citalopram , drinking coffee and smoking , need to cut back or quit I know 😦 I will say that i didnt feel as anxious this morning , thank God , even with caffeine / cigs . so it could be a combo of things .

Did give up cocktails, switched to herbal tea , less calories i suppose 😃

So you may decide to take meds in the morning , may not affect you adversely at all .

• Posted

How did you feel when you upped dose. Am thinking of increasing in week or so to 7mg as although helping mood a bit nit really helping with thoughts need something bit higher. Igave up coffe few years ago as had real sleep problems drink something called Barley Cup. Don't drink either but at times have felt like starting.!!! Quitting smoking can be pretty hard so I've heard case of deciding when is best time to do it. I'll stick with meds in the evening especially as thinking upping dose as seems whenever change things can cause anxiety to spike!! My husband was a smoker was in hospital a month after heart attack but thankfully managed to stop after that and doesn't crave them at all now bit drastic way to do it though!

• Posted

I felt a little better at 5 mg for the first week , not much though .

Upped to 10 the 2nd week , anxiety and thoughts were terrible , lots of crying and fear that I was never going to get better .

I think that I was frustrated too because my sister said she felt better within 3 days when she started on meds . So that was probably a factor and not just upping the meds.

Anyway , now 3.5 weeks I'm finally seeing some

improvement !! Thank God! Had a good day yesterday , thoughts eased and really did not bother me until later in the evening but i was able to stop worrying about it and sleep .

Glad your husband was able to quit smoking , sad he had a heart attack but its good hes doing well now and doesnt muss the stinky things !!

Hopefully my husband and I can quit smoking , they are expensive and bad for ones health 😦

• Edited

Glad it's easing for you I've had thoughts for over a year due to zopiclone withdrawal, so think really 5 mg not enough will obviously take a while , do think intrusive thoughts maybe need slightly higher dose. Will maybe try 7 see how I go. Yes he had cardiac arrest and heart attack at home out the blue, had 3 ambulances here, nearly died, think that partly caused the anxiety, also got clot on the lungs and pneumonia in hospital. He tried several times over the years to quit smoking think he maybe went through the withdrawal while in hospital. Been painting out summerhouse today and lovely weather so helped being busy.

• Posted

Thanks and weather is beautiful here as well !

So glad you've been outside enjoying the day and painting too ! Great way to stay busy and i think that most definitely helps , I'm trying to organize closets today , , too much stuff!

So glad your husband is doing well .

I'm sure it was difficult for you , the worry and anxiety but that would be normal given the circumstances.

Hopefully , you'll see even more improvement soon and i like you think it takes a higher dose for intrusive thoughts .

When and how much to increase is the question , think ill ask my doc if i can increase to 15 mg 3 times a week and 10 the other 4 .

Thats my sister's dosage on Lexapro , works great for her .

• Edited

Think it's a case of finding a dose that works for you and sticking with it. I'm quite sensitive to meds so hopefully 10mg will do the trick. I couldn't hack sertraline it was awful they all seem to be different. Your sister was very unusual for them to work so quickly so don't get despondent if you aren't the same, most people seem to take several weeks. The nice weather does help don't mind just sitting in garden if weather sunny. Taken 7 mg tonight see how it goes bit hit and miss cutting them up as they are so small.

• Posted

I agree with you on finding the right dosage ,my doc upped mine from 10-20 mg . Start that tomorrow i suppose since I had a good day yesterday but not so much today . I guess the meds are starting to work , having never taken before so its hard to know really .

Thanks for the encouragement , trying not to get despondent and impatient.

My sister is probably one of very few people that the meds worked so quickly .

Hope the 7 mg works for you and days get better and better !! Enjoy the sunny weather

and you're right , those are tiny pills!!

• Edited

Think just case being prepared that might make you feel worse initially doubling the dose. Hoping if Ido it gradually rather than doubling will lessen the side effects. Everyone seems different lot people seem to take up to 3 months to improve, your sister was definitely the exception I think. The current situation not helping, finding hard get on line delivery this week so might have send husband out with list. Difficult to plan any sort menus as never know what you will be able to get. Hope you get on OK with increased dose.

• Posted

Like you and your husband we're trying to do food shopping online , hard to plan menus , so right you are !

How did the 7 mg work ? hope you're starting to feel better .

I am nervous about upping the meds ,

Oh what to do but i guess I"ll try .

Sister takes lexapro for anxiety , was on prozac for years .

I told my doc 2 weeks ago that the therapist said I wasnt depressed , high anxiety with intrusive thoughts , maybe OCD, maybe not . Also asked if I was on the correct medicine for my problem .

I only received a call back from doc's office telling me to keep taking the meds i had been prescribed . Seems they dont really listen 😦

Hope your day is going well 😃

• Edited

Doctors useless, when told mine it was due to zopiclone withdrawal sent me to place full of drug addicts and alcholics. You sound very similar to me. My mood had definitely lifted bit but can't get rid of the damned thoughts and OCD type symptoms pity no one else said when they start to improve.. Therapist thought could be due to low self esteem, have a really toxic mother always favoured my sister cut me out of most stuff.

