I was unlucky enough to suffer from a prolapsed disc bac...

Posted , 1 user is following.

I was unlucky enough to suffer from a prolapsed disc back in 1995,

I was given minimmal treatment as I had also had an operation for

ruptured ligaments in the left knee, this they think was the cause of the prolapse as I must have been walking and favouring the left leg.

I can honestly say the sciatic pain I felt was the worst ever experienced nothing helped at all , no amount of pain killers heat pads

etc helped , I suffered in total for 7months and was also diagnosed

with depression brought on by the pain , I was treated for this and the anti-depressants dulled alot of pain .

24March 2005 out of the blue another episode of sciatic pain so bad

it caused problems with loss of feeling in the bladder and bowel area.

This time I was admitted to hospital and hospitalised for 10 days I was given good pain managment and given an epidural injection of steriods and pain killers , this ( god willing ) seems to have worked .

I would recomend anyone suffering with this sort of pain to seek help as soon as possible as this condition has no guarantee as to how long each episode will last and as to how well it responds to sufferers.

I was pumped full of pain killers

[i:da5804f739]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:da5804f739]

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have also had sciatica since a car wreck 2 1/2 years ago. I went to an othopedic, had physical therapy, used a tens unit and saw a neurosurgeon I had three of the epidural nerve blocks about 3 months apart. The first one was wonderful, I was pain free for over a month, I thought I was cured, but unfortunately these blocks wear off. The second and third block didn't help at all. The neurosurgeon said I would just have to live the rest of my life on pain pills. I am currently waiting for an appointment to see another neurosurgeon for a second opinion as my pain as gotten much worse and more persistant. I am currently taking mobic, darvocet and muscle relaxers, but I can only take the darvocet and muscle relaxer when I go to bed as they make me extremely drowsy. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the second neurosurgeon may have some suggestions that will help.

[i:e08ad6d3e6]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:e08ad6d3e6]

• Posted

hi there , i can understand what your going through i spernt last year unable to walk in constant pain like you i was on different pain killers which made me drosey i have 5 children and it was a nightmare nobody really understood what i was going through, i had a mmr scan and the out come was i need surgery to remove a disc' 11 months on i feel it was the best thing i done pain free. dont give up push it further like i did. michelle

[i:b70b1d09c5]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:b70b1d09c5]

• Posted

I HAVE HAD SEVERE BACK PAIN AND SCIATICA FOR ALMOST 11 WEEKS,I AM WAITING TO BE REFERRED FOR AN MRI SCAN,THE PAIN IS INDESCRIBABLE,ITS GOOD TO HEAR OTHER COMMENTS,AND DOES GIVE ME HOPE FOR THE FUTURE.

[i:bbe7534c5c]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:bbe7534c5c]

• Posted

Hi there. My husband has today come out of hospital after having tests for severe back pain and also losing the feeling of bowel and bladder. We were told it was a burst disc. The surgeon said he could operate but would suggest waiting 3 weeks or so as it could right itself. Hopefully, when we return in three weeks, we will get the good news that he has come through it without going under the knife.

[i:e271c5926b]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:e271c5926b]

• Posted

Hi. I am 21 years old and have had a prolapsed disc since i was 16 years old. I never have a day without pain and take painkillers every single day and also have to take anti inflamatories and muscle relaxants frequently. I have osteopathy or physio every single week and hardly anything helps. Swimming offers little comfort yet cycling and walking do a little. This condition has caused major problems for my education and life in general.

Does anyone else suffer from similar problems? If so please give me advice on what helps you.

[i:2d0376c609]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:2d0376c609]

• Posted

HELP IS THERE ANYONE WHO HAS HAD THE SAME AS MYSELFA TRAPPED NERVE IN MY BACK LEADING TO A OPP I WAS FINE NO MORE PAIN I COULD WALK AGAIN BUT 2YRS DOWN THE LINE IT HAS ALL CAME BACK MY 2ND SCAN IS FINE BUT I HAVE LOST ALL FEELING IN MY FOOT THE PAIN IS REALY BAD I TRIP UP A LOT AND FEEL A FOOL MY NEURO SAYS IT COULD BE SCARRING OF THE TISSUE WHAT IS THAT CAN IT BE SORTED PLEASE GIVE MEANY HELP ON THIS PLEASEEE

[i:754108ac06]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:754108ac06]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.