I wonder if I have a milde type of "silent" asthma?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I know some of you are going to hate my peak flow scores :-) but I need to post since I need some help.  I peak out around 810 when I'm 100% clear and the stars align, despite being in late 40s.  Average for my height/weight/age is 620.  I have history of endurance sports and still in reasonable shape so one doc explained it that way.

After a re-flair up and some meds I've been clear for a few weeks (no Ventolin needed).  However I noticed my peak scores drifting into the low 700s this week so I got curious.  I also noticed a slight clearing cough in the morning like I had a little mucus in my very upper chest, but it's extremely minor and rare.  

So today I came in at 730, on the low end of what I've seen last 2 weeks. I blew about 5 tries to make sure I couldn't get higher then took two puffs Ventolin, waited 15 minutes, and voila I blew 770 without much trouble.  So that is 5%.  But other than that peak score no other symptoms, however my nose was going off and my chest had a very slight "oppressive" feel but no specific tightness.

FYI when I get asthma properly I will wheeze, I feel it coming first then I can hear it and then as it gets worse others can hear it.  I was nowhere near that territory and frankly if I had not taken my peak flow this mornin I would have gone about my day without a thought of using Ventolin.

So I though to myself "Wow, I never seen that in 40 years.  I wonder if I also have some type of 'silent" asthma - is there such a thing?"  Well I asked the Google and guess what - there is.

A few questinos:

1. Anyone know more in depth about this?

2. Any similar experiences?

3.  Does it matter? I'm pretty sensitive to my wheezing so if I'm not thinking about Ventolin should I even bother with peak scores?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

1. i dont know too much about the silent type since i was recently diagnosed but

2. yes. i do not have wheezing with asthma. not even asthma attacks oddly enough.

3. you should probably bother with peak scores, if theyre too low it may mean you need to manage your asthma better.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply!

How low is "too low"?  Doc said 15% which would be about 690 for me would mean mild (or maybe she said medium?) asthma.

How much do your scores vary without wheezing and how do you notice it?

• Posted

Not wishing to be rude, but it sounds as though you are a hyperchondriac!

My peak flow on a good day is 440. On a bad day it's 20.

I seriously think you may just have mild hay fever.

If you live in the States I'd say get another Doctor.

• Posted

As stated above I expected some hate-mail :-)  I am posting this in the vein of medical curiosity rather than suggesting I am worried about serious asthma.  

In theory, if I'm 100% clear, 2 puffs Ventolin should not make a jot of difference.

• Posted

you really have some good peak flow readings. I wouldn't take them that offen if mine were that high, which mine is no where near that. But yes your wheezing is asthma but do you just use your inhaler ? Or did the doctor  give you other medications ? Like is it allergy related or happens when you exercise ? Things to discuss with your doctor 

• Posted

I'm currently on Qvar 40 2 puffs 3 times a day, and came off Serevent diskus a couple weeks back.   Had asthma since I can remember (age 5) but it was more severe when young (up all night wheezing, steroids etc).  I had a flair up a month ago and went back on preventers for first time in a decade.

I never bothered with peak flow much before, but the doc that saw me for flair up insisted I try it (I just wanted my prescription for Qvar and get out of there, but so it goes...)  I'm only checking every day out of curiosity.

My allergies are pollen, dust mites, a few select foods, and very badly dog dander.  But the dogs I can stay away from, and I won't let other peoples dogs near my house or cars.

When I wheeze properly it is obvious - it starts as tickle down the middle front, sometimes middle back, then wheezing I can hear, then other people can hear it.  But in the case above I was not wheezing which is why it is curious.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.