Took the 7.5 last night see how it goes think any improvement take a while also seem can make you worse at first. Think only way is to try higher meds can always drop back down again?

• Posted

Oh wow, you and I definitely have similarities .

My mother was and is still toxic even at her advanced age . She will never take accountability , always my fault .

Sounds like you can relate .

And i am still having a tough time with the awful thoughts , i absolutely hate it !!!

Like you, my mood has lifted but not the ocd like crap !!

So sorry you were sent to a place that didnt help you , very poor judgement from your doctor !!

My doc is really not doing a great job at the moment , i know theres alot going on in the world but kinda feel like my doc just thinks" I'll get over it"

oh it were only that easy, right?

You're easing into increasing your dosage , thats

smart !

i havent taken my new dose of 20 mg yet , i guess ill take it in a bit .

Like you said , can always drop back down to lower dose .

Hope the thoughts go away or at least ease up for you and me ❤

• Posted

That sounds familiar, my sister and I weren't on speaking terms for a while but Mother refused to go to my son's wedding unless she came, ruined the whole day I hated it, think she is at the root of lot of the anxiety, she's 95 but still a really nasty person!!!

Yes just wish the thoughts would go hate feeling like this, will have see if any old posts give clue as to when they improve, husband gets cross with me sometimes, just hoping increasing dose will help.

CBT was useless and although I can see what the book was saying not as easy as it makes out to deal with things.

Think therapy will help but all the time this corona stuff going on probably not as useful as normal. Can't get any online delivery this week so husband being sent off with a list. He's very good have to queue up to get in then it's one way throughout the supermarket. Good luck with the new dose ;}

• Posted

Oh my goodness, your Mother and mine are so much alike , yours at 95 , mine will be 91 in June , they could be sisters !! Kidding ofcourse but i bet they would get along great , sigh ...sounds like they share the selfish trait .

Sorry your mom ruined your son's wedding day , my mom has done her share of manipulating things to get her way , its so hard to deal with her . My sister doesnt speak to her , says it causes her so much anxiety so im with you , our Moms contributed to our anxiety !

Hope your husband gets in and out of the market with things you need , mine went to pickup , only a few things were in stock , still no toilet paper! we still have some and kleenex , oh welll , thats too much information:(

I havent found cbt books of any help either, so frustrating !!!!

Bet your husband is like mine , probably a bit tired of being shut in and doesn't mean to be cross or short with us .

Hopefully we'll both improve soon ❤

• Posted

She's always made obvious my sister the favourite even though she emigrated to OZ over 20 years ago. Just made me feel I'm invisible She had minor stroke few years ago sitting in A& E with her for hours kept calling me by my sisters name nearly slapped her.

Husband has been very good but normaly he can go out lot more but only meant go out for exercise once a day now. Because of this OCD normally go with him niw. Was looking up old posts and Katecogs said took her about 3 months before thoughts started improving. Meds are doing something as few weeks ago was in tears a lot and didnt want to see people or eat anything. Now desperate see people and appetite come back.

• Posted

Oh your Mother sounds soooo difficult !! You were so kind to sit with her in the hospital and maintain your composure , you need to give yourself a pat on the back for that kind deed !

Its uncanny that our mother's are so alike so i totally understand how you feel .

My mother is still a meddler , oh the stories i could tell you !! Quick one . She actually pursued a relationship with an ex of mine years ago. So embarrassing !!!! He showed me the letters she had written to him .

When I asked her about it she denied writing the letters . Oh wow , just wow !!

Whew, exasperating !!!!!

Sounds like you're having some improvement ,

fantastic !

Maybe it wont be too much longer before we can all get back to normal , go to dinner , see family and friends . Will miss Easter at church , have to watch it online or tv. I know my husband is a little bored , I'm bet yours is feeling that way as well but at least the weather is gorgeous!

oh and thanks for info from the posts , 3 mths sounds so long but maybe they'll be lessened along the way and completely go away by 3 mths . !

Took the 20 mg dose , lunchtime today , was so sleepy for a few hours .

Feeling a bit lighter and better tonight , see how it goes .

So glad you're seeing improvement ❤

• Posted

Wow she sounds like real nightmare. Think it's all secrets and excluding me that hurts. Told my husband tthat my sister had left her husband not me and that wasn't until 3 years after it happened. Also she rents out her house as she's in a home, didn't want me involved but happy for my sister to deal with managing agents deal with her financial affairs even though lives other side of world.

Jus wish thoughts would ease up makes going out walking past people hard, and husband gets frustrated with me. Had quite stressy dream last night about all this corona stuff maybe it's higher dose kicking in. Yes had firgotten it was Easter as every day the same at moment. Hope you get on OK with the 20 and we both see improvement soon.

