I woke up with a new accent - help!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello everyone. I'm new here, and I really just came to see what info I could find about this problem I'm having. I've been doing some research and it seems like a real issue, but a very strange one.

I had a severe migraine and could only take my naratriptan long into it, meaning my migraine was still going when I decided to lay down. I was only able to actually sleep for about 30 minutes before I woke up, migraine gone, much to my relief. However, when I started talking, I noticed that the way I speak has changed drastically.

I've only ever lived in one area my whole life and I've only ever spoken one language fluently, though I'm learning Japanese. But suddenly, I sound as though English is my second language -- I still speak clearly and people can understand me, but I do sound as though I'm not from the US.

From what I've read it looks to be a neurological problem, but an EXTREMELY rare one. I exhibit no other symptoms at all, apart from a slight balance issue that I've had for a long time prior to this. I'm currently in treatment for anorexia and we've changed my meds around some recently: upped Lamictal and Geodon, added Prazosin, and decreased Wellbutrin XL. I've passed out a couple times in the past due to the anorexia, but I've never sustained any brain damage from falls. I'm well into the refeeding process as well, so that's not likely to be the issue.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm currently fighting my insurance company over coverage for my neurologist so seeing her isn't an option until the issue is settled. I'm pretty concerned but as I've stated, there are no other neurological symptoms present.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.