I would like to try Selincro to control my drinking but my Gp hasn't heard of it

Posted , 4 users are following.

My doctor referred me to Turning point but they are unable to prescribe selincro but are offering support and sending me back to GP in the hope he will prescribe for me.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

The recommendation is that Selincro/Nalmefene is given only in conjunction with psycho-social support. At least if you have this, that is one hurdle overcome and your GP should consider it favourably.

There will be a discussion about this drug on Radio 5 Live on Monday at around 3pm. I will be involved, as will one other person who posts in this forum.

• Posted

Will I be able to listen on catch up ?

Where do I go if Doctor will not prescribe for me he did comment before that he knew nothing of it and he said it was expensive? 

• Posted

Yes Linda, on BBC iPlayer.

It's not good enough that a doctor 'knows nothing about it' smile It is the doctor's job to know more than the patient and, if a drug is mentioned that he doesn't know, he should make a note and look it up!!

• Posted

Thank you I can't get an appointment with same GP until next week so I hope turning point have written to him because I am desperate to be taking these over Christmas I don't want my family joking about auntie in the corner again. I want to drink normally and be happy with just one or two drinks not keep going till its gone or I fall asleep!
    • Posted

How can a Dr say he doesn't know about a certain drug. He would have a BNF book on his desk. Ok there are new drugs out all the time, I'm not saying a Dr should know every drug available, but to not use BNF and check it out is dreadful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.