• Posted

Hope so least not in tears all the time am getting really bored with all the restrictions!

• Posted

we are all bored from this crisis.you will improve with time.but i know what you mean?

• Posted

Yes she can be , its been very challenging over the years .

I see her occasionally but set boundaries .

Your Mother sounds very controlling as well , I can relate .

I' m with you on the thoughts , oh how I want them to go away ! Think mine are easing up slowly but i still feel tense and worried at times ,

oh it just stinks !! Corona crap doesn't help , oh be wonderful when that situation is over .

So nice communicating with you, its helped me a great deal.

Maybe we'll both soon improve and can enjoy the simple things in life !

Did you increase your dose?

may have to start taking mine in the evenings, I was so sleepy all afternoon yesterday . Talk about a couch potato 😃

• Edited

Don't see mine that often now used be every week had years of her telling me she just wants to die. Took 7.5 mg last couple nights, yes if it makes you sleepy might be a good thing at night. Have noticed a slight shift, do still get these stupid thoughts going past people but tend to be OK once I've got home now . Few weeks ago didnt want to go out the house so trying to tell myself little steps! My mood has definitely improved so hoping anxiety will go down then the thoughts lessen. The corona stuff doesnt't help think we'll have restrictions until end of May judging by what China had. For several weeks hardly eat anything so meds must be doing something as keep feeling hungry. Hope you don't get any side effects from increasing the dose anyway

• Posted

Hope restrictions let up sooner than later .Will be a blessing when Corona stuff is over . They say warmer temps should help .

I dont see my Mom very often either. . We cant seem to get along more than an hour or so before she starts on something negative .Then i know its time to leave and not get into it with her cuz she aiways has to have the last word .

Whew, exhausting !!!

So glad you're feeling a shift for the better , meds must be working !

Im not feeling side effects from upping dose other than being a little sleepy , so far so good , thank God .

Starting to feel a little more like myself at times ,

hoping things keep getter better for you and me !!

• Posted

just going by what happened in China as their restriction started 23Jan only just li fted, like you hope will be lifted sooner. Didnt have very good night woke about 3am had heartburn imagining all sort things! I do have IBs and previously when on cit did get odd flare up and heartburn sometimes with it plus hayfever bad at moment. Maybe increase in dose Ido feel tired all the time think maybe it's because doing lot more sitting around even though go for walk every day.

Good you aren't getting any side effects from increased dose, think I'm quite sensitive to meds . Just wish thoughts would lessen do think the current situation making things worse as every day the same no distractions.

• Posted

Having a major blip today thoughts really bad. Do get very frustrated had few days when i was feeling really positive now almost back to square one. Whether it's because I slightly increased dose I know people say can increase symptoms if you change dose so maybe something have to get through in order to improve. Just think need to be higher than 5mg for long term improvement such lot trial and error. Just can't seem to change my reaction to the thoughts at moment. Hope you are having a better day!

• Posted

Just saw this , usually get an email .

Hate that you're having a rough time with those blasted thoughts ! I know exactly how you feel , try to remind myself its the anxiety , that helps sometimes.

I did feel a bit more anxious last night, ugghhh!!! probably from upping the dose .doc did prescribe anti anxiety med ,hydroxyzine .

Not addictive and it definitely helps me sleep and curbs anxiety a bit during the day .

Wish there was a pill that we could take to get rid of those stupid thoughts and thats exactly what they are !

Hope your day gets better , maybe your doc could prescribe something to ease anxiety while the other med starts to kick in ?

• Posted

EHave tried to get that also diazapam just to help short term doctor won't give me anything their answer just to wack up dose. Frustrating when was feeling bit better. Think it's probably upping dose, but feel i do need to be on slightly higher dose. Do everything meant to by exposing myself to triggers but doesnt seem to help. Hope you are OK?

• Posted

So sorry , its such a sucky thing to have to go through 😦 Dont understand docs not prescribing anything but i get it . Asked mine a couple weeks ago if I was taking the right anti depressant , since Im not depressed but high anxiety with intrusive thoughts.. Pretty much said the same as your doc .Did up the hydroxyzine though .

I'm having a bit of 2 steps forward , 2 steps back," and certainly know how you feel , it is distressing .

But think the meds are working , just seem to take so long .

Stay well and feel better soon.❤

• Posted

No my doctors very unhelpful. Citalopram is recommended for OCD so hoping will start working soon. Nothing Ido seems to help CBt was useless. Even though it was pretty rubbish day definitely didnt feel quite so panicky as few weeks ago. Think it's case have to put up with symptoms and hope for the best. Hope you continue to improve.

• Posted

Yeah I'm realizing how docs can be dismissive and seem unconcerned . Just take your meds they say , give it time to work etc..

i haven't tried cbt , just talk therapy .

