Iatrophobia, 10 years of work, now it’s back with a vengeance

Posted , 2 users are following.

For more than 20 years I completely avoided medicine, medical professional, and medical situations, which (of course) were all conspiring to kill me. Then I got an infection that forced me to get treatment. That was the start of a ten-year effort to overcome this phobia, and until last week I thought I had been successful.

The appointment that caused my regression was with a urologist who, in a casual aside, mentioned that he wanted to do an invasive procedure on me to diagnose the source of some minor lower urinary tract symptoms. The procedure hadn't yet been scheduled. This appointment was a follow-up to a video appointment because the doctor wanted to examine me. To get me "off the ceiling" and into the clinic took no less than a crisis counselor, a therapist, and a peer counselor who stayed on the phone with me talking me through the process of just getting to the clinic. Once inside I felt like a condemned man walking his last mile my whole body was heavy, my movements stiff and slow, my mind numb. I felt pretty sure I was about to suffer - indignity, embarrassment, humiliation, pain, and my soul collapsing.

clearly, I survived long enough to find this online community and write this account, but it's only a reprieve. And the additional time has given me the chance to read other people's experiences and all the useless advice on the web. But in two weeks I'm scheduled for a flexible cystoscopy. My anxietywill probably do me in first. I am so terrified. I don't know how I'm going to make it through this time.

and of course I'm ashamed of myself for behaving like this.

1 like, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I totally get you, I had to have a counsellor on the phone with me to take a paracetamol, so you can see the extent of where I'm coming from. I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy booked for this Saturday. The word panic would be an understatement here, so I have done was every time that I would get a surge of panic I would say to myself: you are allowed to panic on the day itself, but not before. I just kept repeating this to myself, and just as well, because today they called me to say that they can't do it on Saturday and that they will call to reschedule. So that is my little nugget of advice: only allow yourself to panic on the day itself, not beforehand. Best of luck!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.