I would like to share my Migraine Cure

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have suffered migraines for 30 years and I believe I have finally found the cause. ORANGES! From about age 14, I got the aura, flashing lights, numb tongue, mouth and hand followed 30 minutes later by what I can only describe as like someone drilling through my head. I heard of food related migraine like cheese or chocolate but they didn't affect me. A few years ago, I noticed that when I ate an orange, my tounge would develop soar swollen areas which got me thinking I may be allergic to oranges. About 8 years ago, I needed an operation and was told my potassium levels were too low and so I was told you drink plenty of, yes, you've guessed it orange juice (and bananas) When I came round from the operation I had 4 simultaneous migraines on the bounce the most painfull I had ever suffered. My twin daughters have gone on to suffer the exact same migraines. One eats oranges and the other drinks orange juice. On Monday, my daughter drank orange juice for breakfast and before lunch, I had a phonecall to come and get her from school becuase of migraine. We have now banned oranges, orange juice and orange squash in fact anything ORANGE! So far so good, no migraines. I am not suggesting you all give up oranges but I would suggest that there is possibly something you are eating that is setting off your migraines. You might like to try an elimination diet to see if you can find yours. I really hope this helps someone becuase I know how painfull and debilitating migraines can be.

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Phil,

I have had migraines since 1988 and some of the triggers for me are any citrus fruits or bananas as well as anything with tyramine in it (cheese, caffine, nuts etc)

Hope you're ok now.

Ronnie

• Posted

Hi phil, I to discovered that any citrus fruit triggers my migraines. It's a nightmare because everything on our supermarket shelves has lemon juice in thier ingredients even mayo and garlic bread, just a couple of my favorite foods. I even have to leave the slice of lemon out of my Bacardi and coke (shocking I know). Xmas time is also a bit of a pain, again every shop bought xmas food has citrus peel or lemon juice. You are probable the only person I've heard of who has a similar trigger to myself. Usually when I mention this trigger to other migrainuers that look at me as if I'm nuts. I would cut anything out of my diet if I thought it would stop the horible pain of migraine.
    • Posted

Nanadotty, I had a set back on Tuesday. Having gone nearly 2 months with neither myself nor my daughters having a migraine, I had one on Tuesday despite not having any citrus fruit although I did have some lemon cake over a week ago. I did have Rhubarb in a crumble the day before and strawberries a few days before that. I understand these are also potential triggers. I don't get them very often so I would probably have to go a couple of years migraine free to be certain I have found all my triggers. I guess Rhubarb & strawberries are alos off the menu!
    • Posted

Hi

citrus is a known trigger. You just have to read every label and avoid it completely.

Now strawberries I eat daily and I love rhubarb. But everyone has different triggers. It is so hard and the pain of migraine is so awful, you have my total sympathy.

• Posted

Hi,

true, so true. I have avoided all citrus fruits for 25 years now. Also no cheese, chocolate or red wine or bananas. They all contain a chemical that causes migraine in those who are prone.

I also recommend cutting out sugar in every form, it does nobody any good.

• Posted

Hi phil! I too get migraines from only orange, from about the age of 11 i was getting very bad headaches, almost always leading to myself vomitting, i would have atleast 1 a week and my mum pointed out that one particularly bad case was after having a large orange with lunch, since I have avoided orange and only suffer about 2 times a year. The wierd part is it is only orange! I can have tangerines and satsumers etc yet 1 orange skittle and I am so ill! 

I am worried that with age it will intensify as my aunty had the same at my age and now cant have anything citrus.

• Posted

Hi everyone,

Things are working for me quite the other way around smile I've been having some terrible migraines for the past ten years and, after compiling some apparently disparate scraps of information, recently managed to do away with them by... eating an orange a day! First I thought it was all about the quasi-permanent lack of vitamin C in my diet, so there were days when I would replace the orange with a fresh lemon juice or a raw bell pepper... however, none of that did work whatsoever. The only type of food which managed to heal my migraines, up to this point, has been the orange which seems to give y'all here around such nasty headaches!

Best to you all smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.