Good to know that citalopram is recommended

for OCD . I guess the intrusive thought problem is a symptom of OCD ?Whatever it is i just hate it , i know you do as well . Just ruins the entire day sometimes and when i do get a break from the thoughts i think how absolutely ridiculous and why in the world would I have such a thought .

Trying not to do the latter , just try and enjoy the peaceful time . Hope that made sense ,

Yes I guess we'll have to put up with the meds and symptoms , praying they work sooner than later.

Hope your day is much better tomorrow 😃

• Posted

Read something that actually makes sense regarding the lengthy time it takes meds to work .

Said to think of it as having a fridge full of food and that you have to consume the food, even the junk food which isnt necessarily good for you , but you dont want to be wasteful andthrow it out . So it takes time and is a process similar to taking meds in that it takes time for the meds to work .

Kinda makes sense but do wish there was a better , quicker way to get over this crap and feel better .

• Posted

Thanks only had the OCD type symptoms since i took the sertraline think it triggered it. The CBt just tells you to expose yourself to things that triggers the thoughts and theory is they will lessen, been doing it fir months no change. Do think the the therapy will help but current situation doesnt help. Rationally I know what I thinking isn't true have keep checking things. Husband says bran doesnt believe what my eyes are seeing just about sums it up.

• Posted

Sorry the other med gave ocd type symptoms , that stinks !!

And current situation isnt helping , hard keeping mind off things staying at home and not seeing others or getting out and about .

I'm hoping the meds really start working, like you , i dont know if cbt will help or not .

Your hubby's theory is interesting ...

I think my brain has been in overdrive , always been an overthinker , that probably isnt helping me get over this crap !

maybe tomorrow will be a better day .

Taking citalopram for a mth now ... how long has it been for you , if you dont mind me asking ?

i sure hope we both have huge improvements soon !! Think Im a little better but not as much as I hoped .

• Edited

Not quite as bad as yesterday. Think with current situation probably going take bit longer for meds to work. CBT didnt work for me as I say main theory is you expose yourself to triggers or try cut down on compulsions and anxiety will eases, could be because mine is caused by zopiclone and then sertraline withdrawal so a chemically induced thing it didnt help me. Same with the books i understand how anxiety causes the thoughts but doesnt help me cope with it but they help some people. How are you doing on higher dose. I'm just over 4 weeks on the cit will think about increasing to 10 in another week or so.

• Posted

Glad your day is going some better , i guess its one day at a time .

Shame that the other meds worsened your problems hopefully see more improvement when your dose in increased a bit .

I too have been on cit for a mth , today actually .

First week 5 mg., 2.5 weeks on 10 mg and now day 4 on the 20 mg..

I noticed a big difference this morning and my husband said he can see a change too( for the better!!

Had some increase in unpleasant anxiety when the dose was upped and sleepy otherwise not too bad .

Think going from 10-20 mg has made a difference but it could be that its been in my system for a mth and starting to work.thank God !!

You're smart to increase your dose slowly ,

its going to work !! wish it didnt take so long ,

these last few weeks almost seem like a blur ,

but better days are on the way!!

• Posted

Glad things are improving for you. Think the fact I went from citalopram to sertraline then back to citalopram probably messed me up a bit, stupid doctor encouraged me to to swap around. Even tried to get me on escitalopram which is a stronger version of citalopram! Husband been snapping at me a lot today this enforced "togetherness" taking it's toll a bit he can usually escape for a bit! Do get bit despondent as not seeing lot progress yet good higher dose not causing you any problems anyway!

• Posted

Thanks , hoping things start to get much better for you 😃

Do feel better , still have stupid thoughts , not as frequently and able to push out of my mind when i do have , concentration a little better , seeing improvements overall but not 100 % yet ,

My hubs was a little distant yesterday , your hubby , like mine , is probably just getting bored and a little grumpy from being at home all the time .

Docs should be more careful about prescribing drugs , googled escitalopram a couple weeks ago . Youre absoluteky right Much stronger.

Thats what my sister takes , lexapro she says but probably taking the generic version.

I bet when you up yours a bit you'll see and feel a change for the better .

Kinda like baby steps , have to see how it works before jumping

• Posted

Might try upping it end next week if not too bad. Think got too much time to think at moment and each day the same so can't even try to get back to living a "normal" life again. Trying to get on line shopping nightmare couldn't get slot last week at all. Still get really jumpy going past people so thoughts haven't really eased just praying meds will eventually kick in. Didn't really get any response to asking how increasing dose affected others bit disappointing. Yes think read somewhere the escitalopram is twice as strong as citalopram he tried get me to take 20mg citalopram pretty clueless. Shouldn't moan about husband has been doing all the supermarket shopping but snapping at me doesnt help!

• Posted

No he shouldnt be snapping at you , mine does the shopping too these days but if he gets snippy I either get snippy back or go pout until he apologizes !

