IBD and Orthopaedic Surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have ulcerative colitis and currently in a mild flare. Consultant isn't too concerned and suggests increasing regular maintenance dose of 2.4g pd Octasa to 4.8g but no immuno suppressants at this stage.

Two weeks ago I had knee surgery by arthroscopy to repair damaged meniscus cartilage and am disappointed at the slow recovery. Still a lot of swelling around the joint and difficult to walk. I went to see the physio today to be checked over and for some reassurance that  nothing serious is wrong. She agreed that recovery is slower than expected and suggested it may be because of the IBD flare. That is making sense to me. Anyone else had this experience? I've had joint pain in the past with UC but that was to do with tapering off steroids. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I have some experience of UC and know that DVT can be a problem with IBD sufferers so worth knowing about it. There is research to be found on the internet. IBD can affect blood clotting in the veins which can lead to swelling, needs to be taken into account where surgery or damage to the blood vessels has occurred. Worth asking your doctor about. 
  • Posted

I've had UC for around 13 years and haven't had a bad flare up in around 9 years (no medication - controlled completely through diet). I had ankle reconstruction surgery last year in April and suffered a DVT leading to a pulmonary embolism around 6 weeks following surgery. My surgery recovery was slow and i was non weight bearing for 6 weeks which would have been the main cause coupled with the fact i have an IBD. Anyway, please keep mobile, do all exercises prescribed and persist with it. I was only cleared to start running following my surgery end of May so 14 months of rehab (also the day before i went in for a shoulder reconstruction...)

• Posted

Hi Bethany, Sorry to hear you had a DVT and PE, did you have anticoagulation after you left hospital? Hope you are recovering well.
  • Posted

I had the same procedure a few years ago. It took me some time to get going again but I had great support from the physio. I lost a lot of muscle and had to work hard to build it up again. I decided to walk in time to music and set myself the task of walking from the bus stop to my home whilst listening to Prince - Pretty Little Red Corvette! Even when I had fully recovered I still couldn't get to the front door before the song finished but it did spur me on to get moving. As for the UK, there's no sign of it now. Instead I have diverticulitis which is causing me grief. Just can't win. Good luck with your recovery!

• Posted

Sorry should have read UC not UK. Sausage fingers!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.