I would like to share thoughts with other females

Posted , 4 users are following.

[b:a0eb31d414] I only gave up smoking 4 months ago, and although initially felt great benefits, I now find my chest really hurting again. I use Spiriva every morning & Ventolin as and when required. I am not wheezing or coughing as much as I used to but maybe I thought that being free of the weed was going to be a miracle cure. The medics are far too busy to care & mine did not even advise giving up the ciggies. Probably the profession now think that they don't get anywhere with patients by dictating to them. I don't know any other female sufferers and would love a chat to compare notes.[/b:a0eb31d414]

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi LIzzie, I'm Caz . I was diagnosed iwth c.o.p.d. some 13 yrs ago. at the age of 52. Over the years it has got progressively worse and I've ended up in ho.spital a few times with excerbations.I have been on prednisolone for 10 yrs.continously starting AT 5MG daily then but now even 40mg daily is not much good. I also use Serevent Ventolin and Atrovent inhalers and three lots of nebulisers along weith about 25 pills per day. Mind you, I do have other illnesses including diabetes etc.,etc., Life is a bit of a struggle at the moment to say the least- been in hospital 3 times already this year but there is nothing that can be done. I do hope that you have a very long way to go yet. I have quite a bit of experience in this field so if I can be of any help in any way please get in touch. Bestwishes.
  • Posted

Hi Lizzie53, don't know how I missed this - but I did. I hope you are still checking for replies. I gave up smoking last March and also expected a life altering change - which did not happen. The problem is that the damage we do through smoking is permanent. Good news is once we stop it means we are not doing further damage. I'm sorry you feel the medics are not interested. My GP was initially not much use but I saw a fantastic nurse at the hospital and she has been a tremendous source of support for me. Also, I read up on my condition so I could stand up to the GP and tell them what I want, what I need, what I think is worth trying, etc and this has greatly improved matters and I get a much better service. Maybe you need to learn more about your own condition then get a little more pushy? Don't despair, in among the bad times are better days. Keep on with the meds, ask about lung reduction surgery and lung transplants if your condition is severe, try to get plenty of exercise, eat healthy and SMILE, being positive really does help. I managed to go back to work, have several holidays abroad, etc. Life is not what it was but it is still good.

Jacee

• Posted

[size=18:a65b850b74][/size:a65b850b74]i QUIT over a year ago, have got COPD and it does take a while for your lungs to clear up a bit, I go nothing but chest infections, but also one of the inhalers made me worse, I am on Spiriva Respimate finf it easier to use than the other one, Symbicort and Ventolin now.....

Dont give up.my goal now is to slose the weight I put on...thinks its harder than quitting lol :lol:

• Posted

You are right PEM, the weight is difficult, especially if, like me, you stop smoking AND take a lot of steroids for chest infections. I managed to put four and a half stones in 9 months! Still, its better than being a smoker and I can work on trying to lose the weight.

Jacee :D

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.