It is hard staying home all the time , trying to keep mind off things but not much to do is a challenge .

Oh i so hope and pray that the meds will start helping you . I completely understand how you feel , its really hard to deal with :-i really think when my dose was upped a few days ago things started getting better .

I've researched too trying to get answers to upping dosage , best time to take meds etc .

Seem to get lots of different opinions , answers .

I felt no difference on 5 mg . . i think my anxiety was so out the roof that i needed more . I wish your doc could prescribe some anti anxiety med to help with upping your dosage on cit .

Do you exoerience tummy probs from the meds? I dont have any that some people mentioned like nausea etc ?

• Posted

What time of day do you take them now i know you said first thing mad you more anxious. Only not been sleeping well wondering if i should swap to taking at lunchtime. Also been going out for walk first thing so swapping to going out in afternoon might make me more tired by bedtime hopefully. Husband not good getting up in mornings as doesnt sleep well so might make him less snappy

• Posted

Felt really nauseous first time round but OK this time, do sometimes get flare up of my IBS?Is the hydroxyzine helping?

• Posted

CDecided to bite the bullet and take 10mg tablet just taken it ,time is 12.30 miday here see if makes any difference. zJust getting really depressed not helping the thoughts/ocd at all, even might mood not good now. Do despair things ever improving at moment. zHope you are doing better

• Posted

Oh i do wish you could get your doc to prescribe at least hydroxyzine to help with the anxiety.

it definitely helps me , calming and sleep is good.

Think maybe you could convince doc?

Hope the imcreased dose kicks in and helps soon.

I'm doing better , have random thoughts at times but able to push away , poo poo on them

so to speak .

Feels odd not to be allowed to go to church on Easter Sunday , do wish restricti

• Posted

would ease up .

My comment posted before i finished .

Still taking cit around lunchtime , want to switch to bedtime since it makes me sleepy .

Do hope and pray you see improvement very soon .

• Posted

Thank you pointless going to doctor tried before, at moment appointments only over the phone except for emergencies coz corona, trued several times get something.. Hoping the 10mg will help have been sleeping really badly last few nights so will see how taking it earlier .Just getting bit despondent at moment good that you are improving anyway.

• Posted

Just stinks that your doc wont help !!

I wonder is there any otc med that would help ?

Something that wouldn't interfere with the cit ofcourse .

Think I'll check posts on how others are coping , with or without hydroxyzine or other meds .maybe they'll be of help .

Can't be easy 😦

Try not to get despondent , better days are coming ❤

Baked a cake yesterday ,, never eat many sweets but hubby complaining that I'm too thin .might as well eat cake !!! Must be the meds , appetite has increased .

• Posted

Got really p****d off when wouldn't give me hydroxyzine only an anti histamine, doctor I saw said try doing park run eating healthily got no idea clueless, I'm a UK size 10 so not exactly overweight. I went several weeks not eating much, most time got my appetite back, went for long walk this afternoon and do feel tiredish now so hopefully sleep better. It's the awful OCD checking thing, have googled see if anything I can do will help it hoping the higher dose will help. Don't know how quickly it acts but thought maybe you get more benefit if take it during day. Someone did say meds probably won't work as well as normal because of high stress situation we are in.

• Posted

No you are definitely not overweight ,size 10 UK is a US sz 6, correct ?so small you are !

I'm about the same as you , usually a 4/6.US

Did drop lbs while on keto like diet last year , lost a little too much ,O/2 size , hubs complained so i went back up a few lbs .

He thinks that diet contributed to the chemical imbalance or whatever is going on with me Who knows???

Be nice if we could just eat all the carbs we want and get better without an antidepressant right? If it were only that simple ,sigh ....

Still taking my dose around lunchtime , want to change to evening but dont want to get off cycle just yet . Maybe wait til things are going much better before changing .

Yes your doc sounds a bi t unconcerned , similar to mine 😦 guess they leave it up to us to figure it out 😦

There's probably alot of great doctors just not easy to find .

Glad you had a good walk , read where that helps push the meds in your system so exercise cant hurt, i get lazy from the meds , i

need to get off the couch !

Current situation most certainly not helping .

Trying to focus on getting better but its not easy staying home without much to do to keep mind busy on other things .

So it has to get better !!!

By the way , are you on facebook ?

Be a nice way to communicate on that site or fb messenger .

• Posted

Mine def chemical imbalance caused by stupid doctor making me go cold turkey off zopiclone after 12 years, wouldn't have thought dieting would affect it more likely be issues with your mother. Had bit better night so will carry on taking on them during the day for the moment. Think until things improve maybe won't make lot progress as impossible to distract myself much.Does sound as if US will come out lockdown before us. All been handled badly here, should have brought in restrictions lot earlier and provided sufficient protection for NHS stuff. I've had symptoms for over year so will take while I think. No not on facebook.

• Posted

Glad you had a better night , that's encouraging ,hope your day goes better as well .

