I was using sertraline75mg for more than one year.

Posted , 5 users are following.

After this time , the symptoms were back where it started, the Dr now prescribed me venlafaxine 50mg after running a enzyme gene test to see what medication works best for me.

I havent take any pill yet , im just afraid of changing meds, he also gave trazodone 50mg.. any advice?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hon, your post isn't clear to  me. Are you saying you came off sertraline after a year and "relapsed" with the condition you were put on it for?  How did you come off of it?  This is important, because if you come off too fast from these drugs, even over the course of six to 8 weeks, it is too fast and will have withdrawal symptoms that seem like the original condition.  Not all of us can come off these drugs and have "withdrawal" end within 6 weeks, which is what doctors tell you it may take and that anything beyond that is "something else."  Simply not true.  There are people who were put on ADs for something other than anxiety and depression, such as chronic pain or PMS, and then have anxiety and depression in withdrawal.  This is an important distinction because it means you are likely NOT sick again though it may seem the same (usually worse).  Some of us just have to go much slower than that to succeed in getting off the meds after they have done their job.  Trust me, you don't need to be on these meds for years but that is what will happen if you go on the medi-go-round.

• Posted

Hi Betsy. I was on sertraline until i got my enzyme,test results .Once I got the results, I started lowering my sertraline dose per my doctor's order before i was supposed to start taking venlafaxine. I stopped sertraline like almost 2 months but never started taking venlafaxine .

I was feeling better without any meds and started doing more exercises and other activities. Sometimes, i feel a lil depressed and with anxiety and think about taking the venlafaxine but im not sure what to do...

• Posted

It is perfectly safe to do a straight swap from sertraline to venlafaxine without cross tapering or having a drug free period. The best thing to do is bite the bullet and start taking the venlafaxine. I did this swap and I was prepared for some side effects after what I'd read but actually had very little issues at all. Mild headaches for a few days and that was all. In fact I felt a lot better on the ven within 5 or 6 days! I wasn't lucky enough to be given an enzyme test so my change was a "try and see" and was plain sailing...

When increasing later on (I'm now on 225mg) I had headaches and heightened anxiety but that only lasted 3ish weeks smile Hope that helps xx

• Posted

Hi. I got the venlafaxine prescription almost 2 months ago but never took any pills bc i was feeling better.

Sometimes i feel like i need to take something for anxiety and depression but i waited too long , i guess.

Thanks for the info!

• Posted

I was in setraline for 3 years then it stopped working,tried many others but ended up in hospital,I had ect and was prescribed venlafaxine ,it really helped me,I'm now weaning off it,on 37.5 mg at the moment

• Posted

Are you based in the US? I’ve not heard of the enzyme test? Interesting! x
    • Posted

Yes, Tanya. Im from IL. It's very interesting. When they give you the results, it comes with a list of 3 categories from low, moderate and best meds for you . The enzymes test determine how fast or slow is your metabolism to absorb any of these drugs. My psychiatric ordered the test for me.

• Posted

Thank you. That’s really interesting. I’ll have to research to see if that is available in the uk. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.