I went to see a consultant for my knee pain.

Posted , 6 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

He looked at past x-rays and decided I had a torn cartilage. I was not sent for a MRI scan to confirm this. He put me on the waiting list for surgery. I was referred to another consultant for this surgery in a different hospital. I had this surgery approximately 11 days ago and when I went to have my stitches out I was told there was nothing wrong with my cartilage, the problem we behind my knee cap and they couldn't do anything for me. Is it normal not to have a MRI before diagnoses.

0 likes, 6 replies

Report

6 Replies

  • Posted

    I had x-rays and mri and was told I had debris on my joint and a torn cartridge. When I had the op I was told afterwards there was no damage just debris due to arthritis. They had washed this out so no stitches just two small incisions. 3 months later my knee is worse than before the op. Constant pain and discomfort.
    Report
    • Posted

      I had Xray and MRI and surgeon said there was considerable wear and tear behind the knee. Following a few weeks of physiotherapy he performed arthroscopy. He shaved off some loose cartilege and smoothed out the arthritis as best he could. Now I am in worse pain and have been back to see surgeon who drained fluid from my knee and gave me a steroid injection. Only got relief for about a week. He said I will have to consider replacement knee which I really was hoping wouldnt be the case. The pain is definitely worse since the arthroscopy. Dont know if it was a good idea to have had this done.
      Report
    • Posted

      I had arthroscopy on my right knee last October and for 6 weeks it was great but after that it all went pear shaped

      I can't walk properly, my leg is weak and I keep getting that catching feeling.

      My knee is worse than pre op but the surgeon said it might be.

      Report
  • Posted

    Morning natalie I had an arthroscopy after being unable to move my right knee, I had level 5 arthritis on the miniscal side, he cleaned it up as best he could repaired the tear cartlidge and knee cap damage and hoped for the best. Although the MRI showed the arthritis it did not show the extent, since the op I have had a steriod injection and a hylronic acid injection (poor spelling) none have improved the situation. I now await the decsion I have been dreading on the 27th March, which is to replace the knee.  Its like my life is on pause.
    Report

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up