Yesterday was different , feel like this crap is going away slowly . However , today is going much better , so far .

Not having as many bad moments and feeling brighter !

So i guess the upped dose is what was needed .

Praying the virus is contained soon , news is up and down . Trying not to watch too much .

Just thought id ask about Facebook , think it helps me to communicate with others especially now but i know others that aren't

on facebook , one is my husband , he's not too keen about it 😃

• Posted

Good it is working well for you, I'm sort of resigned it's going to take a while to help me as mine caused by chemical damage from the zopiclone and apparently can take 18- 24 months for things to improve in withdrawal. My mood has improved which is something but the thoughts still the same. Hopefully the 10mg will improve things. You are fortunate things improving so quickly for you does seem to take while for lot people, anyway least it's working well for one of us which is good news. This lock down doesnt help, going try dyeing my hair tomo as God knows when I will get to the hairdresser again!!!.

• Posted

You and me both ! Hairdresser might be awhile away 😦 Getting bored with my hair , want to get a new style so badly ! Mostly wearing a baseball cap.

Trying a new product called Truhair by chelsea scott , love it !! Havent colored my hair in almost 3 mths . its a powder r that is applied at your roots and other areas on your hair that you want coverage . Washes out , doesnt come off on pillows etc .

And i an very thankful that the meds are working , going on 5 weeks now so thank God things are improving . My hubby is starting to get a little grouchy , maybe a little depressed too from the lockdown,

Hoping for better news about that situation .

So sorry that the other meds caused more problems , that stinks , still a newbie to cit

but i bet you'll see more improvement very soon . Just so hard for others to understand whats going on and the daily struggle .

Stay well and maybe this week will be better , one day at a time:-)

• Posted

Normally get my hair coloured at hairdresser every 10weeks due now the grey showing through so will give it go only a semi permanent so not too drastic. Yes long term friend broken off contact with me told me diwn to me to get better. She's ver overweight. I said got another friend who struggles with her weight it's like me telling her up to her to loose the weight, which i wouldnt do as not that easy. Got told i was self obsessed and alienated everyone who ever loved me. Should let it go but has affected me as tried several times try build bridges she wont reply.

• Posted

Oh wow , some people .

all i can say is what a shame and true friends stick with you through the good and bad .

Sometimes its best to just move on 😦

The most strained relationship I have is with one of my daughter in laws .

She seems to like putting my son in the middle , then she blames me ! Oh infuriating !!

but over the years of having my feelings crushed ive learned that it is what it is , cant change her .

But its gotten a bit better over the years ,mainly i guess from me ignoring the put downs , her maturing and she has gotten more involved in church . Still not easy ...

Hope you are having a better day , mine is bout the same .

Great day yesterday although late evening seem to be the same , anxiety kicks up a notch .

Have follow up appt Thursday . Don't know if its needs upped again or Im thinking of switching to Lexapro .

Have you ever taken Lexaoro ?

• Posted

Only ever taken sertraline as well which was awful. Think lexapro is a stronger version of citalopram? Did message someone else few times who had intrusive thoughts asking how long took her to improve but hasnt bothered to reply! Would be helpful to know how long others took for their thoughts to improve. How long have you been on the 20mg don't know how long it's best to leave it before increasing as haven't go much experience with anti depressants. Everyone seems different did mess me up bit swapping to sertraline but others seem fine swapping meds.

• Posted

Definitely be good to know when the thoughts go away !!

Thanks for your advice regarding Lexapro , youre most likely right about sticking with the Cit a few more weeks .

Upped the dose to 20 mg 6 days ago , been taking total a mth .

Haven't heard or read anything good about sertraline . Glad you confirmed, ill steer clear .

Sis was on prozac for almost 20 years , switched to Lexapro a few mths ago . Says its great , much better than the other .

Think ill ask the doc , shell probably leave it as is .

hope your day is going well.

• Posted

Don't know how old you are but for my age group 20mg is the highest recommended dose. Do think the current situation is maybe affecting how well the meds are working. If you've had few good days does sound optomistic see what the doctor thinks. As you say would be helpful if knew what others experience was. My hair seem OK so far this time so hoping will be OK?

• Posted

Iiwas thinking taking escitalopram did post on the forum, someone said apparently you have take half the dose you take with citalopram so presume it's stronger but your doctor would be able to confirm. I' don't know a lot about SSRI's took seroxat about 15 years ago when going through menopause for about 6monts. but that's it. Your doctor should hopefully advise you best thing to do.

• Posted

How did your hair color turn out ?

Hooe its to your liking . i color mine at home occasionally , gets pricey at the hair salon .

I'm sixty , ooh seems so old but as most say ,i don't feel it most days 😃

Dont know what the doc will say .. youre right about the escitalopram being stronger , I compared it with citalopram , online research and that was confirmed .

