Iam so depressed for the last few weeks just want to walk again on my own

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi iam kinda depressed I fell on ice on feb 7th of this year the next day I went to the hospital for X-rays I was told that I had broke my ankle on one side and serveally sprained it on the other side I was put in a half cask and had to see the bone doctor on Monday which I went he toke more X-ray than was told that I needed surgery which I had on feb 14th I had screws and a plate put in 2 weeks later went back to the doctor he toke the cast off and toke out the staples put me in a boot nwb for 2 weeks then parcels for 2 weeks now iam on full weight well I still can not walk in the boot my feet and leg gets edema so bad I have to keep up only can walk in boot with both crutches for small amount of time unable to go to pt cause. Insurence dose not pay for foot always numb and feel like there is a string around my toes and burning at the Area of the incessant I just want to walk on my own with out the crutches but iam so unable to walk I just don't know why 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I can gather from your message that you are not in UK - from your comment about insurance.  My injury was not same as yours as I didn't need surgery.  I broke my ankle on 31 Dec , felt trapped and depressed at first, but I didn't have to worry about cost of treatment as I have benefit of NHS in UK.  Feb 7th is not so long ago -- if you cannot get physiotherapy - do not panic,  There is excellent stuff online - for example this one

http://www.royalberkshire.nhs.uk/patient-information-leaflets/physiotherapy-ankle-fracture.htm

This is pretty much what my physio told me.

You will gradually get more confidence in walking - it takes time - do the exercises and then rest and elevate in between

Hoping all goes well for you

Sending hugs and positive vibes

• Posted

Forgot to say - I am now doing well - no crutches but if walking outside, I use my trekking poles.  Still a bit  slow and uneven gait - not happy on uneven ground -- but I can walk!!  Still swells occasionally - still have to elevate regularly - use compression socks --- You'll be fine soon, I hope

• Posted

I would get the swelling checked out by a dr. Have u got any pain in the calf or redness etc?
  • Posted

Hi Maria,  The depression is normal, our lives are turned upside down in a instant. It takes time to get mobility back, your not that far out from surgery. I was in a cast for 6 weeks after surgery, and a boot for 4, so you are weight bearing a lot sooner than I could. It is so important to do your exercises, hopefully your doctor gave you instructions since your not able to go to PT. Their also some video's on youtube that can be helpful. The numbness is totally normal, I am 7 months out and I still feel numbness in my toes. I also have the string feeling around my toes, my surgeon said it's from the nerves healing. 

All and all it just takes time, you will get there.

Good luck!

• Posted

So sorry for you.  What you are experiencing is very normal.  The pain as you begin to be more mobile is letting you know you are pushing a little too hard.  You also need to begin an exercise program.  Begin by wiggling your toes up and down and making circles with your foot Then try writing the alphabet with your foot.  That is the beginning.  Even though you can't go to PT, go to the public library or online to see if you can get directions for an exercise routine following ankle surgery.  I had a trimalleolar fracture on Sept. 7th last year and was able to walk almost normally by Christmas. So, do not give up hope.  Exercise a little bit more each day, listen to your body (pain will tell you when to stop), and know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.