I Wouldn't Wish This Upon my Worst Enemy

Posted , 7 users are following.

For the last 10 months I've been dealing with a chronic sense of imbalance and disequilibrium, predominately on the left side that stemmed from an incident of severe neck and upper back pain. I've posted on here before a few months back and have decided to post a follow up on my condition as well as to see if others have gone through similar problems. In mid January of this year I woke up was strain in my neck that worsened throughout the day and booked an appointment with a Chiropractor the follow day on a monday. I've seen this Chiropractor 8 times in 4 years on top of doing yoga semi-regulary in the same time period. I was in a lot of pain even after the adjustment (I didn't expect one adjustment to fix things right away) and took some fishoil and ordered a cervical pillow to be delivered the following day. Couldn't sleep through the night and took ibuprofen every 8 hrs. From Monday to Thursday of that week, I was bed ridden until that Friday when I had less pain and decided to walk to the store and noticed this sense of imbalance that still hasn't dissipated.

Since then I've had multiple blood tests done, had an MRI, and last month had a Hearing and Balance test done. I've seen an ENT 3 times and am on a waiting list to see a Neurologist (I'm in Canada). Some of the medications I've been prescribe were: Baclofen, Naproxen, Beta-Histine, Beclomethasone nasal spray. Next week I'm going to see a physio-chrio to get x-rays of the spine and have an examination done. These last 10 months have not been fun and I can't really work (use to do home renovation and security). I'm 32 and weigh 150 lbs and my condition hasn't really changed. Has anyone else experienced this or have recovered from this? I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy but I still remain hopeful that science can save people like us.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear you are not feeling well I'm battling dizziness and lightheadedness since June. Pretty much I was bed ridden till end of October. I am not able to drive or work. In my case after doing all possible tests and seeing numerous doctors in August it turned out to be my jaw. My jaw got pushed backwards pressing on my ears, nerves and veins due to bad bite (dental malpractice). This structural problem caused issues with neck muscles, constant dizziness, knots in shoulders and pain in hips/lower back. I started orthotic therapy 24/7 in the end of September and just now seeing some results. I am able to sit and not be in bed whole day. I was taking for dizziness Meclizine and muscle relaxants. I am considering starting Betahistine medication. Pray I can start driving again and get my life back. Good luck to you and you need to fight to get to the bottom of this. In my case chiropractors helped a lot but I have been going to them 3 times a week for the past 3 months.

• Posted

I too am in Canada, I know all to well the wait times to see an neuro. I saw 3 ENT;s until the last one referred me to an neuro

I have really bad facial pressure daily that plugs my left ear, and am all off balance. The dizzys are really quick bursts, but seasonally I suffer BPPV. That can go on for up to 6 weeks. Just the nastiness.

I really hope you can get to the bottom of this

• Posted

maybe you should go to a cervical chiropractor. they are not regular chiropractors. it sounds like you already know what caused your issue.

• Posted

I forgot to mention that I have been seeing clerical chiropractor for the past 3 months. He does adjustment to my neck and work on the tens neck muscles. Recently he also adjusts my hips. I also did cervical MRI and everything was fine. No pinched nerves or issues with the discs. These people can work some magic.

• Posted

hi mr. f. i went thru vestibular issues. had been diagnosed with BPPV Vestibular Neuritis -both of these were wrong diagnosis. i have vestibular migraines. all of these seem to overlap with symptoms. i had ititally seen a chiropracter for the BPPV. that didnt help. the nuerologist i saw said i was going to be disabled. waste and p****d me off because she just didnt care or try to help. the ENT-i saw tried to help and did. i asked her to try a treatment for Vestibular migraines. during my fog i noticed and started to realize i had a lot of headaches. i was getting treated by a vestibular PT- who said my neck , back, and shoulders were so tight because i was overcompensating trying to stay upright and moving slowly-like my neck very slowly to lessen the dizziness. you say you are from Canada-i am from new england. we have great hospitals in boston and the ENT did prescribe me -NOROTRIPTILINE-but admitted this was getting outside her expertise. she booked me an appointment with an OTONGOLOGIST-he is amazing and did all this testing to rule out every other vestibular issue because he did believe it is vestibular migraines. the norotriptiline started working immediately. i am now on a slow increase of the med to reset my brain. can you get an appointment with an otolongologist instead of a nuerologist. regular nuerologist dont know much about these disorders. i thought i was going to have to quite my job. since august i have worked full time with only taking scheduled days off for appointments ect. i have my life back because of this medicine. what did your blood test and balance test say? do you have a dizzy clinic attached to one of your hospitals ? this is where you should be. they need to rule out nerve damage ect. look up vestibular migraines. you dont even need the pain of the headache so it can be tricky to diagnose, when i was looking it up, i realized i had every symptom. even numbness in my hand. that is the aura. but many people dont have an aura. my hand was numb 24/7-for over 2 months. its not numb anymore . i wouldnt wish this on anyone and its not so common so when you try to explain it to family and friends thry just dont get it. the brain fog is like a brain injury. i thought my life was over. but the brain fog has been gone the day after i started the meds. now i only get dizzy when i watch moving objects. so i am now doing visual vertigo exercises. is it possible your neck strain is because you were overcompensating and didnt realize it? do you have access to a vestibular PT? i would recommend this over a chiropractor.

• Posted

Thanks for the suggestion of Nortriptyline. When a I see my doctor I'll bring it up with them.

• Posted

I, too have chronic vertigo, not because an injury, no idea why. THe Dr.'s never know either. I end up in an endless pipe dream with the medical system that throws me to the next Dr. who throws me to the next. My attacks are daily and last about three - four hours, and in between these attacks I am constantly losing my balance and dizzy. I am out of work now completely and making an income is not because I am prisoner to my vertigo. Driving has become dangerous and I stay at home day after day too anxious to leave anywhere for fear of having an attack in public...absolutely the worst. I have an e-commerce store and after one year is finally profiting a little. It is my dream to conceptualize a way for all of s vertigo sufferers to be able to make money from home to pay our bills and live life without at least the financial burden of not able to go out and work. I wish you the bet my friend.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that you've been going through vertigo. I hope that in the future medical advances will make progress on this issues.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.