You know how docs are . They have their opinions and dont usually like to hear ours 😦

However , Im going to ask,

Not 100 % sure i want to change , having some improvement so i dont want to interfere with progress .

Things improving with your increased dose I hope 😃

• Posted

Hair colour was OK got appointment with hairdresser next month if she's back. So good the meds are working for you. Feeling pretty low after 4 weeks lockdown every day the same, havent been able have proper holiday for about 18 months and despair ever having nirmal lufe at times. Ido get frustrated with this forum sometimes when you never get a response from people maybe I'm on it too much. Will have look back see if anyone else suffered with intrusive thoughts. Could be adjusting to higher dose I guess.. But if you are seeing imrovement sounds like the right dose for you. I'm getting stage think I'll be stuffed forever.

• Posted

Thanks , i am seeing improvement , prayers and the meds are working , still have some unwanted thoughts , ugh i hate them !!

However I' m better than i was a mth. ago , less thoughts and able to push away .

Yesterday was good later in the evening , sometimes its better during the day and other times it isnt , don't know why that is .

Guess I'll ask the doc either up dose or change meds , see what she advises .

So sorry youre not feeling better .

That has to be so discouraging . Do wish you could convince your doc to prescribe some kind of anti anxiety med.

i think it would help as your dose increases .

Been on 20 mg a week today , i know it has helped . I don't take the hydroxyzine as often , just took for sleep last night ,

• Posted

Thats good sounds like you are one of the lucky ones that meds work fairly quickly for. Had some very helpful advice from someone else it seem 3 months is quite usual before things start improving. Also feeling depressed when you change dose which is what I'm getting. Will go back to taking at night as seem got worse since took them during the day. The doctors here conducting appointments by phone pointless contacting him wont give me anything. Good at least you are doing well hope it continues for you

• Posted

Agree with you , think i need to switch to night time , started out early am , moved to just after lunch but makes me so sleepy .

Glad you had some helpful advice , Even though the meds are working , im still not where I want to be after taking for a month .

But i am very thankful that im feeling improvement each day .. Takes time I guess ..

Asking doc tomorrow about starting lexapro or staying with Cit .

Keep you posted on what I find out .

Hope you see improvement with each day .

• Posted

Discussed with doc .

She advised to stay on 20 mg of Cit for 2 more weeks and follow up. If needed she'll increase dosage.

Four weeks after that discuss another med if Cit isnt doing the job .

But im hoping and praying that things are much improved before then and just stay on Citi .

She also said i could switch from mid day to night time to take Cit . said it wouldnt cause side effects to move meds a few hours out . So we'll see .

Hope you're having a better day .

• Posted

That sounds sensible you are doing really well to be having some improvements think you are about 5 weeks like me? Least your thoughts have improved a bit while mine are still looming. Lot people don't seem notice any improvement until 3 months it seems. Think they just seem to take a while to kick in. The depression has lifted a bit, do think the current situation not helping and don't think meds are going to work as well as they normally would. We are in lockdown for another 3 weeks, programme on TV last night about the county I live in apparently got lot cases and 2 local hospitals seem to be hubs for positive patients. Think switching back to taking a night has worked better. As i say you are doing well to already be improving.

• Posted

Thanks , really grateful to see some improvement .

Like you , she said the situation isnt helping even those that dont usually experience anxiety .

Yep , im going

• Posted

on 5 weeks of taking Cit .

Didnt push to switch meds .

So we'll see .

Another 3 weeks on lockdown is pretty much what we expect to hear later today when they make announcements .

Be great to get out an about again !

Miss the smallest things that wont take for granted again !

Take care , stay well ❤

• Posted

Pretty depressing when other countries in Europe easing restrictions. Been handled badly should have started restrictions lot earlier here and tested people and given staff the right ppe gear. Did say on news Trump is pushing to have restrictions lifted?

• Posted

Think he said 2 more weeks which may be subject to change ...

Be so glad when things are back to normal or at least semi normal .

How are you doing ?

I didnt have such a great day yesterday , hoping for better days .

• Posted

Still about the same not getting any worse which is something. Finding another 3 weeks of lockdown very depressing. Have been saying on news how was badly handled here and didnt bring in measures soon enough, still not doing enough testing. Talk about everyone might have wear masks so have ordered some. Don't think I'll improve great deal until some sort of ease up as it's impossible to try get your life back to normal.

• Posted

Yes being shut in and not seeing family and friends certainly isnt helping!

Good you're not getting any worse .

I had not so great last couple of days , changed meds to bed time , not sure if that was best decision since it seems cant get to sleep and thoughts have been busier ,ugh .

weird that i was sleepy during the day when i took the cit at lunchtime.

Getting tired of these meds taking so long .. 5 weeks seem like forever , i know you can relate !

Give it a couple more weeks i suppose .

Hope youre having a good day .

