I work as a physio and treating patients with chest infe...

Posted , 1 user is following.

I work as a physio and treating patients with chest infections doing a rotation on respiratory, I developed chronic sinusitis due to re-current infections that winter.

The main symptoms that I had were re-current colds/infections, with sometimes yellow pus coming through my tear ducts as well as out of my nose!! The inability to breath through my nose, tiredness, some pain on pressure of the cheek area close to the nose and constant spots on my nose and cheek area – despite being well past my teenage years!

I went to the doctor again and again and was given courses of antibiotics and steroid drops which did not work. I was referred to an ENT consultant and given a scan which revealed that I had a blocked left Maxillary sinus – in the central cheek area.

He prescribed a nasal sea salt spray, in a can, but I did not get on with this due to my system not liking the propellant which seemed to cause more nasal swelling than it relieved.

I did a search on the internet and came across a device for spraying sea water up the nose but it was expensive. I then heard of an old Indian device called a “Netty pot”. This is a container which is filled with salt water (I use 1 teaspoon of sea salt to a pint of boiling water which I then leave to cool to body temperature) and then lying on your side with the cheek parallel to the ground, you pour the salt water through your upper nostril and it comes out via the nasal passages through the lower nostril. During the first session I could not believe the amount of gunk that came out. I persisted with it ever morning and evening and after a few weeks the situation came to a resolution. I still use the “Netty pot” on a regular basis especially during the winter and it seems to help keep colds at bay.

[i:6aff8185fd]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:6aff8185fd]

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Please can you tell me where you found your Netty pot, as I would like to try this remedy. What does it look like and would anything else act as a substitute? Thank you.:roll:

[i:1b35462183]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:1b35462183]

• Posted

Please can you tell me where you found your Netty pot, as I would like to try this remedy. What does it look like and would anything else act as a substitute? Thank you.

[i:6d3a64f53a]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:6d3a64f53a]

• Posted

Please can you tell me where you found your Netty pot, as I would like to try this remedy. What does it look like? and what might act as a substitute if I am unable to get one? Thank you.

[i:b29bedd267]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:b29bedd267]

• Posted

You can find Netty (Netti) (Neti) pots on Ebay :D

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.