• Posted

Yes I know what you mean. I do think they are going to take longer to work at the moment to be honest with everything going on. I had bad period couple months ago didn't want to mix with people, now am desperate to but can't. Think having distractions trying to do normal stuff helps the anxiety but impossible at moment. Had bit wobbly day tried to reconnect with friend blanked me won't even reply to text any little thing sets me off. See how it goes taking them at night, I was other way round was worse taking them during the day. Our goverment very frustating won't give any indication when things might ease.

• Posted

They're supposed to start slowly removing restrictions etc .

News says infections are declining so I pray when we do go out that it will be safe . Husband says we'll have to wear masks for awhile .

Like you , i cant wait to see people , especially family ! Even ones i dont like ( , kidding 😃 Started a virtual yoga class , a friend of mine is the instructor , really enjoy it ! Get to talk and visit with others online . Not the same as in person but it works .

Sorry you had a not so great day, the last couple of days for me havent been going so well .

Seems like Ive taken couple steps back again , ugh !!!! Not sure if its changing time of day to take meds or it could be like you said the situation isnt helping anxiety . Need more distractions , that would help .

Your friend will hopefully get back with you , maybe she's not in a good mood or just having a bad day .

Either way , hope we both have a better day tomorrow:/)

• Posted

Given up with friend told me I'd alienated everyone who ever loved me. Does have lot issues Ithink very overweight last time saw them just my husband went and caught her binge eating in kitchen just after had a meal. Do find your true friends when going through this. Have read swapping doses does put you back to square one so think maybe will take us bith while longer to improve. Seems US will come out lockdown before us, we were very slow to take measures so death toll high and ministers being pushed to say what exit strategy muight be.. I started on line pilates as normally i do it snyway.

• Posted

Whoa , she sounds like my mother except for the weight part , but the hateful comment sounds familiar .Definitely know who your true friends are when going thru difficult times .

Started taking meds after lunch again , see how it goes . Must be true what you said about swapping doses , hasn't been pleasant so i' ll keep taking consistently after lunch !

Want to try pilates , wanted to buy the pilates reforner but most exercise equipment winds up in the garage or yard sale 😃

• Posted

Had a really awful couple days thoughts awful but think it's adjusting to taking 10mg remember first couple weeks were tough. Has upset me about friend trying move on, she's been on cit for years and seen psychiatrists in past so though she might be more understanding came out with lot nasty comments. Has given me hope what CLH19 replied to you, at moment feel thoughts will never leave me. I tried yoga and pilates prefer pilates don't use fancy equiptment though. Had quite few headaches recently but think that's new dosage. Your sister is very unusual to have results so quickly so don't give up.

• Posted

Oh hate you've had crummy days lately , i can relate 😦

Today has been some better , thank God !

So hope the meds start working better for you , its so upsetting to have those awful intrusive thoughts especially since they eased a bit .

Thats how last couple days were , ugh just hate it ! But better today .

CHL19's post helped me tremendously , so encouraging and helpful. Glad it helped you too ,:-)

My sister was very fortunate . she had general anxiety so her problem didnt take very long to get under control . She doesnt understand intrusive thoughts , dont suppose one does unless they've experienced it .So nice communicating with you and others helpful comments that give us hope that things will get better , just takes time ❤

• Posted

Still not great think the main problem at moment is haven't got enought to do to occupy my brain. Does help to hear what CH said gives us a bit of hope. Read in one of the books I got the main problem with intrusive thoughts/OCD is that we can't accept there is uncertainity in life we need proof that what we are thinking isn't true which of course won't happen. Think is definitly some sort of chemical imbalance so hopefully meds will eventually help glad I upped dose as 5mg was definitely too low to do much in my case. But as you say gets frustrating when don't get a lot of progress.

• Posted

Ive been on Citalopram for just over 8 weeks, started on 10mg for just under 3 weeks, then 5 weeks 4 days on 20mg. I spoke to my doctor last week and my mood is still quite low and she said there should of been some improvement by now. She wants me to increase to 30mg, but from what you have put on here I should be giving it at least 8 to 12 weeks on the same dosage. Whats your thoughts

• Posted

Hello!!

When i increased from 5 mg 1st week , 10 for a couple weeks , saw 0 improvement , worst time in my life . Upped to 20mg ,have stayed at 20 mg. Having never taken antidepressants I didnt know what to expect . Read others experiences and found their advice to be true in that it took 6 weeks to start seeing ANY improvement . 8 weeks really started to kick in and now at almost 3 mths I feel great !! Thank God !!

My doc did increase to 40 mg. however I opted to stay at 20mg . Tried 30 mg for a couple days and just felt exhausted .

The only side effects I've had were excessive yawning , tiredness so started taking CIt at bedtime and its so much better .

Hope that helps and you feel better soon !

• Posted

Thankyou, can I ask how long you stopped on the 20mg before you started to see any improvement, I'm nearly 6 weeks on 20mg. after nearly 3 weeks on 10mg.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.